Can I renew my EAD now?

greatangler

My EAD expires on 05/31/2004, I-140 still pending. I am planning to change a job, but my new employer might hesitate to see a EAD that expires soon. Can I renew my EAD now? Will Vermont center consider it too early to renew?

Thanks in advance!

Renew EAD now

Hi greatangler

It is better for you to start applying for renewal right now. It takes more than 3 months to get EAD renewal. I see people waiting for EAD renewal evenafter 3 months. Even in my case
already 95 days passed still no EAD. (I have an RFE which was replied on Dec 01 2003). It seems the renewal will not change any dates but it will start from the expiry date of the older one.
This is exactly the right time for you to renew.

Thanks
Sekar

why before 180 days?

Hi Kongmin

I don't know why you want to apply for
EAD 180 days before expiration. Is there anything you want to escape with or is it just a precaution? I would say better to apply around 4-5 months before expiry date. Seeing the trend at VSC this would be good enough cushion.

Sekar

Can you change employers with EAD and pending I-140 ? Does AC21 allow that?
I thought you are allowed to change employers after 6 months of applying for I-485 after I-140 approval.
I will soon be in this boat. So can anyone clarify this?

AC21's precondition is I140 Approval ..

I believe, you cannot work for different company while I140 is pending.

for AC21 type job changes, new Employers will just check the validity of EAD ( they know that EAD is valid for an year at anytime). In one case, Employer gave notice that EAD be renewed by certain date ( few days after the current EAD expiration).