Birth certificate for I-485 filing (EB GC)

GC2k6

Registered Users (C)
I'm foreseeing some problem obtaining my birth certificate (necessary for I-485 filing). I don't currently have a birth certificate. I was born in village but my parents moved to another city later. My passport shows place of birth as CityName. Obviously, city won't give me either Birth certificate or non-availability letter. Is it ok if I get birth certificate from the concerned village municipal office with actual place of birth(village name)? Will it create another problem since my passport now has city name as place of birth? I appreciate your advice/suggestions on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance.

There are various ways you can provide such information.. check hear...

1. Birth Certificates
You will need to provide a photocopy of your birth certificate and a photocopy of the birth certificate of each family member applying with you. Please be advised that each of the birth certificates must include all of the following information:
Applicant's Full Name
Full Date of birth (Month, Day and Year)
Place of birth (City, Province/State if applicable, country)
Full Name of Mother (BOTH First Name and Last Name - maiden or married name.) Both first name and last name must be spelled out. An initial is not sufficient.
Full Name of Father (Both First Name and Last Name.) Both first name and last name must be spelled out. An initial is not sufficient.

Birth documentation must have been registered within one year after the birth and must comply with the State Department Foreign Affairs Manual ("FAM"), which specifies documents required and available from each country. Please click on the following link to view the FAM (Information listed by country and provided by the U.S. Dept. of State.) To view the FAM, click here: Foreign Affairs Manual.
A Birth Certificate is available from most countries. The FAM will specify when a birth certificate is not available; in some cases, the FAM will describe what alternative documentation, if any, may be submitted in place of a birth certificate. For example, individuals born in India may submit affidavits of birth and certificates of nonavailability as described below. Birth certificates issued by consulates are not acceptable.
For countries that issue Long Form birth certificates (including U.K. and Canada): For immigration purposes, you must obtain a copy of your "long form" birth certificate, which includes all of the information mentioned above, including your parents' full names. Extracts, abridged versions and wallet-size birth certificate cards are not acceptable for immigration purposes.
If a birth certificate exists but does not contain all of the required information as stated above, or was registered more than one year after the birth, alternative documentation must be submitted. Acceptable alternative documentation includes church or school records, or sworn affidavits. For a sample affidavit by both parents, click below.
Sample Affidavit by Both Parents
Alternatively, if either or both parents are not living, then the missing affidavit(s) can be signed by any other close relative older than the applicant, who is not party to the application and who has direct knowledge of the birth event and circumstances. Ideally, the signer should also be at least 7 years older than you. Two affidavits are required. For a sample of the affidavit, click below.
Sample Affidavit by Close Relative
The affidavit must specify the relationship betwe n the signer and the applicant, how well the signer knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. The affidavit must be signed and notarized. For a sample affidavit by a close relative, click on the link above. The affidavit can be modified accordingly.
Certificate of Non-Availability:
When a birth certificate does not exist, an affidavit of birth should be accompanied by a "Certificate of Non-availability" issued by a competent governmental authority confirming that the birth certificate does not exist. There is no set format for certificates of non-availability, but the document must indicate the reason the record does not exist, and indicate whether similar records for the time and place are available. If a birth certificate is not available and the FAM does not specify which documents should be submitted in place of the birth certificate, acceptable alternative documentation (in addition to the certificate of nonavailability) includes church or school records, or sworn affidavits.

Sample Affidavit of Birth for Close Relative

AFFIDAVIT BY [Close Relative's First Name] [Close Relative's Last Name]

Re: [Applicant's First Name] [Applicant's Last Name] (If child is married, list the following: (Applicant's Maiden Name: Applicant's Maiden Name))

I, [Close Relative's First Name] [Close Relative's Last Name], hereby depose and say:

That I, [Close Relative's First Name] [Close Relative's Last Name], was born on [date] in the town/city of [City], [Country].

My full and complete address is [street address with apartment or house number, town/city, state, postal zip code].

That I am closely related to [Applicant's First Name] [Applicant's Last Name]. I am his/her [fill in: uncle, aunt, grandparent, etc.]

That [Applicant's First Name] [Applicant's Last Name] was born on [date] in [name of city], [country] to [Mother's First Name] [Mother's Last Name] and [Father's First Name] [Father's Last Name].

That I have direct personal knowledge of the event and circumstances concerning the birth of [Applicant's First Name] [Applicant's Last Name] because [state how you are aware of the birth or birth date].

That I have known the applicant since [month/year].

This affidavit is being submitted because [CHOOSE ONE] there is no official record of birth [OR} the official record of birth is incomplete concerning [Applicant's First Name] [Applicant's Last Name].
I declare under penalty of perjury, that the foregoing is a true and correct statement.

Subscribed and Sworn to before
Me, this ____ day of __________,
[YEAR] at ______________________.