business prospects while under green card processing

tdmine

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on H1B visa with green card under processing stage.

Recently i received an offer from one of my friend who is an american citizen to invest/pick up 50% stake in his small business company (registered under Inc). After verifying all the details and cosideration, i found the offer very lucrative with great potential for profits and employment for people.

Is it legally ok for me to invest money in business/ venture capital.
what are the possible consequences or effect on my green card processing?

I am currently on H1B visa with green card under processing stage.

Recently i received an offer from one of my friend who is an american citizen to invest/pick up 50% stake in his small business company (registered under Inc). After verifying all the details and cosideration, i found the offer very lucrative with great potential for profits and employment for people.

Is it legally ok for me to invest money in business/ venture capital.
what are the possible consequences or effect on my green card processing?

As some one else said, you could make investments anytime, regardless of your visa status.
Based on your visa, limitations apply on whom/where you can work.

If you have not applied for EAD yet, I would recommend that you do so now if you are eligible to apply; and then be involved in the business actively without fear of potential legal issues.
Definitely talk to an attorney and CPA before taking the offer.

If you become part owner of a profitable business that employs others, you could get a GC in the investor category much quicker that your current EB based AOS that is in process.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: