• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Can i do AOS as an asylee?

Thank God I found this link.
I came into the US Aug 2005. Applied for my asylum August 2006 ( making sure it was less than a year after) I was referred to an Immigration Judge in Feb. 2007 and in March 2007, my asylum was granted.
Meanwhile, last year, I applied for the DV-2008 lottery and miraculously, on the 20th of March, I recieved the Asylum grant and the DV-NL. My number for the DV is 2008AF00004xxx.
Today, I went to the USCIS district office to apply for my work authorization, based on the asylee grant. When I was done, I spoke to the USCIS officer regarding my DV- notification. At first she said that I could not send in the forms till Oct of this year. Then she gets on the phone to speak with a supervisor and tells them she is speaking with someone who came in in 2001 and has been granted asylum! No! I said to her, 2005! not 2001. Anyway, she tells me Im not eligible for AOS, because I was out of Status for a period of time. I told her I was not out of status, beacuse asylum applicants are allowed 1 year to file. She says I should not waste my money trying to Adjust status because i will be denied!! Then she advised that I proceed with the Asylum and wait a few years to get the green card.
Please, am I eligible for the AOS?

Anyway, she tells me Im not eligible for AOS, because I was out of Status for a period of time. I told her I was not out of status, beacuse asylum applicants are allowed 1 year to file. She says I should not waste my money trying to Adjust status because i will be denied!! Then she advised that I proceed with the Asylum and wait a few years to get the green card.
Please, am I eligible for the AOS?

obviously, the woman wasn't listening....

If I-485 form doesn't list asylum as a specific reason why you can't adjust status, then you can if you are in legal status.