Can I get DL or State ID with visa less than 6 monts

udayon45

Please help,

States PA an NJ is not giving me DL or state id as my H1B visa will expire within 6 months. I came to usa last month and I am not able to get any ID now. Can any one suggest me some solution to obtain either DL or ID. Is there any state in USA who can give me this? It is really urgent, please let me know your opinion soon.

Thanks in advance, Uday

Last edited by a moderator:
PA DMV rejected me many times. Finally I got DL ( Learner's ) from Edison DMV, New Jersey. It has my DL number but no photo. Its valid for 3 more months(dec) after my I94 expires(sep). So it may be true that NJ will not issue anything less than 6 months. But I can give the Road test after 3 months only. They did not accept my Karnataka smartcard License. They accepts indian license sometimes(eg hyderabad DL). If they accept your Indian DL then you do not need a road test. You can get the NJ DL as soon as you pass the knowledge test. The knowledge test is easy to pass if you learn some 200 sample questions in websites. I ordered some free magazine to my friend's address in NJ. And used that parcel as my address proof in NJ. They accepts original bank statements also, but no printouts. NJ did not check my International Driving permit. They told I can use that to Drive in NJ along with some one who has US DL. As I have international permit, they refused to give me a state id / photo id. PA also accepts any mail as the address proof if you vist the DMV office. PA needs a doctor certificate to make things difficult.
I heard =>Delaware and NY also can give DL with less than 6 months. NY is costly ( 77 -115$ ). NY does not need an address proof.

Last edited by a moderator: