Biometrics Code 1 vs 2

bjorn

Registered Users (C)
When I did my biometrics, I was supposed to do biometrics code 1, but the ASC peson had me do biometrics code 2 for some reason. I do not know why, but she told me that I should do the fingerprinting for the index finger only (NOT ten-print), a photograph, and a signature. I then learned that biometrics code 2 is index finger fingerprint, photo, and signature. What I do not know is what is biometrics code 1 (the code I was supposed to do)? Has anyone done biometrics code 1 and can tell specifically what they did? If I did code 2, am I covered for code 1 as well?

Bjorn
From your other posts I am guessing you went for Biometrics based on the 485 receipt. I called up the 800 number too and scheduled an appt for me and my wife. I just want to know if there was any problem, since I am hearing some people are being sent back if they dont have a separate Fingerprint notice. If there wasnt a problem, did you ask what is to be done if you now get a separate fingerprint notice too, do you go again for biometrics?

bjorn said:
When I did my biometrics, I was supposed to do biometrics code 1, but the ASC peson had me do biometrics code 2 for some reason. I do not know why, but she told me that I should do the fingerprinting for the index finger only (NOT ten-print), a photograph, and a signature. I then learned that biometrics code 2 is index finger fingerprint, photo, and signature. What I do not know is what is biometrics code 1 (the code I was supposed to do)? Has anyone done biometrics code 1 and can tell specifically what they did? If I did code 2, am I covered for code 1 as well?

maverick13,
The I-485 receipt got me in and I did the biometrics, which was yesterday (Friday). No problem there. It went as smooth as it could. However, on the I-485 receipt, it did not specify my bimetrics code but just to call up the USCIS and schedule the appointment. When I called the USCIS they asked me for my biometrics code, and I said there is none on my I-485 receipt notice. We discussed this a little, and they decided to schedule me for biometrics code 2. To add to this confusion, my lawyer told me that I will NOT get a separate biometrics appointment letter, but the I-485 receipt is all I can expect. When I went to the ASC, I spoke with the person about the code situation, and she agreed that I am indeed code 2 based on my circumstances. However, the very next day (today), I received the official USCIS biometrics appointment letter, and it specified that I am biometrics code 1. I have tried to google the different codes to see if what I did for biometrics code 2 also covers biometrics code 1, but there does not seem to be any information regarding what the various biometrics codes cover. I plan to go back next week with my biometrics letter and redo the whole thing in order to set everything straight.

Bjorn
Excellent info, thanks!
Lets ask gurus on this forum for the details on biometrics codes 1,2,3 . I'll try finding out from my lawyer and will post it here.
Ginnu, pralay any help?

bjorn said:
maverick13,
The I-485 receipt got me in and I did the biometrics, which was yesterday (Friday). No problem there. It went as smooth as it could. However, on the I-485 receipt, it did not specify my bimetrics code but just to call up the USCIS and schedule the appointment. When I called the USCIS they asked me for my biometrics code, and I said there is none on my I-485 receipt notice. We discussed this a little, and they decided to schedule me for biometrics code 2. To add to this confusion, my lawyer told me that I will NOT get a separate biometrics appointment letter, but the I-485 receipt is all I can expect. When I went to the ASC, I spoke with the person about the code situation, and she agreed that I am indeed code 2 based on my circumstances. However, the very next day (today), I received the official USCIS biometrics appointment letter, and it specified that I am biometrics code 1. I have tried to google the different codes to see if what I did for biometrics code 2 also covers biometrics code 1, but there does not seem to be any information regarding what the various biometrics codes cover. I plan to go back next week with my biometrics letter and redo the whole thing in order to set everything straight.

maverick13
When I go and redo my biometrics next week (I plan on Tuesday as my local ASC is pretty much empty and walk-ins get done on an immediate basis according to the people working there Friday as I specifically asked this question about walk-in availability at my local ASC), I will check with the ASC what the different codes mean and what applicant is scheduled for what code. My wife just told me that she read on the ASC computer used for the fingerprinting that below are the biometrics codes. She also just said that these codes were printed on the bottom of the sign-in sheet in small print all applicants had to fill out, including us. I must have missed that. However, she also said that it never explained what applicants had to do what code based on what she could read. That's still a mystery. This I will ask the ASC next week and post that information on this forum in a new thread.
1= fingerprinting all 10 fingers
2=fingerprinting right index finger only, photo, and signature
3=fingerprinting all 10 fingers, photo, and signature

which applicant which biometrics code

Yes Bjorn please find out which applicants have to go for which biometrics code, if you can. The thing is my wife is studying on the east coast and I am having her fly here to California specifically for this biometrics on Oct 18th. So we want to get the right biometrics done the first time itself. Note that our appointments are taken based on the 485 receipt and we have not received the separate fingerprint notice as yet.

bjorn said:
maverick13
When I go and redo my biometrics next week (I plan on Tuesday as my local ASC is pretty much empty and walk-ins get done on an immediate basis according to the people working there Friday as I specifically asked this question about walk-in availability at my local ASC), I will check with the ASC what the different codes mean and what applicant is scheduled for what code. My wife just told me that she read on the ASC computer used for the fingerprinting that below are the biometrics codes. She also just said that these codes were printed on the bottom of the sign-in sheet in small print all applicants had to fill out, including us. I must have missed that. However, she also said that it never explained what applicants had to do what code based on what she could read. That's still a mystery. This I will ask the ASC next week and post that information on this forum in a new thread.
1= fingerprinting all 10 fingers
2=fingerprinting right index finger only, photo, and signature
3=fingerprinting all 10 fingers, photo, and signature

more info...

Bjorn
Following explains the current situation for fingerprinting:

Approved I-485s and ASC Appointment Notices

The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) Service Center Operations team has provided a guidance regarding the fingerprint appointment notices that applicants are receiving from Service Centers in cases of already-approved I-485 applications.

Service Center Operations advises that they have two distinctive workloads from I-485s, as far as biometrics are concerned:

1. Cases for which fingerprints were taken some time ago: In many instances the fingerprints are still valid, but at the time of the fingerprint taking, USCIS did not capture the photo, signature, and index fingerprint. Upon approval of the I-485, the USCIS requests that applicants appear at an ASC for biometrics capture. In this instance, it's likely to be for a photo, signature, and index fingerprint only. Dependents under 14 years of age will be asked to appear at an ASC for biometric photo capture purposes only.

2. Newly filed I-485s and I-485s with print query results that are 15 months old or older: These applicants are scheduled for the entire set of biometrics, including 10 prints, index print, photo, and signature. Dependents over 14 years of age will be scheduled for the entire set of biometrics capture. Dependents under 14 years of age will be asked to appear at an ASC only for biometric photo capture purposes. Upon approval of the I-485 at the Service Center, the adjudicator initiates card production, without recourse to ADIT processing at a district office.

NOTE: It is very important that applicants comply with the ASC notices to complete the processing of the required biometrics. Eventually all applicants will be going to the ASCs for both 10-print and index fingerprints, signatures, and photos before an I-485 case is approved. Also, children under the age of 14 will go to the ASCs for biometric photo capture only. The ASC notices currently read "Fingerprint Appointment Notice," and USCIS is finding that children under age 14 are not appearing at the ASC if they receive these notices when they are scheduled for photo capture. As a result, USCIS is in the process of changing the notices to read simple "ASC Appointment Notice."

maverick13,
Thanks for the info. What I am still confused about is who is doing what codes. I was told by the ASC to do code 2 when I went there, and the very next day in the mail I got a USCIS letter saying to do code 1. Very confusing. Does code 2 cover all that's done in code 1, or do codes 1 and 2 cover different things in the FP process?

Fp

Code 1 is all 10 FP. This is electronically sent to FBI the same day, they run it to match thru their database to match it with criminals/persons of interest and send the results the same day (or the next) to USCIS. Code 1 is very important as it is part of your security/background check and determines admissibility for gc.

Code 2 (index+photo+sign) is for the generation of cards for immigration benefits e.g. EAD, gc etc. If you filed for EAD, you definitely need code 2 or the card can not be generated.

Code 1 expires after 15 months e.g. FBI needs to check their database again. I have had two code 1. Code 2 is done everytime we apply for benefits (EAD- once a year).
Code 3 is a combination of both, when USCIS wants to get a security check done on you as well as generate cards (EAD) for you.

makes sense

I had been scheduled for code 2 but today I called the 800 number and they changed it to set up for code 1. My wife is set up for code 3. My wife has applied for EAD whereas I have not, so what pras01 is saying, makes a lot of sense then, I guess. But then it also means that just before the approval of my GC I will have to go for code 2, since right now only code 1 is getting done. Since my wife is getting code 3 done, she wont need anything more.
Thanks!

pras01 said:
Code 1 is all 10 FP. This is electronically sent to FBI the same day, they run it to match thru their database to match it with criminals/persons of interest and send the results the same day (or the next) to USCIS. Code 1 is very important as it is part of your security/background check and determines admissibility for gc.

Code 2 (index+photo+sign) is for the generation of cards for immigration benefits e.g. EAD, gc etc. If you filed for EAD, you definitely need code 2 or the card can not be generated.

Code 1 expires after 15 months e.g. FBI needs to check their database again. I have had two code 1. Code 2 is done everytime we apply for benefits (EAD- once a year).
Code 3 is a combination of both, when USCIS wants to get a security check done on you as well as generate cards (EAD) for you.

pras01,
Great info. I wonder why they just don't do code 3 for all instead of having some do one code and then come back for another code. Anyhow, I never did any biometrics before I recevied my EAD and AP, so there seems to be inconsistencies within the USCIS about this entire process then I guess.

Bio

USCIS has changed its procedures. In 1994, EAD was a walk-in, same day procedure where USCIS collected your photo, sign and index FP and generated your card in 30'!. In the last few years, with paperfiling of I-765, there was no appointment for biometrics, but the applicant needed to include 2 recent photos and a signed signature card in the application package. Biometrics started with e-filing and now it is more pervasive.
Maverick, at the time of gc approval, USCIS sends for a biometrics code 2 again for everyone. those whose FBI security checks have expired (FP taken >15 m ago) will get code 3. A card (gc, EAD) can not be ordered without Photo, sign and index FP. Earlier this year, some people in this forum received approval notice with instructions to go to the nearest office for PP stamp and card ordering, and at that time the officer stamping their PP also took their Photo, index FP and sign. Now USCIS has expedited card ordering system whereby people can get gc (card) in a few days/weeks as compared to 6-12 months. So USCIS is trying to do away with PP stamping and the more recent approval notices instruct applicants to go to ASC for biometrics for card ordering.

pras01,
Great info. I wonder why they just don't do code 3 for all instead of having some do one code and then come back for another code. Anyhow, I never did any biometrics before I recevied my EAD and AP, so there seems to be inconsistencies within the USCIS about this entire process then I guess.

Yes it happened in my case too. I recently applied for all three 485, 130 and 765 and I got my EAD card and Advance Parole Document even before I even received the Biometric notice. So Pras, I don't know if there is any relation to card generation with Biometric notice. By the way guys, I got code 3 on my Biometrics and this is my first time. Thanks and good luck.

I got my last EAD without code 2 biometrics
in the place where fingerprint should be there is "fingerprint is not available"
:eek:)

USCIS at its best!