Can a cnd ctzen stay 6mnths in usa,leave & reenter again to start new 6mnths?

oday

Registered Users (C)
Is this scenario allowed? My wife is a canadian citizen and i am a green card holder living in california. She will stay in the usa for 6 months , go back to canada for 2 weeks to a month, and come back and stay in the usa again for another six months?
I believe she is allowed to stay in the usa for 6 months only. What i am not clear about is, is it 6 months per year? Or can she leave the usa before 6 months and reenter right away (like after a month)to start another 6 months?
This is the only way for now we can be united.
Thanks a lot in advance
evb

Going to Canada for two weeks after six months in US is more like she is visiting Canada where it should be other way around. Even though it's in the grey area but is legal until she gets a officer in a bad mood. BTW do you know that nowadays spouses of green card holders don't have to wait long and it's only taking One year and four months.
See Category F2A which is the category she will be in if you sponsor her now in August visa bulletin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to Canada for two weeks after six months in US is more like she is visiting Canada where it should be other way around. Even though it's in the grey area but is legal until she gets a officer in a bad mood. BTW do you know that nowadays spouses of green card holders don't have to wait long and it's only taking One year and four months.
See Category F2A which is the category she will be in if you sponsor her now in August visa bulletin.

THank you for the information. I actually sponsored her last year. I just didnt realized that the priority date is moving fast! normally it takes at least 5 yrs before a spouse can get green card.
Although, I am not keeping my hopes up. The dates could retrogress and moved back a couple of years