Buffalo NY N-400 Timeline

mishk99

My experience was very pleasant at Buffalo Field Office. Fingerprint and Interview were both at same center 2 months apart. Friendly people, paid parking behind building, not crowded.

I arrived about 40 mins before my scheduled time. Went right through security and up to 2nd floor. Checked in with friendly reception (he did a fingerprint and photo here which I didn't know about earlier). Was told to wait and only 1 person ahead of me. Was called for interview within 20 mins. My interview actually started 5 mins before scheduled time. Interviewer was very friendly. Asked me to swear and then sit down. Then asked for PR card, DL and Passport. He had my big "file" and he scanned through it. I joked with him that I had LOTS of applications (2 student visas, H1B, then GC now citizenship).

Then he said he would do the civics questions and go over my application. Asked me to read a line and write a line, then 6 civics questions were:

who wrote the declaration of independence
name 1 state that borders mexico
name 3 of the 13 original states
who is the commander in chief
what is the party of the current president
what are the 2 major political parties in the US

After that he went through application verifying everything I had put in. He asked about name change and I told him although I didn't put it in the application, I had decided to change my name now. So I told him the new name and he wrote it down. Proceeded to ask me about my work, where I live, where I had traveled. Just casual conversation - nothing about dates or specifics. Did not ask me for any documents. I only had most recent passport with me, not old passports but he didn't even ask about them. Then he went through my big "file" looking for Birth Certificate, which he did find. I had a copy with me and I offered it but he didn't want it. Finally went through the YES/NO questions of the application and said he would recommend me for approval. Then printed out forms to confirm name change, and made me sign those and the application under Oath of Allegiance. Finally said congratulations and told me to wait outside to schedule for Oath ceremony.

By this time the office was busier when I went out to waiting area. The receptionist took few minutes to help others out and gave me a choice of 2 times for the ceremony, I chose the one convenient for me.

So...........finally after 14+ years...almost there! :)

11/16/13: N400 sent Lewisville, TX
11/20/13: N-400 PD
11/21/13: check cashed
12/03/13: FP notice recvd
12/17/13: FP completed
01/14/14: Scheduled for interview
02/20/14: Interview date -- Approved!
04/10/14: Oath scheduled in Rochester, NY

Well done and glad you had a good experience!! Most people probably have great experiences (like mine and yours), but we don't hear about them here so thanks for posting.