BigJoe or anyone, I need some help! USPS Express Mail lost my N600 Application package!

Bluegrass1

Registered Users (C)
BigJoe or anyone here who might be able to help or advise: I got all the stuff together for son's N600 (my wife and I are US citizens by birth and we adopted our son internationally 4 years ago....happiest day of my life). We already have his US Passport, SS Card (SSA has him listed as US Citizen as well thanks to the US Passport), etc. But it seems that the only way USCIS would be aware that he is now a US Citizen, has a US Passport, etc. is for us to file the N600. So we did, because I want to always have everything he needs to have a great life.

So after gathering all the copies, doublechecking about 50 times that I had filled everything out correctly, etc. we went to the local post office yesterday (6/5) to mail it all via USPS Express Mail Overnight with delivery confirmation, etc. They gave us our Express Mail tracking number, etc. Now, I have mailed many things with Express Mail so I know that when you track it online there should be numerous in scans of where the package is. So I would expect to see several scans between here in Kentucky and the address in Phoenix, AZ. But this morning nearly 24 hours after we had mailed it, the track and confirm still just said that it been "accepted" at our local post office at the time we had originally mailed it. There were no other scans or processing or anything. So I go back to the post office (hoping it is actually still there so I can take it to UPS or FedEx) but the clerk (who I know fairly well) said it had indeed left yesterday afternoon with 2 other Express Mail Mailings. When he looked on his computer, none of the 3 mailings (included mine) said anything other than "acceptance" from the previous morning when it was mailed. He called the district postmaster who was irate that someone had apparently not scanned them when they picked them up, he told me to check back in about an hour. So I did, at 10:00 AM today (nearly 24 hours) after we mailed it, the status from USPS finally showed that it had passed through the Lexington, KY sorting facility at 7:01 last night (6/5)...but there were no other scans, no record of it being in any other cities at all, or arriving in Phoenix. Even now, it is past noon (the guaranted delivery) time and the latest update still just says "Lexington, KY" from last night. The postmaster believes there is a real possibility that it's lost; he says it's concerning that there are no other cities/stops listed past Lexington last night.

This package has very confidential information in it for thr N600 and it's LOST! So what do I do? If I file another N600 with USCIS and this one somehow shows up at USCIS.....that will be confusing for them....I will have submitted 2 N-600's that are the same. I'm afraid this would cause a problem, not to mention 2 checks for $550. Plus who knows where all our personal documents are right now!!!

I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

BigJoe or anyone here who might be able to help or advise: I got all the stuff together for son's N600 (my wife and I are US citizens by birth and we adopted our son internationally 4 years ago....happiest day of my life). We already have his US Passport, SS Card (SSA has him listed as US Citizen as well thanks to the US Passport), etc. But it seems that the only way USCIS would be aware that he is now a US Citizen, has a US Passport, etc. is for us to file the N600. So we did, because I want to always have everything he needs to have a great life.

So after gathering all the copies, doublechecking about 50 times that I had filled everything out correctly, etc. we went to the local post office yesterday (6/5) to mail it all via USPS Express Mail Overnight with delivery confirmation, etc. They gave us our Express Mail tracking number, etc. Now, I have mailed many things with Express Mail so I know that when you track it online there should be numerous in scans of where the package is. So I would expect to see several scans between here in Kentucky and the address in Phoenix, AZ. But this morning nearly 24 hours after we had mailed it, the track and confirm still just said that it been "accepted" at our local post office at the time we had originally mailed it. There were no other scans or processing or anything. So I go back to the post office (hoping it is actually still there so I can take it to UPS or FedEx) but the clerk (who I know fairly well) said it had indeed left yesterday afternoon with 2 other Express Mail Mailings. When he looked on his computer, none of the 3 mailings (included mine) said anything other than "acceptance" from the previous morning when it was mailed. He called the district postmaster who was irate that someone had apparently not scanned them when they picked them up, he told me to check back in about an hour. So I did, at 10:00 AM today (nearly 24 hours) after we mailed it, the status from USPS finally showed that it had passed through the Lexington, KY sorting facility at 7:01 last night (6/5)...but there were no other scans, no record of it being in any other cities at all, or arriving in Phoenix. Even now, it is past noon (the guaranted delivery) time and the latest update still just says "Lexington, KY" from last night. The postmaster believes there is a real possibility that it's lost; he says it's concerning that there are no other cities/stops listed past Lexington last night.

This package has very confidential information in it for thr N600 and it's LOST! So what do I do? If I file another N600 with USCIS and this one somehow shows up at USCIS.....that will be confusing for them....I will have submitted 2 N-600's that are the same. I'm afraid this would cause a problem, not to mention 2 checks for $550. Plus who knows where all our personal documents are right now!!!

I would really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

I think you are worrying too soon. In case you had not noticed, the USPS is losing money left and right, many facilities are closing or threatened with closure and there is a possibility of ending all Saturday service. The U.S. Postal Service is a political football on Capital Hill right now and has been for a couple of years.

It is too early to "go postal" over this. Did you include a form G-1145? If yes, wait for the text/e-mail.

Now, let's get down to the real business.

Did you go through the I-600 or I-800 process or was the child's immigration through an I-130? It makes a difference.

IF the child was adopted as an "orphan", was the Immigrant category IR-3 or IH-3 rather than IR-4 or IH-4? This too makes a big difference.

Please calm yourself and then provide a few more details. Thanks.

The post office website sometimes updates once a day for tracking information. My advise would be to wait until tomorrow/day after and then check online. Think it's a bit early to consider it lost.

RELAX! It's probably not lost, it's just delayed or the update to the tracking system is delayed.

Don't get concerned before tomorrow night.

I think you are worrying too soon. In case you had not noticed, the USPS is losing money left and right, many facilities are closing or threatened with closure and there is a possibility of ending all Saturday service. The U.S. Postal Service is a political football on Capital Hill right now and has been for a couple of years.

It is too early to "go postal" over this. Did you include a form G-1145? If yes, wait for the text/e-mail.

Now, let's get down to the real business.

Did you go through the I-600 or I-800 process or was the child's immigration through an I-130? It makes a difference.

IF the child was adopted as an "orphan", was the Immigrant category IR-3 or IH-3 rather than IR-4 or IH-4? This too makes a big difference.

Please calm yourself and then provide a few more details. Thanks.

Hi BigJoe and thanks. To answer your question, our son came home on an IR-4 Visa and has a permanent resident card. We had I-600 approval before we brought him home. The adoption was finalized here in the US, we got a new US birth certificate (record of foreign birth), received his US Passport, got his SS Card and made sure they listed him in their system as a citizen. I just want to make all the correct agencies know he is a US Citizen, that's why I was filing the N-600. He is the most important part of our lives and we want to make sure we have done everything we are supposed to do to document his US citizenship. All of that (copies) was in the Express Mail envelope along with the adopion decree, copies of everything, 2 passport style photos, etc. I knew I should have used UPS or FedEx but I assumed the postal service would be fine if I used Express Mail. The package is surely lost, the postmaster said there should be numerous scans between Lexington, KY and Phoenix....but all we have is that was processed through the sorting facility in Lexington on June 5th at 7:01....nothing else. Guananteed delivery was by noon today and that didnt happen (according to USPS website). I don't want to confuse anything with USCIS with submitting another N600 package.....on the off chance that the original package shows up there someday....which may never happen. So I'm darned if I do submit another one and darned if I don't. I want this to be a smooth process with USCIS (as it should be) but now this will mess everything up, confuse it, etc. I did file the form for text/e-mail confirmation from USCIS but if I don't receive that I will forever be wondering where the package is and what to do. What a mess.

RELAX! It's probably not lost, it's just delayed or the update to the tracking system is delayed.

Don't get concerned before tomorrow night.

Hey Jackolantern, thank you for the encouragement but I'm sure it is lost or missing. USPS themselves told me there should be multiple scans of the package making its way from Kentucky to Arizona....but there isnt....and that was "concerning". There is only the message "processed through our sorting facility in Lexington, KY" from June 5th at 7:01. Today is June 6th and it was supposed to be delivered by noon but still just has the same Lexington, KY message. If I file another N-600 then that's gonna confuse everything, but I may wait forever and never know what happened to the original package. I literally don't know what to do! I should have used UPS or FedEx! Also, I bound all the documents together with one of those medium sized black metal clips and I hope that didnt cause the package to get ripped or anything like that, my mind is just trying to figure out what could have happened to the package. It has lots of personal info in it from our family, like copies of passports, SS numbers, the 2 required passport style photos, etc. and who knows where it is!

No need to worry at this stage. Don't panic and give it one more day. The USPS tracking info is pretty slow in updating.

I admire USPS very much. I have not missed one utility and ceid card bill and never lost oen single
payment since time unknown.

Don't sweat yet. They update it once a day overnight.
I hope you are right. Its 9:00 pm on june 6 right now, This evening about 3:00 pm eastern time the status on USPS track and confirm finally changed to "arrived at unit" at 9:06 (Phoenix time) in Phoenix AZ. and it says they plan to deliver it today, of course today has already passed and it doesn't say it was delivered. Why is it just setting at the "unit" which I assume is the Phoenix post office that is/was supposed to deliver it.

Update

Well, all of the USPS express mail tracking updates came in about 5 minutes. At 10:00 it suddenly says the N-600 package was "delivered at 6:06 PM" and signed for by "L. Creeden". First of all I am so thankful, and pray its at the correct location. But isn't it odd that someone would be there to receive it at 6:06 PM? Are they open all night? Also, have you guys heard of L. Creeden before...does it sound like he/she is the correct person? Should I post this as a new thread?

My 2 cents

I just want to add to what everyone else has been telling you... relax... it's USPS. You can't count on them updating info on time, even their guaranteed service is not really guaranteed. Though sending it Express Mail - the odds are in your favor that you package will be safely delivered, may be with 1 day delay.

For the next time, spend couple $ more and send it Fedex or UPS.

Now my experience... Sent documents, incl original ink fingerprints card, from NYC to WV FBI for background check - unrelated to US immigration - USPS priority with tracking #. The package got routed to Champagne, IL for some mysterious reason. Called the post office there, they were nice enough to look it up and rerout it correctly. Then accordingly to USPS website it got delivered, but in fact it got lost somewhere, because after 2 mo of going back and forth FBI admitted they never got them and never processed anything.
That was a royal pain for me, beyond description.

Next time I got from FBI a physical address that Fedex could deliver and had no issues after that.

I think over time UPS has gotten somewhat better. Fedex has been known to be very good, but my recent experience with them had few screw-ups too.

Well, all of the USPS express mail tracking updates came in about 5 minutes. At 10:00 it suddenly says the N-600 package was "delivered at 6:06 PM" and signed for by "L. Creeden". First of all I am so thankful, and pray its at the correct location. But isn't it odd that someone would be there to receive it at 6:06 PM? Are they open all night? Also, have you guys heard of L. Creeden before...does it sound like he/she is the correct person? Should I post this as a new thread?

You are good. Just check it out

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?298309-Fedex-UPS-n-400-to-Phoenix-AZ

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297790-n400-march-2011-filers/page__st__60

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297790-n400-march-2011-filers/page__st__255

Good to see the update. You can relax now. I've known USPS site to update very slowly but they do deliver on time (mostly). For folks who like to track very periodically (including myself), Fedex/UPS works best.

Thanks, that's reassuring. On our delivery confirmation, there is not an actual signature....its like a stamp that says "L. Creeden". Hope that is okay, just seems odd to me that USPS delivered it at 6:00 pm last night, who would be there working at 6:00 pm? Maybe I'm over thinking it. How long before I should get an email or text confirmation from USCIS? Or something.