C-11 2/5 yrs rule - Is it law?

Sunny Jay

Registered Users (C)
I recently obtained my Canadian PR. Initially, I was planning on applying for a returning resident permit so that I can go to Canada in one year time. However with C-11 being passed, do I still have to apply for RIR or will I satisfy the residency requirements if I return in an year. Please provide your comments. Thx.

regulations awaited

while the law has been passed, the regulations will be public by early next year. so in your case, you need to be sure that whom this law is applicable. (the PRs after the law is enacted or to them too who got PR before that)

I got PR last Sep. Now live in US without RP

I got Permanent Residency (PR) in September, 2001. Left Canada immediately and now live in the US. Do I need a Returners Permit (RP)?

Now, You mentioned there is a new law that extends the time I can stay away. While waiting for the law to become public, do you encourage to apply for RP?

If I do apply for RP before the 6 months are over, do I become obliged to follow the old law that I now applied RP?

P.S. If one uses the RP now, then she is no longer entitled to the
     new law. This is because the RP gives discloses to you the old
     law when you sign it.
     This is ONLY what I think. Please comment!

I am asking the RP question in light of the new law

Would you please answer the question above?.

It can be rephrased as follows:

I got Permanent Residency (PR) in September, 2001. Left Canada immediately and now live in the US. While considering this new law, do I need to submit a Returners Permit (RP) before the 6 months abroad are over?

yes you will need RRP but dont apply for one.

it will only document the fact that you stayed out of Canada for
so long.
the next time you enter canada, if asked mention that you are coming
back after whatertime you have been out, but do not volenteer info.

youshould be fine. I have been in and out of canada about 6 times
since I got my PR ( which was less than 6 months ago BTW ) and I
wasnever ever asked, in fact a majority of the times my passport
landingpapers were not even checked !

Thanks very much

Hello tt tt,

Indeed, filling RRP can put one in danger. But there is protection in the NEW LAW if one is absent more than 6 months.

This is because it allows you to stay outside CA more than 6 months without doing anything special at all. With the old law, you have to fill out RRP and may be interrogated for being absent more than 6 months!!.

I hope the new law will be described with better guidelines so we can all use it ASAP.

Thanks

Is this really the new law?

Is it really true that the NEW law allows last year absent landed immigrants to stay away years without doing anything special?
Thanks

Wait for the final regulations to be published

nobody can tell you what will be in the new regulations and when they will be effective as of now the current Law is that after landing in Canada you should not stay out of Canada more than 183 days if you want to maintain your PR, you should have your canada SIN, Canada Tax should be paid and Driving licence of canada any family member staying in Canada, any utility bill in canada, Canada credit card ,library card these are the things you can try to convince the immigration officer that your Intention is/was to establish your ties in Canada. This time rule out of Canada is 183 days only .Regarding Last year Absent you are no more PR according to current lawif you stayed away more than 183 days,Wait for the regulations to be published if they have anything for you.

Thanks, but I haven\'t exceeded the 183 days

Does this mean I have plenty of time to wait for the new law\'s regulation? I have until Feb 2002.

Is it wiser to o back now or do I have time to do my business in the US first?

No Title

If you have not exceeded 183 days you should enter Canada before 183 days or before that, it is wiser to go back now and have proof of your stay in canada , regulations are expected to be published shortly and then the have to be kept fot 60-75 days for comments and canada immigration department hops them to be effective in some time before june 2002. no moreinformation is availabe do what ever is in your best intrest.

about canadian pr and living in us

my sis received her vanadian pr in aug 2000. she has been a candiapr since then but living in usa.
what do u think when she enters canada..what will the immigration ask? but se has maintained address in canada with utility bills.is it better to go to india and then go to canada or to go directly rom usa

No Title

I do not know when she Left Canada or came to US, If she left immidiatly after august 2000 it means she stayed more than 183 gays out of Canada and she has no more Valid PR, has she paid Canada tax in 2001? she can take a chance to enter through Grayhound bus by border or By Amtrack train from NewYork to Toronto in train they ask very less questions. Immigration officers asks how many days you have been out of Canada and where, if her lie is detected she will be in deep problems.

Yes, never ever lie to an immigration official

I landed in May and have been working for a canadaian employer
in the US , so I have visited canada for about 6 times since
then, by car/bus/plane/even crossed over by foot at niagara falls.
Each time the officers barely questioned me for abput 10 secs,
couple of times by bus they did not even check the passport..
so just tell them you are coming back after so-and-so-many days,

you will be fine

Is It easy to find a Canadian employer in the US?

I would like to work in the US and maintain my Canadian PR. So thr answer to this question is extremely important for me.

How do I go about looking for Canadian employer in the US?

Thanks in Advance.