Can I apply for H1B extension 7th year myself ?

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
Imagine I get my EAD and I want to apply for H1B extension just to be on the safe side. Lawyer is charging $2,600 for H1B extension and that's too much.

Is there any way that I can work with HR department and apply for H1B extension myself ?

Dear Marlon
You can. In my work our office assistant used to apply H1Bs. And she
did more than 10 H1Bs by herself.
Specifically to do a 7th year extnsn you need a copy of labor certification
or the proof of labor applied and its older than 365 days with DOL.
I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if I want to apply for H1B extnsn. My
H1B will expire on OCT 2005. Now a days our office do all the immi with
Murthy. Recently our office said that they wont pay for immigration expenses.
With murthy to do H1B its all together $3300 incl INS fees. What to do?
babu.

Thanks. I think I will gather the letter from the employer, the necessary form (I think that's I-129), copy from my passport, copy from my current I-797+ I-94, and submit it and see what happens then.

sbabunle said:
Dear Marlon
You can. In my work our office assistant used to apply H1Bs. And she
did more than 10 H1Bs by herself.
Specifically to do a 7th year extnsn you need a copy of labor certification
or the proof of labor applied and its older than 365 days with DOL.
I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if I want to apply for H1B extnsn. My
H1B will expire on OCT 2005. Now a days our office do all the immi with
Murthy. Recently our office said that they wont pay for immigration expenses.
With murthy to do H1B its all together $3300 incl INS fees. What to do?
babu.

7th Year Extension for Spouse

marlon2006 said:
Imagine I get my EAD and I want to apply for H1B extension just to be on the safe side. Lawyer is charging $2,600 for H1B extension and that's too much.

Is there any way that I can work with HR department and apply for H1B extension myself ?

Hello Floks,

I am in the same situation, but slightly different context. My spouse has applied for EAD/AP/I140//I485 in Dec 2004 with Substu labor(Apr 2001). Now are we also got our EAD/AP approved this week.

But I want to extend my H1 for 7th year based on my spouses pending I140/I485 cases.

Am I eligible for 7th Yr extension?? Could you pls share any experiences around this?

regards
-ds2000

marlon2006,

There are some things in life when cost incurred is to be viewed as an investment and not as an expense. Now, I am no lawyer here....but would it not be a good idea to let a professional and reliable person handle the USCIS paperwork...I know you can file it yourself...but the question is...are you prepared for all consequences of say filing it incorrectly or missing a paper, a signature...anything at all?

ds2004,
Yes you can file a 7th year extension on a basis of a pending 485. I have done it for myslef and for my wife(H4).

maple_cartier,
I think certain things we can file on our own. Couple of years earlier I had taken the risk of filing an extension for my wife on my own and there was no problem. Only thing before sending over you need to make sure you are sending all the documents. In that case the INS form fees was 120$ and the lawyer was charging 300$ and I saved 180$ which the lawyer was charging for nothing.