Biometrics appt/Infopass- I-485 approval question

quizfan

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

Many questions here:

My I-485 was approved last week. I received the approval notice and it indicated that the final step was to seek a biometrics appt. I called the 800 number and sought an appt at San Jose. They've given one in mid-Oct. Is this a trend ppl from San Jose have seen? Can you seek an earlier appt?

Also, in parallel, I have taken the Infopass appt for the passport stamping. Does this have to wait for biometrics or are those two not related?

Btw, hypothetical case - is it okay to change jobs after the I-485 approval but before the biometrics appt?

Thanks in advance.

I have a situation similar to yours. Mine was approved on 09/06, with the instructions to seek appointment for biometrics. I have an appointment for 19th Oct. at the
San Jose ASC.

I would assume that you need the original I-485 approval
notice for biometric, as well as for I-551 stamping. I am not
sure if you can use the same notice twice. Also, my lawyer
told be that these days, uscis does not encourage I-551
stamping, unless it's an emergency.

Standard answer to your last question: you should stay with the company for 6-12 months after I-485 approval. According to the law, the green card is granted for the future employment, therefore you have to stay with the same employer for at least 6 months if not longer. The best would be to check with your attorney.
By the way, congratulations on your approval!

quizfan said:
Hi,

Many questions here:

My I-485 was approved last week. I received the approval notice and it indicated that the final step was to seek a biometrics appt. I called the 800 number and sought an appt at San Jose. They've given one in mid-Oct. Is this a trend ppl from San Jose have seen? Can you seek an earlier appt?

Also, in parallel, I have taken the Infopass appt for the passport stamping. Does this have to wait for biometrics or are those two not related?

Btw, hypothetical case - is it okay to change jobs after the I-485 approval but before the biometrics appt?

Thanks in advance.

485 approval question

Magdalena said:
Standard answer to your last question: you should stay with the company for 6-12 months after I-485 approval. According to the law, the green card is granted for the future employment, therefore you have to stay with the same employer for at least 6 months if not longer. The best would be to check with your attorney.
By the way, congratulations on your approval!

Thanks. The 6 month period is probably debatable. Rajiv Khanna has clarified in the "Life after the Green Card" section. I was more concerned about whether it is prudent to leave before the physical g.c. is available. [i.e. in the period between I-485 approval and availability of the card]

See Rajiv's opinion here on changing jobs.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=154533