Buffalo Tracker (please add)

NY Consulate

Good luck to you!!!

dhm2002 said:
hi

do you mind telling us which consulate yr application was sent to? mine got transferred to LA in march, AOR may 2005. just trying to figure out the timelines at local consulates.

thanks
dhm2002

Recd AOR

Recd AOR, in 20 days or so.

Hopefully there is NO regrogession for the residency of this country.

Last edited by a moderator:
H1B visa from old employer

Hi,

I am planning to go to Canada next month as my PR is approved.

Currently, I am in US on H1B and my spouse is on H4. I changed job couple of months back. I have H1B visa from old employer on my passport and I797 from my currrent employer.

1) Can I come back to US after formalities are completed at the airport ? OR I need to apply for something else in Canada ?
2) Do I need fresh H1 visa stamping, in order to come back to US
3) Can I go to any US consulate in Canada for stamping ?

Please advice.

Regards,

Mezz

Timelines to get the PP request

Does anyone have an idea about how long it takes after submission of all docs, FPs etc. and the Consulate encashes the ROPR Fees to get the PP request?

CIC Update

CIC website updated today saying Medicals received.

labor2002 said:
Applied Jan 05
AOR Mar 05
Case transferred from Buffalo to local Area Consulate - Jan 06
Interview/IELTS Waived and FBI FP/Bank Statement/ROPR Fees/Medical Request - Feb 06
Requested Docs Sent May 06
Medicals Sent - May 06
Fees Sent - June 06
ROPR Fees Cashed by Consulate - July 06

need advice

Hi!
I am coming back after a short break....we applied in sept 04, got AOR in Jan 05,they asked for the IELTS in oct 05,took test in dec 05....in jan 06 got a letter from the consulate along with the medical forms that an interview is required in buffalo (we live in california) :) .They also said that dont get the medical done unless you get the interview date and also that we will not respond to your request of status before your interview date.But to save time we took the medical in march 06,and now we have asked our consulate for the police clearence from our country.
1) Does anyone has an idea what is going to happen next?
2) Shall we go for the FBI clearence?
3) Why Interview in Buffalo as we live in California?

Just to tell you that we have applied through a law firm based in Quebec.
Please help me with any advice.
Thanks in advance

Can you tell me about a good lawyer to help in applying?

I would appreciate if you can tell me contacts of lawyer to help with applying for PR .We are also thinking we could do ourself the form part but not very sure about list of documents to send along with it.

shaja said:
I would appreciate if you can tell me contacts of lawyer to help with applying for PR .We are also thinking we could do ourself the form part but not very sure about list of documents to send along with it.

Hi, Our law firm is Campbell Cohen based in Quebec Canada.The website is canadavisa.com.They can help you in each and everything. If dont mind where are you from and where do you live in America?

Pls help.........

Hi,

I would like to inquire about sponsoring my husband.

I am a Canadian Citizen, now I live in USA with my husband. We got married in Toronto. My husband works as Civil Engineer in a firm. He is in H1-B Visa category.

1. Am I eligible to sponsor my husband for in-land sponsorship?

2. If I sponsor him, would his USA visa be in cancelled?

3. Can he have green card and PR in the same time?

4. Suppose if he get his PR, can he work in USA?

I would really appreciate if you can help me with these questions.

Thank you.

1. Am I eligible to sponsor my husband for in-land sponsorship?

If you mean sponsering him for Canadian PR then Yes

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

2. If I sponsor him, would his USA visa be in cancelled?

No you can apply for Canadian PR and have a H1b visa

3. Can he have green card and PR in the same time?

Yes, but not indefinitely. One cannot be a permanent resident in two
countries at the same time, so sooner or later you'd have to choose one of
the countries in question. Having a US Green Card, applying to the DV
lotteries etc. does not effect your eligibility and ultimate acquistion of
Canadian PR.

4. Suppose if he get his PR, can he work in USA?

Yes he can, in order to maintain Canadian PR you have to stay inside Canada for 2 yrs in 5 yr window but since he is with a Canadian citizen that does not count.

You can find details here

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You are eligible to sponsor your husband , but only if you live in canada or
show substantial ties to Canada like a mortgage ,Job ,Job offer etc.

Thanks.
Fizal

"4. Suppose if he get his PR, can he work in USA?

Yes he can, in order to maintain Canadian PR you have to stay inside Canada for 2 yrs in 5 yr window but since he is with a Canadian citizen that does not count "

But for that to work the canadian citizen must be working in the USA and not be the dependent of the Permanent Resident. I am no lawyer , but that is my reading of that law.

Thanks.
Fizal

fizalk

I dont agree with this statement that you have to live in Canada to sponser another person. If you look at the family sponsership guide it states this

"you reside in Canada;
Canadian citizens not residing in Canada may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner,conjugal partner and/or dependent children who have no dependent children of their own.Canadians travelling abroad as tourists are not considered to be residing outside Canada.Sponsors not residing in Canada must provide evidence that they reside exclusively outside Canada on the date of giving the undertaking and will reside in Canada at the time
their sponsored spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner and/or children become permanent residents of Canada. Evidence that they will reside in Canada may include one or more of the following:
· letter from an employer;
· letter of acceptance to a Canadian educational institution;
· proof of having rented/bought a dwelling in Canada;
· reasonable plans for re-establishing in Canada or severing ties to the other country.."

srini

Also I see no mention of having to working in USA to satisy PR residency obligations, there is no clause mentioned here. I think its best to call the PR call center and verfy this since I dont see any caevats that the spouse needs to work in the US.

You must accumulate two years of physical presence in Canada in every five-year period. You can also count Canadian residency days if you are outside Canada for an extended period of time for one of the following reasons:

You are accompanying your Canadian-citizen spouse or common-law partner.

Srini,
Your quote itself clarifies it.You have to show either that you live in canada or you would come back to canada when the PR comes through. And this proof has to be shown when applying. The proof has to be a Job offer , Mortgage etc.My B-I-L ran into the same problem.He is a canadian citizen who lives in the US and he wanted to sponsor his wife.When I called the CIC they told me that he either has to live in canada or he has to show he would come back to canada.
For the second question the law states that the "Permanent Resident has to accompany the Canadian Citizen to be exempt from the Residency rules". These exemptions are there to prevent hardships for people .The spirit of this law is not to punish a permanent resident who has to accompany his/her canadian citizen spouse who has to travel as part of his/her duties.
A canadian citizen going as a dependent of a permanent resident does not fit this.

fizalk
Yes I agree with you on the first point that as long as you show ties then you can sponser outside Canada. Regarding the second point technically Yes you can accompany and have them benefit regarding the PR residency requirements however it is a very touch area and might also be denied.

hi,
I hope this is the right forum. if not, I will appreciate an answer to my question.
if I apply for canadian PR (say in this week), then when can I expect to get approved. (i.e to enter canada as a PR).
I am in USA on H1B and I am tired of waiting for GC/yearly extensions ..Thanks !!