Bank Statements and PO BOX?

jimmyLenny

Planning to apply for naturalization in the next year or two. Few times I have been asked (by DMV mostly) to prove my residency. For that I used bank statements which have my address in the top left corner.

For the last 6 months I have been using a PO BOX, so all statements now do not have physical address but rather the PO BOX address.

PO BOX is for my convenience, I prefer it over my regular mail + it is handy when I travel and/or move from apartment to an apartment.

Question:
Is it a problem for the immigration officer at the naturalization interview? May it be a problem when it comes to proving my physical residence?

POBox can not be used as a substitute for physical address on n-400 application. You have to provide your physical address for last five years on the application.

However you can use PObox as your mailing address on the application. All application correspondents will come to your Pobox, not your physical address :)

fisherman: I appreciate your reply. But I am not talking about the N-400 yet.

I am talking about general bank accounts, and credit cards mailing addresses. They all go to my PO BOX.

Before submitting N-400 I am planning to do 2-3 month trip. Possibly, could IO accuse me of breaking continuous residence especially if he sees PO BOX on each and every bank/credit card statement?

I don't know, but being absent 2 months + having a P.O. Box on bank statements may sign an abandonment of residence. Am I right?

I don't think Pobox on bank or credit statement will be a problem. I also use Pobox not only for my bank and credit statement, but also for my utilities bills too.

I used Pobox on my application too and IO asked me about physical address on application and how long. I told her over 10 years and that was the end of that :)

They want the applicant physical address not only for proof of continued residency, but also make to make sure the applicant is living in their district. Having back activities is good way of showing continued residency, but if you have absentees during last five years, they may ask for more proof :)

fisherman, have you become US citizen already?

My point was, if asked, how are you gonna prove a length of a physical residence if all mail you are receiving does not go there?

Also, could it be a problem if I take, say, 3-4 month international trip in between the leases, not having any physical address and just use PO BOX for all communication? Could they accuse me of breaking continuous residence even though the trip is below six months?

Hi Jimmy. I be sworn in as citizen on Friday, July 17th.

If trips have been under 6 months, I don't see why it be a problem. But as always be prepared and have the records to prove length of trips.

As for physical address, you have to write down and make list of where you have been living for last five years. With dates for each length of residency as application ask for dates also. And then see if you can get a letter from landlord or utility companies for proof of residency. Even if you have been living relatives, I would write that down on application too.

fisherman: so you are almost there, congratulations to you! I am jealous at the same time :)

I lived on bunch of places and most of the time I just paid cash for my room. So I have no receipts, no proof of residency. Would that be a problem?

What have they specifically asked you about the addresses?

Thanks jimmy. Finally a US citizen after 25 years in the USA. Now I can run for office LOL

How about your job for last 5 years. That probably be good way to show residency. The IO asked me about my job and what I do there. Of course it was a conversation rather than "question and answer" session. IO was really nice and made the interviewee real comfortable. She was always smiling :)

That was in Memphis. They are work real fast. I live 3 hours from Memphis, so had to commute.

Here is timeline from Memphis:

March 11 2015: Send in application
march 17: Application received.
April 13: Did biometric appointment
May 28: interview letter send
June 30th: Interview done and approved
July 17 2015: oath ceremony in Memphis.