Buying a house in New Jersey??

GC- SaaGaa

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys..

8 months back, we moved from beautiful CA to NJ for work.

We have a house in CA but looks like we will be in east coast for a while. We are thinking of buying a house in northern NJ and selling the one in CA by 2003 summer.

Any ideas on some good locations around in north NJ with reasonable price range?

Thanks & Regards.

House in NJ

Look either in Princeton or Montegomery . Its beatiful place to live with good school district. Just my thoughts!!

Princeton is in north-central NJ

And houses here aint of reasonable price. Be prepared to shell out $ 350,000 and more. Happy house hunting

Just a personal opinion...

hey no offense, but NJ is the most dull state I have seen so far. I would prefer to go back to INDIA then to settle down in NJ.

The only thing I like in NJ is NJTP.

Hey man !
What would you do in CA that you cannot do in NJ ?
If you are in the right crowd this could be the place .
Trust me . I have lived in CA before and now live in CT,
but do go to NJ very often

- sai

No offense to NJ..

Well..first of all, thanks for letting me know about some good areas. However, I thought princeton is south NJ. Is it north/central? Probably its a county different than Princeton university, which I was thinking about.

I have been to different places in US, ranging from Kansas, Dallas, Atlanta, LA, Orange County(south of LA) & now NJ..Each has its pros and cons but CA (Orange County) is so far the most beautiful - the roads, skyways, new houses, beautiful apartment comlpexes, nice beaches at very close proximity etc..

NJ is good because its close to NY. Has a lot of desi hangout places, good job market (b'coz of NY) and also we have a lot of old college/school friends from India around in the east coast. Having friends here makes it really better than most of the other places and probably close to CA.

However, I get frustrated to find the price range of a stupid 2 bedroom, 50 yrs old house in NJ to be same as the beautiful new house (with best floorplans) in CA. I am not sure if these houses are worth so much money just because they happen to be next to NY.

Any comments are most welcome..
Regards.

Compare Apples to Apples
When Comparing 'stupid' apartments of NJ near RailStations, compare them with in Bay area of San. They will be more 'stupid'.

another suggestion

Looking for a house in NJ and probably someplace else is a job in itself. I have seen/known people looking for house for more than a year and still not able to find one or decide upon one.

We live in Asbury in Warren county. If you are looking for nice and beautiful place, this is one county to consider. However, you should be ready to give up urban/suburban life and the habit of getting up late and still reaching office on time. This must be as far from NYC as Princeton, but slightly cheaper. I am not sure about the school district and I have heard good things about it. We move in November this year, so I don't have much more to say. The neighbourhood is nice, you can go to shopping and malls in 20 min or less. Here you could find new or upcoming development. In our community, only the model house is left to be sold.

On a personal note, liking for a place varies so much from person to person. I have lived in North-East coast most of the time and like it very much here. I had the opportunity to live in CA for a while and I liked San Diego more than Orange County. San Fransisco was OK but not as great as my friend was bragging about.

It really depends..

You are right, the liking of place varies from person to person and sandiego is better than orange county.

Not that we don't like NJ. In fact we have started liking it a lot more (even with the snow storm) than our first few weeks here when we thought of going back almost everyday. However, I always like looking around and seeing indian faces (makes me feel at home). Also if you have friends, it makes the process of transition easier.
Those are some of the main reasons, we are willing to buy a house here and give it a shot (besides the fact that things are looking bright at work).

If anyone has been to different places in US, no one can deny the fact the NJ is probably the most dirty and least maintained state (I am not sure who called it "Garden State").

Hope I am comparing apples with apples.

Regards.

NJ is Garden State with no gardener!

The reason why Indians tend to flock to NJ is that it reminds them of India more than any other state in this country. You'll find lots of Indian stores/groceries and ethnic restaurants. No need to get out of your car to get gas. Most gas stations are owned/run by Indians. So is Dunkin Donuts! The state is dirty in most parts. Houses are expensive, their run-down condition notwithstanding.
If you want worldly pleasures stay in CA. If you want third-worldly pleasures, welcome to NJ.

The only place that I think is nice in NJ is Madison (I liked it more than Princeton) in North Jersey. Been there guys? I am sure you'll agree.

trivolta - How much is housing cost in your area?

How much a 4 bedroom single family house cost in your complex?
Thanks..

well

It all depends on every persons liking.

I have lived in NJ for the past 5 years. Had been looking to buy a house/townhouse for almost two years now, Finally succeeded two months ago. I had always wanted to settle in Northern NJ rather than south or central NJ. But like someone suggested that you are looking at paying around 350, 000 for a decent 3 bedroom house in Northern NJ. Bergen county is great , has great schools , good shopping malls, good medical facilities etc. Also commute wise its great.

Please clarify the following for me.

I Have seen many people who are now waiting for GC but own houses. How can we decide if we should go ahead and buy a house or not ?

I am really looking forward to buy a house/townhouse. However, with the uncertainity of this GC process, I am unable to go ahead.

Let us say:
Someone bought a house in Clifton, NJ. He is still on H1 and is in the final stage of GC. If his employer places him in Delaware, then what ? To keep up his job, he has to go right ?

Can anyone throw some light on how we have to decide on it ? I am unable to dare to go for it. My GC case is pretty straight forward without any complications. However, with the current trend of Immigration Policies, it only adds further hesitation to an already hesitant mentality. Please enlighten (me).

(Excuse any errors in text).

There are very good places in Bergen County(North NJ). Paramus is a very good town. It also has good schools. Ridgewood, Dumont, Closetr, Ridgefield are few other good towns with excellent school system.

I am in orange county California but have stayed and wokred in NJ for long time. Even though this place is beautiful ,nice roads and all other things , one of the best in US but i will still like to live in NJ in bergen county. The best part is you spend much less on housing in NJ then Orange county . for 3 bedroom 1500sq in orange county is well over 380000 to 500000 depending upon which city u buy . But for same pricee u can buy a very good house in bergen county NJ. Second there r more job options in NY/NJ/PA then orange county. Being a independent contractor thats what i feel staying in orange county that i do't hv many options here. So i still feel NJ is better place to live and earn . The only place of california which competes with job market of NY/NJ is bay area but living wise that place is too crowded and expensive and not worth sepnding that much money unless u are starting a startup.

ghost-rider,

I agree with you but talking abt bay-area don't u think it is a place where things happen and u can easily be part of it.

Like there are so many startups(even though they are not hiring now) that it is easy to get a break and maybe make a couple of million by slogging off for 2-3 yrs.

No more independent contracting etc.

Also abt independent contracting, do u have a GC or how r u managing. I am planning on getting into independent contracting. Can u pls suggest some areas of expertise based on the current job market.

moving to NY

Hi all,
I am havign to move from beautiful CA to New York for job. work location is NY city, NY.
Can any one tell me which will be good/decent places to live in and travel to downtown NY.
Heard NJ is a good place. but which cities in NJ.. with decent commute to NY and with easy access to train/bus etc.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
aln

NJ..

Hi..Welcome to NJ..

We also moved from CA to NJ in March of this year. It takes some time to get used to the extreme weather, the confusing road systems, tolls and high rises here..so be prepared.

Also, be ready for some disappointment during apartment hunting. There is not much of customer service around here. The people/managers in the renting offices don't really care if you take or not take the apartments and hence tend to be rude.

If you want to live close to NY but not in expensive NY apartments, northern NJ is place to be. Some of the apartment complexes are decent with decent rent tags, others are too expensive or in a bad neighbourhood. Commute to NY is about 30 minutes.

If you don't care about commute and close proximity to NY, suoth NJ is the way to go. Edison has a lot of desi crowd, desi streets and better apartments. A lot of desi's commute from there, which probably takes about an hour or more - one way..

Hope the above helps..
Regards.