Calculating dates on N400 application

fams

Registered Users (C)
Since I have only entry stamps in India and not exit stamps from the US, I have put in the "Date you left US" as one day before the entry stamp in India. I dont have any other record. Am I safe in doing so?

Yes, that's fine if you actually did leave the US a day earlier than the entry stamp on your India passport.

I dont have a record -what do I do ?

You don't have a record of the India entry stamp in your India passport?
You're not expected to show exit records at the interview. Don't over complicate things..just subtract 1 day from the India entry stamp in your passport to determine when you left US.

That is normal to do it that way. Roughly figuring out the travel time plus the time difference will give us an idea when we exited USA port

@BOBSMYTH: I do have entry records-thats how I managed to put in exit dates -as 1 day prior to that.
Thankyou Spiderman and Bobsmyth, acr and Phillydude

Since I have only entry stamps in India and not exit stamps from the US, I have put in the "Date you left US" as one day before the entry stamp in India. I dont have any other record. Am I safe in doing so?

It need not be one day. Some times it may be two days.
If you reach India before 12am, it would be one day (difference).
If you reach after 12am, it would be two days.

Ok guys...

Guys,

Let us not be technical about this simple issue. Flying from NY to Tokyo shouldn't be complicated. The OP should just put in a day later than the day his or her passport was stamped with entry stamp in India.

If you are flying from NY to Narita, JP on 9/1/09 at 11:59pm, what date are you going to put them on your application? The plane took off at 12:15am, but didn't leave the US airsapce till 4 hours later? You arrived in Japan at 1:05am on 9/3/09.

Point here is, if one can find out the date he left US, then why not show that date? Here OP knows when he landed in India, so he can find out the date he left US and add it to the "Date Left US" column. There are no complications..

If one doesn't remember the exact date and no other way to find out then guessing may help but here - there is a way to know the date he left the US and it is simple.

cpzinga- The point here is : How do I find out my exact date of departure since I dont have the tickets etc -my only clue is the ENTRY STAMP IN INDIA . What Al Southner says is close to what I'm thinking

cpzinga- The point here is : How do I find out my exact date of departure since I dont have the tickets etc -my only clue is the ENTRY STAMP IN INDIA . What Al Southner says is close to what I'm thinking

fams, Can't you find out the departure date using the ENTRY STAMP in India?
That's how everybody find out their departure date in US.
Unless you have any long stays on the way to India (in europe or other countries), it is straight forward calculation.

fams, give me your ENTRY STAMP date in INDIA and give me the air line name (if you remember). Also let me know the city in which you landed. I can tell you your departure date.

City : Chennai

06/13/2005 Emirates
06/14/2006 Qatar
06/24/2007 Lufthansa
12/09/2007 Emirates
07/04/2008 Emirates
07/28/2008 Emirates
02/23/2009 Emirates

nothing to worry with dates

the idea of asking dates is to calculate total number of days spent outside US
so padding extra days doesn't cost you much at all