Bringing out-of-state Drivers License to interview?

jzlthssw

Registered Users (C)
I have a question about Drivers Licenses.
I only plan to live in Maryland for a year so never exchanged my out-of-state license to maryland's. Is that going to be a problem if during the interview they ask for my DL? I gather the purpose of them asking for it is proof of residency? I can bring my apartment lease and utility bills to show that...
Has anyone shown INS an out-of-state drivers license and had problems?

Thanks and God bless us.

LUNAmoped said:
Dear JZLTHSSW,

I highly recommend that even if you plan to stay in MD for one year, get your MD DL. I believe it is more important to become US citizen smoothly, than to stick with your out of state license. Who would you blame if your N-400 is denied for lying on the application that you are MD resident. It is my understanding that you are neither legally nor technically a state resident unless you have state ID on you.

Even though you have other papers but, they are no good without an MD DL. Ask yourself: is your US citizenship more important or out of state DL???

Is there something sepcial in your "out of state" license or you don't want to spend couple of hours in line at DMV...

thanks guys. You are right. Saving a few hours in MVA and a few bucks is just not worth the risk. I'm getting it tomorrow.

Along that line, I have DL which has my old address.Though I have moved in different place, the town is same just a different street. Is that ok or not :p

Yes, you will have to change your DL immediately. RahulKumar had a kinda similar experience, when he moved from PA to VT. The interviewing officer had noticed him park the car from his window which still had a PA plate. The first thing he asked Rahul was his DL. I am not saying that your interviewing officer will be able to see your car through the window ( :D ), but if they do find out you have a DL from another state, they might decide to send your file to the relevant DO and thus delayyour process.

Would you consider it okay to change only your DL and leave other addresses (for banks, employment, etc.) as is to the old address. Would that create any problem?

I'm using a scenario where a person lives in a region which is covered by 2 different DO in a short vicinity and would make sense for him/her to "move" just the DL (possibly to a friend's address) to expedite the processing. Just a thought.

is it ok ?

Is it ok to change Out of State Driver licence after getting the interview notice?
My wife still has old licence.. its just lazyness , nothing else :) If she goes now to dmv and gets a CA licence, will it be fine? I mean will the officer enquire about this?

Take sold proof you live in the district where you are interviewing. Bills, receipts, lease aggrements etc etc.. IF you can get a new DL great!!

EB3Aug2001 said:
Is it ok to change Out of State Driver licence after getting the interview notice?
My wife still has old licence.. its just lazyness , nothing else :) If she goes now to dmv and gets a CA licence, will it be fine? I mean will the officer enquire about this?
Law states that you must notify DMV within 10 days of changing your address. There is no charge to change your address, and you may notify DMV by any of the following ways:

1. Call any DMV office at 1 (800) 777-0133 and request that a change of address form be mailed to you. It will take 5 days for you to receive it. Complete the information required on the form, then mail it to the address listed at the top of the form.
2. Download the Change of Address form DMV 14, http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/dmv/dmv14.pdf complete the information, and mail it to the address listed at the top of the form.

3. Visit any DMV office, complete a change of address form, and give it to a technician. The technician will give you a Change of Address Certificate card (DL 43) to complete and carry with your license.

If you do 1 or 2 above, type or write in ink your new address on a small piece of paper, sign and date it. Carry this piece of paper with your license. Do not tape or staple the change of address information to your driver license.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/faq/genfaq.htm#CHANGEADDRESS

out-of-state

Svj

thanks for clarification. But probably I missed saying its out-of-state.

We moved to CA from Ohio 2 years back. Our address on 140/485 is California address. My wife did not change the driving licence, (i dont know .. why?). She still holds Ohio DL.
Now I have an interview scheduled for AOS in 1 month. Will it be fine if she goes nw to DMV and appear for written test and get a DL transfer?

thanks

Hi EB3Aug2001,
Since your interview is on 16th March, you have ample time to get DL. For out-of-state lic in CA, once you pass written test, you get temp proof of CA DL and then you receive new DL in mail. I don't know having new DL will have any adverse effect on interview. But atleast you will have CA DL for her :)