Can I apply for AP ?

piyalove

Registered Users (C)
Hi Fellow Kin,
Regards,

As you will notice from my timeline below, my case is still pending.

None of my applications has been approved, eg. I-130, I-485 etc. I want to travel to see my very sick mother (father deceased in 1998) in India and enroute visit my previous country of residence (as I have my properties there etc.), just for one month or less and return quickly as my wife is due in mid or late February 2006.

FYI: B1/B2 visa, March 2005, six months stay. Got married in April. Applied for AOS in July. I was never out of status.

Can I apply for AP? How long does it take to get it? Can I apply by doing walk-in at DORA office? Will I face any problem at the airport on return to US with AP? Any other info you can share that will assist me in this situation.

I can get the doctor's letter for my mother's illness by courier in a couple of days. My main question here will be does the doctor's letter need to be notarized or just a simple letter on his letterhead will do?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Sincerely
Piyalove

Last edited by a moderator:
my 2 cents

My father is ill but he was released from the hospital, so the officer said they couldn't give me an emergency AP unless my father is still in the hospital ( need proof from the hospital) or there is a death. If you can get the proof from the hospital, you will also need to show the relationship between you and your mother (i.e. birth certificate will do if it has your mother's name on it).

I also have a question for your, your timeline says FP@1800, what does that mean?

zhm said:
My father is ill but he was released from the hospital, so the officer said they couldn't give me an emergency AP unless my father is still in the hospital ( need proof from the hospital) or there is a death. If you can get the proof from the hospital, you will also need to show the relationship between you and your mother (i.e. birth certificate will do if it has your mother's name on it).

I also have a question for your, your timeline says FP@1800, what does that mean?

Hi zhm,
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
I called the 1800 number to make an appointment for FP the date I got was that. Anyway, I did not wait and went for a walk-in and it was done in 15 mins or less. You can read my FP experience with ASC: here:

With best wishes for the season,
Piyalove

piyalove said:
Hi Fellow Kin,
Regards,

As you will notice from my timeline below, my case is still pending.

None of my applications has been approved, eg. I-130, I-485 etc. I want travel to see my sick mother in India and also visit my previous country of residence (as I have my properties there etc.), just for one month and return quickly as my wife is due in February 2006.

Can I apply for AP?
... Yes
How long does it take to get it?
... It used to get 3-4 months. Check USCIS website for current timing.
Can I apply by doing walk-in at DORA office?
... That depends. If you have any sort of emergency.
Will I face any problem at the airport on return to US with AP? Any other info you can share that will assist me in this situation.
...Not just because you are entering with AP. Make sure you carry I-485 receipt.

I appreciate your kind attention.

Thank you,
Sincerely
Piyalove

Can I apply for AP? How long does it take to get it? Can I apply by doing walk-in at DORA office? Will I face any problem at the airport on return to US with AP? Any other info you can share that will assist me in this situation.

Read the instruction for Travel document...don't aplly for AP if you were out of status even for one day. If you were not, you can travel with AP. Usually takes between 30-90 days to be approved.

Hope this help.

Piya...

Make an infopass appointment to n. Stemmons and try to convice the officer to give you the AP right away. As you know ive received the 70th day letter inviting me to apply for those documents. I saw in the building that some people were able to convince the officer to grant them with AP even though they didnt have the 70 th letter.

Just gather all the ¨proves¨ to justify the emergency and try to convince the officer.

Talk with you later...

k1_visa said:
Piya...

.... Just gather all the ¨proves¨ to justify the emergency and try to convince the officer.

Talk with you later...

Hi k1_visa,
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it,

one question: I can get the doctor's letter for my mother's illness by courier in a couple of days. My main question here will be does the doctor's letter need to be notarized or just a simple letter on his letterhead will do?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Sincerely
Piyalove

piyalove said:
My main question here will be does the doctor's letter need to be notarized or just a simple letter on his letterhead will do?

I did not have to notarize the doctors note that I had. Make sure you have a birth certificate proving the relationship.

sheracar said:
I did not have to notarize the doctors note that I had. Make sure you have a birth certificate proving the relationship.

Hi Sheracar,
Regards,
Thank you for your input, I appreciate it,

Was your doctor's letter from a private clinic or doctor or it has to be from a hospital? Please advise.

Yes, my mother's name appears on my birth certificates.

Thanks,
Piyalove

sheracar said:
Doctor's letterhead.

Hi sheracar,
Thank you for your support & input.
Regards,

I would like to add a couple more issues which came up in the above situation.

My US Visa (non-immigrant) expires in 2011, it was stamped in my old passport. In early December 2005 was issued a new passport by the Consulate General of India (CGI), Houston. The old passport cover, the top corner has been clipped by the CGI, which cancels the passport, but the US Visa is still valid.

My question is: Is this visa still valid for AP travelling? because the new passport is blank has no US visa. However, I can get this new passport attached to the old one by CGI or do it myself. Can I use this Visa to re-enter US or I have to get it (the US visa) transferred to the new passport?

Can any one please share your suggestion/experience or opinion on the above situation?

I appreciate your kind attention.

Thanks in advance,
Sincerely
Piyalove

Last edited by a moderator:
Take both passports with you if they are clip or attached already to each other the better. You don't transfer your visa to other document. Anyway what you are using for traveling is your AP, your visa as non-immigrant (I think you came as B1/B2?) is not useful anymore.
Good luck,

cherr1980 said:
Take both passports with you if they are clip or attached already to each other the better. You don't transfer your visa to other document. Anyway what you are using for traveling is your AP, your visa as non-immigrant (I think you came as B1/B2?) is not useful anymore.
Good luck,

Hi cherr1980,
Thank you for your kind inspiration, I am grateful.
Sincerely
Piyalove