california service center I-130 delay

znaiman

Hi,

I'm looking for any information as to why it seems that the california ins is at a standstill in processing I-130 forms. I am a US citizen, and I submitted an I-130 for my Colombian wife on October 15. I received a notice of receipt shortly after, which contains the same information available online -- that processing will take between 990 and 990 days. Furthermore, the date of the I-130s currently being processed has been Feb 5, 2003 since I filed the form in October. I can't find information anywhere regarding the standstill.

Thanks for any information!
Zachary Naiman

I applied at the San Jose office in California

July 31/03 submitted application

Received confirmation and A # about 3 weeks after filing.

Received letter for EAD and fingerprinting.

August 28/03 went to office and received EAD (took about 10 minutes)

August 29/03 fingerprints

September 18/03 received Social Security #

November received letter for AOS interview.

December 17/03 had interview and passport stamped, now waiting for actual green card to be mailed.

Even though it says Feb, my papers were filed at the end of July and by December 17 I was through the process and approved for Permanent residency.
It took less than 5 months from the time we filed to the final approval.

Hi Laicey,

Thank you very much for your response -- it gives me a little hope that we won't be waiting on this for years! A couple of follow up questions...did you submit the I-130 for yourself or for your spouse? Have you both been in the US since you submitted the form? Did your A# come with your notice of receipt?

My wife has never been in the US, so I filed for her and then moved down to Colombia to wait. I received the notice of receipt within a week of sending the form, but haven't received anything since. My notice of receipt has a reciept number (starting in WAC followed by 10 numbers), but no A#. (I understand that the A# is either 8 or 9 digits).

Thanks again for your response!
Zach

My husband sponsored me, he is also an US citizen. I was already in the US and we were married here, which I believe can make a difference in the timing. Although, quite a few others that were waiting for their interviews at the same time as I was said their time line was not as long as what is posted. There were quite a few that had all filed their papers in July. Plus there were 3 couples there that seem to have gone the same route you have, one couple had filed in May and the wife (US citizen) had waited 4 months before both her and her husband came to the US.

All I ever got was the A #, which was the same one I got on the receipt (kind of like a little cashier receipt you get from a store when you purchase something). I couldn't check my status online with this number, it was only 9 digits and to be able to check online you need a WAC number.

I am far from an expert on how immigration works, but it seemed to me, from talking to others waiting for their interviews that there was no set rule for the length of time, or what the inspecting officer would ask from each. My interview was relatively easy and pain free, very few questions. I had taken copies of all my original documents, including copies of utility bills, copies of both our birth certificates and marriage certificate, anything that had both our names or either of our names that had the same address. Also took letters from his family members and friends that know both us. Insurance and bank papers. Seemed like they were most interested in our income. I had to submit a letter from the place I work, and my husband had to show papers proving he was self employed. I made copies of just about everything that showed we were living in the same location and married, including envelopes addressed to us both.
I went overboard on what I copied but it was all worth the extra time just to make sure we had every possible thing they may ask for.

Also, we had been married for over two years when we submitted our application for AOS, which seemed to make things easier, I got my passport stamped and have no restrictions put on my greencard.

It does seem to take longer for anyone not married in the US, but again, immigration doesn't seem to have any set direction in their time lines.