Can I apply for financial Aid?

memevertical

Registered Users (C)
I remember reading in the Affidavit of support, that because I was sponsored by someone (My Wife and a Joint Sponsor) I could never apply for goverment aid. Does this include Financial Aid for Collage?

My mother in law came in to this country by a I-130 petition and there was a sponsor, and now she has foodstamps, medicaid and a lot of benefits.

I'm not exactly interested in those, but I do wanna get financial aid to finish my studies.

Anyone knows if I apply would my sponsors will be charged for this?

Thanks.

I remember reading in the Affidavit of support, that because I was sponsored by someone (My Wife and a Joint Sponsor) I could never apply for goverment aid.
That is not true. You may have to wait 1 or 5 or 10 years to qualify for certain types of aid, but there is no permanent ban. In other cases, you can qualify sooner, but your sponsor becomes potentially liable for reimbursing the state.
Does this include Financial Aid for Collage?
No. Obtaining your green card via any kind of sponsorship doesn't block your eligibility for college financial aid.
My mother in law came in to this country by a I-130 petition and there was a sponsor, and now she has foodstamps, medicaid and a lot of benefits.
Maybe she has been in the US for a sufficient number of years. Or if she hasn't, the sponsor is potentially responsible for reimbursing the state.
No, your immigration sponsors will not be responsible in any way for you collecting financial aid for college. But if you are under 24 and your parents have $$$, that may restrict your ability to qualify for aid (but this has nothing to do with immigration sponsorship; this also applies to born citizens).

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember reading in the Affidavit of support, that because I was sponsored by someone (My Wife and a Joint Sponsor) I could never apply for goverment aid. Does this include Financial Aid for Collage?

I'm not exactly interested in those, but I do wanna get financial aid to finish my studies.

Thanks.

Remember, your eligibility depends on other factors too, like how long you've been in sch. In my sch, beyond 16 semesters for undergrad and 10 for grad, you cannot get financial aid.