Can a Asylum based LPR apply for Reentry Permit instead of the Refugee Travle Document

alum123456

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My passport has expired but I want to travel abroad.
From I-131 instructions it seems to me that Asulum based LPR must apply for Refugee Travel Doc. I really want to apply for reentry permit for several reasons. One of them is that Reentry permits are usually valid for two years. Does anybody know if I can get the reentry permit, but not a RTD? Please advise.

thanks

Hi

My passport has expired but I want to travel abroad.
From I-131 instructions it seems to me that Asulum based LPR must apply for Refugee Travel Doc. I really want to apply for reentry permit for several reasons. One of them is that Reentry permits are usually valid for two years. Does anybody know if I can get the reentry permit, but not a RTD? Please advise.

thanks

As an LPR who got his green card based on asylum, you can get either a RP or a RTD.

Thanks!
And I can use RP as a travel document to travel abroad, right? My passport expired :(...

Yes you may. That is a major purpose of RPs--to serve as a passport for people who do not have a passport.

Just make sure that the countries you are going to will accept the RP. Some places do not accept them.

Hey THANKFUL, can one use their NP+GC if it is still valid? Or renew the NP if the consulate of the COP allow it? What do you think, do you think it will be a problem on the citizenship interview?

Hey THANKFUL, can one use their NP+GC if it is still valid? Or renew the NP if the consulate of the COP allow it? What do you think, do you think it will be a problem on the citizenship interview?

As a general rule I do not recommend using NP.

All the best to you.

Alright, thank you! I have used my NP + GC before, it is about to expire now.(i have newed NP before applying to asylum ) , i am not sure if am going to renew it, my lawier said i can renew it, but i dont think i will do it... I guess the only country i'll be visiting until i became a USA citizen will be Canada (drinving), because planning a trip overseas depending on RTD is a hassle! Anyway, its no time for me to be thinking about overseas trip! :cool:

I'm an asylee-turned-permanent resident, and I travel on an RP. So far, no problems, except for the confused IOs. The guy in Zuerich and Duesseldorf were both quote awed, hehe.