Breaking News

labordrags

Registered Users (C)
Please post all the "breaking news" in this thread, and let other thread serve the purpose of it when initally established to do so.

You may copy/paste the latest news from other website and post it here, so it will help other members to get them updated on what is cooking inside DOL and USCIS.

Please try to avoid the duplicate post, so it would be benificial to scan the post before posting the new one.

And on top of that, please make it clean, meaning don't ask questions in this thread. Other threads are there to ask questions. ONLY post the breaking news section to help others to get the general ideas on the current topic.

I appreciate all your help in doing this wonderful job. Thank you all.

Chuck Hagle Immigration Bill from immigration-law.com

The Senator introduced four different bills in the Senate that cover wide range of immigration issues including border security, immigration enforcement, and immigration backlog reduction. The following is summary of the immigration benefits reform:
Willing Workers – To provide foreign workers for low-skilled jobs that would otherwise go unfilled, this legislation would admit a limited number of workers annually through a new temporary worker program. Employers seeking to hire foreign workers through this program must first demonstrate that no qualified U.S. worker exists and that they will provide the same wage levels and working conditions as U.S. workers. Workers will be admitted for a limited period of time and will be allowed to change employers. Visas are good for 2 years and can be renewed. Qualified workers and their families would be provided an opportunity to adjust their immigration status over time.
High-Tech Workers – To address the need for high-tech workers and to reduce the existing worker visa backlog, this legislation would allow foreign students who have earned an advanced degree in science, technology, engineering or math from U.S. universities to receive a H-1B work visa without leaving the country and without regard to the annual cap of 65,000. In addition, high-tech workers who have worked in the U.S. for three years may be allowed to adjust to permanent resident status without regard to the annual cap of 140,000. The spouses and children of immigrant workers would also be allowed to adjust status without regard to this cap.
Student Workers – To encourage more foreign students to study in the U.S., this legislation would give full-time foreign college and graduate students the opportunity to work part-time while studying at U.S. universities.
Earned Adjustment Program for Long-Term Undocumented Immigrants – This legislation would provide an opportunity for illegal aliens and their families to become invested stakeholders in the country if they can demonstrate that they have met all of the following requirements:
Passed national security and criminal background checks;
Resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years preceding the date of introduction;
Worked a minimum of 3 years in the U.S. preceding the date of introduction, and 6 years after introduction;
Paid all federal and state taxes;
Registered for Military Selective Service;
Demonstrated knowledge of English language and American civics requirements;
Paid a $2,000 fine, in addition to required application fees. Fines assessed from this program could total as much as $12 billion.
Earned Adjustment Program for Short-Term Undocumented Immigrants – Undocumented immigrants who cannot meet the work or residence requirements (2. and 3. above) will register with DHS and will be allowed to apply for a visa. However, these undocumented immigrants must return to their home country to obtain the visa and be readmitted through the legal process. These undocumented immigrants will have three years to complete the application process and will be authorized to work.
Backlog Reduction – This section of the bill would exempt certain individuals (living outside the U.S.) from existing caps on family-based immigrant visas. This section was originally included in the 2004 Hagel/Daschle Immigration Reform bill.
Cost: The new fines and fees created by this legislation will fund the new and expanded programs created in it. Fines assessed by this legislation could total as much as $12 billion. A majority of the funds will come from the $2000 fine illegal aliens would pay under the Earned Adjustment Program. The legislation has not yet been scored by the Congressional Budget Office. For the Senator's press release, please click here.

11/01/2005: Senate Judiciary Bill at the Brink of Collapse Unless Everybody Contacts Senators and Congressmen!!!

The full Senate failed to take a roll call for this bill today. Believe it or not, Senator Byrd intends to offer an amendment tomorrow (11/2/05) to remove the H-1B and immigrant visa retrogression provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee from the Budget Reconciliation Package.
Please call your Senators and urge a "NO vote on the Bird Amendment Immediately!!"
CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD: 202-224-3121 OR GET DIRECT LINES BY CLICKING HERE: http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/
Everyone should call tonight. I mean EVERYONE. Call your friends and relatives and ask them to participate in this urgent campaign and call their Senators tonight. Call or send e-mails to your immigrant friends and alert them IMMEDIATELY! Ask them to call or send e-mails to everyone they know and ask them to call the Senators tonight. TIME IS OF ESSENCE.
This reporter will check whether our visitors did their share of work by looking at the our homepage "counter" tomorrow morning.
FAIR, the anti-immigration meca, is sending out massive emails to everyone asking them to contact their Senator to vote yes to the Byrd Amendment.
This reporter has been receiving hate emails calling names like "idiot", "booh dooh,""poor English,""jerk," and other names which cannot be printed in the public website like this.

Please offer support TODAY

ACT TODAY

Extract from From immigration-law.com below:

Senate discussion today November 2, 2005

Please call your Senators and urge a "NO vote on the Byrd Amendment Immediately!!"

11/01/2005: Senate Judiciary Bill at the Brink of Collapse Unless Everybody Contacts Senators and Congressmen!!!

The full Senate failed to take a roll call for this bill today. Believe it or not, Senator Byrd intends to offer an amendment tomorrow (11/2/05) to remove the H-1B and immigrant visa retrogression provisions passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee from the Budget Reconciliation Package.

Please call your Senators and urge a "NO vote on the Byrd Amendment Immediately!!"

CALL THE CAPITOL SWITCHBOARD: 202-224-3121 OR GET DIRECT LINES BY CLICKING HERE: http://capwiz.com/aila2/home/

Everyone should call tonight. I mean EVERYONE. Call your friends and relatives and ask them to participate in this urgent campaign and call their Senators tonight. Call or send e-mails to your immigrant friends and alert them IMMEDIATELY! Ask them to call or send e-mails to everyone they know and ask them to call the Senators tonight. TIME IS OF ESSENCE.
This reporter will check whether our visitors did their share of work by looking at the our homepage "counter" tomorrow morning.

FAIR, the anti-immigration mecca, is sending out massive emails to everyone asking them to contact their Senator to vote yes to the Byrd Amendment.

AILA Link:

You can also single click and compose from this AILA link, but calling is better as the bill is up for discussion in the senate today:

http://capwiz.com/aila2/mail/oneclick_compose/?alertid=8185761

Last edited by a moderator:
SJC Bill Collapse/Killed,No retro reilef, Extemely Urgent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SJC Bill Collapse/Killed,No retro reilef, Extemely Urgent

Sorry if this is already posted, but looking at this it was worth taking a chance to post on all forums you can think of please post it in any other forum you are aware of, if it helps, unless already late for us to act

Please call your Senators and urge a "NO vote on the Bird Amendment Immediately!!"
FAIR, the anti-immigration meca, is sending out massive emails to everyone asking them to contact their Senator to vote yes to the Byrd Amendment.
This reporter has been receiving hate emails calling names like "idiot", "booh dooh,""poor English,""jerk," and other names which cannot be printed in the public website like this.

www.immigration-law.com

Good news

The Byrd amendment was not passed today in the senate (source C-SPAN2 live)

Vote: 00295
Date: 03-Nov
Issue: S. 1932
Question: On the Amendment S.Amdt. 2367
Result: Rejected
Description: Byrd Amdt. No. 2367; To replace title VIII of the bill with an amendment to section 214(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act to impose a fee on employers who hire certain non-immigrants.

The immigration provisions of the bill still alive !

Source:
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/vote_menu_109_1.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
8000 legal immigrants decided to go back to there home countries

Dear Guys,
I heard that they laid off 8000 people in texas from Verizon Wireless and they all decided and planning to go back to there home countries due to the stupid immigration rules and they cannot get there 7th year extension.

This is vey nice to hear because, I personally have 12 friends in this batch and they are all going back by end of this month.

good guys keep it up!!

Kasid is only spreading rumors...there is no truth to his report. He is trying to make the US government realize the loss they will have to bear if 8,000 people leave the country. His intention is noble but he needs to realize that the US government does not care. Even if 8,000 non-immigrants leave with $3 billion dollars with them, US has China to finance that amount.

S. 1932 and Spouse and Children of EB Beneficiary

S. 1932 provides that the immigrant visa for the accompaning or following-to-join deriavative beneficiary spouse and children of EB direct beneficiary should not be counted in EB annual cap. Some people question that since the system must draw the visa numbers from somewhere for the spouses and children, where the visa number will be drawn. This question is derived from misunderstanding of the immigration quota system. Under the current immigration system, all the employment-based immigrant petitions fall under the preference categories and in that regard are subject to the quota system. However, when it comes to the family-based immigration systems, the immediate relatives (spouses and children, and parents) of a U.S. citizen are not subject to the quota system and the U.S. government can issue green cards for these beneficiaries without any limitation in numbers. A similar concept will apply to the spouses and children of EB applicant under S. 1932, but the difference is that in the case of the spouse or children of EB direct beneficiary, unless the direct beneficiary's I-140 petition is eligible, their spouses and children will not be able to submit I-485 applications. Besides, unless the direct EB beneficiary's I-485 is first or simultaneously approved, the U.S. government will not be able to approve their I-485 applications. Accordingly, they remain "derivative" beneficiaries whose fate will depend on the direct beneficiary's eligibility and approval of the green card. The spouses and children thus cannot obtain the green card approval as separately from the direct beneficiary's immigration proceeding. In the following-to-join context, their applications may be processed after the direct beneficiary's I-485 is approved, but again the direct beneficiary's I-485 approval is basis for the family members' application and approval. In this regard, they will be indirectly subjected to the preference visa quota system in that unless the direct beneficiary's I-485 is approved after he/she gets his/her visa number current in the Visa Bulletin, their (spouses and children) I-485 applications will not be approved either. It is just that their applications would not take out visa numbers from the specific preference category quota and nothing more. This issue is discussed in Q&A 99, but we are reposting it in view of the widespread confusion in the immigrant community.

source: www.immigration-law.com

source: http://www.immigration-law.com/

"The following I-140 petition beneficiaries will be able to file I-485 applications regardless of the visa number availability:

Those whose employer filed I-140 petition for him or her, but who could not file I-485 applications because of the visa number retrogression. This group includes two sub-groups: Group A: Those whose I-140 petition has already been approved at any time. Group B: Those whose I-140 petition has been filed and pending at the tme of enactment of this legislation. It appears that those whose I-140 petition is not pending at the time of enactment of this legislation, one may still be able to file concurrent I-140 and I-485 application during the period of visa retrogression inasmuch as the USCIS revises the current concurrent filing regulation. Otherwise, these group of people have to wait until their I-140 petition is approved before they can file I-485 applications. "

I believe it is of utmost value to everyone here who is stuck at BEC to be able to file 485 as soon as the LC is cleared. The scary part here is that people who don't have 140 pending/approved, may not be able to take advantage of this legislation unless they change concurrent filing regulation. This is going to be a problem for all of us. How likely is that this regulation would change once the bill passes? Any ideas???

People are urged to continue their efforts to contact the members of the Congress.

11/10/2005: How S. 1932 Will Help Deficit Reduction, the Goal of H.R. 4241?

Members of the House of Representatives, the Senate bill, S. 1932, not only helps the America to recruit the brightests, to retain the brightest and protect our technologies against international competitors, and to keep the jobs in the U.S. and not to outsource our jobs, but also will help to reduce the nation's deficit upto $150,000,000.00.
Senate bill proposes to impose $500.00 additional I-140 filing fee for EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3. Considering the fact that the numbers for EB-4 and EB-5 are negligible, the total numbers may run upto close to 140,000 a year.
Senate bill proposes to impose $500.00 additional I-140 filing fees for 90,000 recaptured EB immigrant visa numbers.
Senate bill proposed to impose $500.00 addtional H-1B filing fees for 90,000 recaptured H-1B visa numbers.
The Senate immigration recapture part of the S.1932 is a winner for America and for the Congress from the four corners of the common sense! Please amend the H.R. 4241 to add this part (Section 8001 and 8002) of the Senate bill to Section 5100 to the House bill, H.R. 4241.
11/10/2005: H.R. 4241 Likely Tabled on the Floor Today

Republican House Majority Leader, Blunt says GOP takes this to the floor on Thursday. The chance for this bill is improving as the sticky issue relating to the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling and to ease restrictions on offshore drilling may be removed from the bill. Currently, this issue is considered to be a roadblock to passage of the bill, but potential removal of this provision is likely to pave a way to passage of this bill, not necessarily today but when the House returns next Monday. There are not too many days left before the Congressional session will be over for this session. If the House passes this bill, H.R. 4241, there is a good chance that H.R. 4241 and S. 1932 may go to the conference before the Congress will go into recess. People are urged to continue their efforts to contact the members of the Congress.

www.immigration-law.com

House of Rep. has finally started discussing HR 4241.

House is currently discussing the HR 4241 bill. Lets keep our fingers crossed. If it goes through the house with the same version as senate, we have a good chance that Mr Bushy will sign it.

As of 12:45 P.M. EST on 11/17/05

http://www.immigration-law.com/

11/17/2005 (9:00 p.m.): House Returned to Session and Currently Debates H.R. 4241

The House returned to the session at about 8:16 p.m. (EST) and started debating H.R. 4241. Please stay tuned to this web site for the House action tonight.

House has passed the bill: Remaining process

Once a bill is approved by one house, it is sent to the other, which may pass, reject, or amend it. In order for the bill to become law, both houses must agree to identical versions of the bill. If the second house amends the bill, then the differences between the two versions must be reconciled in a conference committee, an ad hoc committee that includes both senators and representatives. In many cases, conference committees have introduced substantial changes to bills and added unrequested spending, significantly departing from both the House and Senate versions. President Ronald Reagan once quipped, "If an orange and an apple went into conference consultations, it might come out a pear." If both houses agree to the version reported by the conference committee, the bill passes; otherwise, it fails.

After passage by both houses, a bill is submitted to the President. The President may choose to sign the bill, thereby making it law. The President may also choose to veto the bill, returning it to Congress with his or her objections. In such a case, the bill only becomes law if each house of Congress votes to override the veto with a two-thirds majority. Finally, the President may choose to take no action, neither signing nor vetoing the bill. In such a case, the Constitution states that the bill automatically becomes law after ten days (excluding Sundays). However, if Congress adjourns (ends a legislative session) during the ten day period, then the bill does not become law. Thus, the President may veto legislation passed at the end of a congressional session simply by ignoring it; the maneuver is known as a pocket veto, and cannot be overridden by the adjourned Congress.

Senate House Passed H.R. 4241

Finally a good news for all of us.... The Senate House debated all night last night and finally passed this bill by hair-thin close vote of 217 yeas and 215 nays at close to 2 O'clock this morning without amendment for the immigration bills. The House Deficit Reduction (H.R. 4241) had the following bills:

Senate bill proposes to impose $500.00 additional I-140 filing fee for EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3. Considering the fact that the numbers for EB-4 and EB-5 are negligible, the total numbers may run upto close to 140,000 a year.
Senate bill proposes to impose $500.00 additional I-140 filing fees for 90,000 recaptured EB immigrant visa numbers.
Senate bill proposed to impose $500.00 addtional H-1B filing fees for 90,000 recaptured H-1B visa numbers.

This will allow us to file I-140 and I-485 together once Labor is cleared.

It is a good news that H.R.4241 has been passed. It does not mean that immigration relief has become effective. House bill did not have these provisions which means senate and house bills will have to be reconciled in a conference committe. Hope it eventually passes.......NOT YET THOUGH....

GC_from_NJ said:
Finally a good news for all of us.... The Senate House debated all night last night and finally passed this bill by hair-thin close vote of 217 yeas and 215 nays at close to 2 O'clock this morning without amendment for the immigration bills. The House Deficit Reduction (H.R. 4241) had the following bills:

This will allow us to file I-140 and I-485 together once Labor is cleared.

If you read the immigration-law.com it says that those of us who have not got cleared labor certs and have already filed I140's will NOT be able to file concurrently. We will still only be able to file our I140 and not be able to file our I485 will our priority date becomes current. Of course that should happen much quicker so those people in line with PD's as old as 2001 will be able to file for adjustment and EAD's when that date comes round and will have their applications adjudicated ahead of the cases already there with later priority dates. I hope so anyway, those of us who have been waiting longest so far surely deserve a break some time.