Big B gets US citizenship

Bobsmyth

Volunteer Moderator
Ok ok, for those of you who know who the Big B is, I have gained your attention, for others no need to read on...

The headline is not true, just an attention grabber..

This being said, how much value does US citizenship have for someone who moves back to India whose intention is to live and settle there?

This being said, how much value does US citizenship have for someone who moves back to India whose intention is to live and settle there?
1. They can collect Social Security from the US govt when they're old enough (if SS is still around at that time!).

2. They can visit Australia, Japan, most of Europe, and the US without a visa.

Big B is an Indian actor. He has ben acting for almost 40 years! But I think Big B is not the best actor India produced talent wise. Most of today's actors in India cannot be called talented. I think in most asian/oriental movies the acting is bad. There is little talent.

Big B owned a Tv station in US but sold it as it was not profitable. Some actors/actresses in Bollywood movies were models and when they act in movies it seems like they are modeling. Some are sons/daughters of former stars just like Big B's son who is a mediocre actor compared to his father.
I think in most of the Indian movies or for the matter Asian movies the story is non-existant. They copy/plagarize from hollywood movies sometimes scene for scene. Otherwise almost all Indian movies are unrealistic sing/dance escapist movies with no story and bad acting. It seems to me they have associated acting with shouting and yelling. The music is bad for the most part. But compared to Pakistani and bangladeshi movies if they have any at all, Indian movies are still better.
The Chinese/hongkong movies are stereotyped as martial arts movies may be with some justification. There comes a time when one gets tired of this kind of entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have to pay US Taxes while you live abroad.
If not you will be arrested when you comeback to US.
I am not Indian but I think this applies to any other country.

I think you have to pay US Taxes while you live abroad.
If not you will be arrested when you comeback to US.
I am not Indian but I think this applies to any other country.

That is correct.Once you become US citizen, you are taxed on your world income, although I don't how the IRS polices this if you are living outside the country. Perhaps they expect US citizens to file income taxes regardless of where they are living.

That is correct.Once you become US citizen, you are taxed on your world income, although I don't how the IRS polices this if you are living outside the country. Perhaps they expect US citizens to file income taxes regardless of where they are living.

They do indeed, one reason why I can't fully understand why people get citizenship and then immediately leave. Why pay taxes to a country you aren't living or working in?

They do indeed, one reason why I can't fully understand why people get citizenship and then immediately leave. Why pay taxes to a country you aren't living or working in?
Unless you make a huge amount of money, you probably won't pay any US tax at all, due the exemptions and credits you can claim when living outside the US and paying taxes to your non-US country of residence. But as a US citizen living outside the US, you still have to file a US tax return, even if the net amount of US tax is zero.

Unless you make a huge amount of money, you probably won't pay any US tax at all, due the exemptions and credits you can claim when living outside the US and paying taxes to your non-US country of residence. But as a US citizen living outside the US, you still have to file a US tax return, even if the net amount of US tax is zero.

I wonder how many people who do become US citizens and move back to their country are aware of this and actually fill out a return each year.

Unfortunately the sad truth is some people become US citizens just for the visa free travel it provides. The same occurs in Canada.

Ok, that makes sense. Coming originally from the UK I suppose I take visa free travel for granted, so that part of US citizenship is something I have overlooked.