Birth Certificate for parents

longjourney

Registered Users (C)
I have completed my citizenship interview and expecting the Oath letter soon. I would like to apply for my mother's green card as soon as possible. She is currently in the USA.

We do not have her birth certificate available. Is it possible to get the birth certificate from the Indian consulate in the US and send it along with the I-130/I-485 application? Does the INS accept the birth certificate issued by the Indian conulate in the US?

Thanks for your help.

longjourney said:
I have completed my citizenship interview and expecting the Oath letter soon. I would like to apply for my mother's green card as soon as possible. She is currently in the USA.

We do not have her birth certificate available. Is it possible to get the birth certificate from the Indian consulate in the US and send it along with the I-130/I-485 application? Does the INS accept the birth certificate issued by the Indian conulate in the US?

Thanks for your help.
Hi, longjourney.
You should be able to find the information you're looking for on your consulate's website.
Go to this site http://www.indianembassy.org/embassy/cgi.htm, and click on the link for your consular jurisdiction.

The birth certificate issued by the Indian consulate just states that the birth date is taken from passport. I am not sure it is of much value.

Maybe you can get one from the Taluk/District where you mother was born. Other possibilities are School Certificates, Marriage Certificates etc..

We tried obtainig some documentation for my mother's birth in Surat 87 years ago. No body in India can help. Officials in Surat say she is too old and there are no records. They suggest obtaining an affidavit. They will not issue a letter stating there are no records. The latter was suggested by a useless lawyer.

Question is. Will USCIS accept affidavits of her birth from relatives, younger than her? No one of her own age is alive!

Will USCIS accept affidavit at all in lieu of birth certificate?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can gor for DNA testing..............

This is what BCIS asked (DNA test) from my sister who is sponsoring for my parents. They r 60 + and obtaining the original birth certificates from India is impossible. However, we got birth certificates from Nagar Maha Palika where birth & death registration takes place. BCIS does not accept that. Infact they wanted old school records, marriage certificate of parents 35 yrs old and most impportantly DNA test of child and parents.

DNA test is best. Do it from BCIS certified place. U can write more if u have any Qs

DNA test??

Hello ibm101,

Do they determine date of birth from a DNA test? Is this how it is relevant?

Ashwin

kabadkar said:
Hello ibm101,

Do they determine date of birth from a DNA test? Is this how it is relevant?

Ashwin

Sorry they do not determine the date from DNA test just to be precise.

They r not interested in date of birth. Primarily they r interested in knowing whether the sponpors r ur true parents or not. That's what the BCIS r is interested in.

If u have supporting documents birth certificate age etc
along with DNA test for proving parentage ..............u have the best evidence on earth...u cannot deny a DNA test......................my friend science has reached very far.......... ;)