Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Congrats to all the people who got IL. Papers are moving. Good. I wish my oath letter also comes soon.

Is letter from the current and previous employer needed

I have seen some people post that they took letter of employment from both their current employer and previous employer to the Interview. Is a letter from the previous employer really needed? W2, Tax document etc. should suffice right? The reason is that I cannot get a letter of employment from my previous employer.

Congrats to all the people who got IL. Papers are moving. Good. I wish my oath letter also comes soon.
gg11,

When was your interview.

What documents were asked during the interview.

What questions were asked during the interview.

I am assuming you had your interview in Baltimore. Is that correct?

Thanks.

gg11,

When was your interview.

What documents were asked during the interview.

What questions were asked during the interview.

I am assuming you had your interview in Baltimore. Is that correct?

Thanks.

My interview was at Baltimore DO on 01/18/07.

Documents asked were passport, GC. I requested a name change, so a copy of my marriage certificate.

The officer went through the N-400 form, then english and Civics test which was very easy.

Everything went on well, the officer worked on compter for a minute and said everything looks good at this moment, only thing is there is another file of me lying at national records center, they have to request that file and consoliadte everything, then I will receive a letter from them.

I have seen some people post that they took letter of employment from both their current employer and previous employer to the Interview. Is a letter from the previous employer really needed? W2, Tax document etc. should suffice right? The reason is that I cannot get a letter of employment from my previous employer.

Employment letters are not normally required. I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some reason to think your employment history lends itself to an in-depth examination.

I am now a US citizen

Here is an update on my timeline:

9/18/2006 - Mailed N-400 application, checks, etc to VSC
9/21/2006 - application delivered (based on USPS tracking)
9/21/2006 - Priority Date
9/21/2006 - Case Status updated
9/29/2006 - Case Status last updated
9/30/2006 - Received I-797C, Notice of Action receipt notice
10/5/2006 - Received Fingerprint notice
10/12/2006 - FP done at Glenmont ASC (appt time 1 pm). Test not available
online status dissappears ???? as of 3/30/2007 case status has not dissappeared and says it was last updated Sept 29th
Received IL 1/22/2007
ID 3/12/2007 1 pm
Oath letter received 3/14/2007
Oath Date 3/30/2007 9 am (approx 9:45 am I became a US citizen)
passport application submitted 3/31/2007
Voter registration mailed 3/31/2007
voterID received ???
passport received ???

Now for the gory details. I took my citizenship oath this morning. The appointmentwasfor 9 am. I arrived at 8:30 am and checked in at the information window in room 101. The lady ther looked at my letterand told me to just have a seat. At 9:05 a USCIS officer came in and announced that all those who were there for the 9 am oath ceremony should form a line and we would go up to the 7th floor.

The room on the 7th floor was rectangular layed out with about 120 chairs with an ise down the middle. The chairs faced the long side with the windows. There was a table at the front and to the left, a lectern in the middle and a large television to the right of the lectern. Also, the room was decorated as one would expect for a July fourth celebration, though a bit more modestly.

The people on each of the two sides of the room took turns lining up to have one officercheck our letter and GC. Then we proceeded to the table on the left where we handed the letter and GC to a lady who searched for our names on a list and told the lady seated next to her the reference number for the certificate. The frst lady then gave us a small welcome packet. We then verified that the info on the Nat certificate was accurate before returning to our seats. By this time it was about 9:35.

We then stood to the singng of the anthem which was played on a tape recorder/cd player. Next we listened to a 1 min speech o the prevlige and responsibilities of a US citize. A member of the US coast guard who was in uniform was specially acknowledged and we all applauded. Next we stood to the pledge of allegiance and then watched a 2 min video from President Bush welcominging us as new citizens. Next we went up to collect our Nat certificate as our names were called. This brought us to about 9:55 am.

We were now free to leave or consult with the USCIS officers who were present on any immigration questions we might have.

As of about 9:45am today when I took the oat of alegiance to the US I became a United States of America citizen. God Bless America.

I have completed my passport application and will be submitting it tomorrow. Also, I have filled out myvoter registration form and will mail it tomorrow. I will continue to post on the board untill I have gotten my passport or voter ID, whichever comes last.

In case anyone is interested, the only documents they were interested in at the oath ceremony were the oath letter and the GC. They simply asked us to complete the questios on the back of the oath letter without checking our passports.

Here is another update to my timeline. I had my interview at 1 pm on Monday (3/12/2007). At the end of the interview I got a paper saying that a decision could not be made at this time but I would be notified by mail of the decision. The interviewer said he just wanted to review it later to make sure everything was in order. In any event, there was no oat ceremony on Monday. Anyway, 2 days later, Wednesday (3/14/2007) I recieved the oath letter in the mail. It was postmarked the previous day. The oath date is Friday 3/30/2007 at 9 am.

Here is an update on my timeline:

9/18/2006 - Mailed N-400 application, checks, etc to VSC
9/21/2006 - application delivered (based on USPS tracking)
9/21/2006 - Priority Date
9/21/2006 - Case Status updated
9/29/2006 - Case Status last updated
9/30/2006 - Received I-797C, Notice of Action receipt notice
10/5/2006 - Received Fingerprint notice
10/12/2006 - FP done at Glenmont ASC (appt time 1 pm). Test not available
online status dissappears ???? as of 3/30/2007 case status has not dissappeared and says it was last updated Sept 29th
Received IL 1/22/2007
ID 3/12/2007 1 pm
Oath letter received 3/14/2007
Oath Date 3/30/2007 9 am
passport application submitted ???
Voter registration mailed ???
voterID received ???
passport received ???

This is my first post. My wife and I sumbitted our application a couple of weeks ago.

WIFE
03/13/07 Mailed N-400
03/16/07 Mail Delivered (based on USPS Tracking)
03/19/07 N-400 Received (based on USCIS Online Status)
03/20/07 Bank Check Cleared (based on Bank's website)
04/02/07 Received I-797C, Notice of Action receipt

ME
03/13/07 Mailed N-400
03/16/07 Mail Delivered (based on USPS Tracking)
03/19/07 N-400 Received (based on USCIS Online Status)
03/20/07 Bank Check Cleared (based on Bank's website)
04/02/07 Received I-797C, Notice of Action receipt

Welcome to the forum!

Not sure it helps to know, but anyway, I applied approximately this same time last, and took my oath in July. Please keep us posted with your progress.

Infopass

I took an infopass and talked to the lady in the counter.

She said case is still pending, as they are awaiting the files from national records center. She said we are taking care of the things. She mentioned it may take upto 6 months.

I had my interview on 01/18.

New Civic test at Baltimore

Does any one know if they are giving new civic test at Baltimore ?

My interview is May 14, 2007.

Does any one know if they are giving new civic test at Baltimore ?

My interview is May 14, 2007.

The new format of the test has been adopted on voluntary basis in 10 cities early this year. The ten pilot sites are: Albany, NY, Boston, MA; Charleston, S.C.; Denver; El Paso, Texas; Kansas City, Mo.; Miami; San Antonio, Texas; Tucson, Ariz.; and Yakima, Wash. The format does not apply to any city in MD, VA or the DC so you should be fine with the older format.

Good luck with the interview. :)

My timeline:
N-400 Application mailed - 12/14/2006
Priority Date - 12/19/2006
FP - 01/11/2007
IL - ???
ID - ???

Anybody else in the same boat?

The new format of the test has been adopted on voluntary basis in 10 cities early this year. The ten pilot sites are: Albany, NY, Boston, MA; Charleston, S.C.; Denver; El Paso, Texas; Kansas City, Mo.; Miami; San Antonio, Texas; Tucson, Ariz.; and Yakima, Wash. The format does not apply to any city in MD, VA or the DC so you should be fine with the older format.

Good luck with the interview. :)

Thank you for the info...

I heard from some people if your interview is in the morning at Baltimore you can take Oath same day in the evening.

Any suggestions...How you can pass 6 hours in Baltimore...

Thank you for the info...

I heard from some people if your interview is in the morning at Baltimore you can take Oath same day in the evening.

Any suggestions...How you can pass 6 hours in Baltimore...
First of all there is no guarantee that your oath WILL be the same day as the Interview. In order for same day oath the following conditions must me met:

1. Your Interview must be in the morning.
2. You must be approved in the interview.
3. Oath must be offered the same day as the Interview. In Baltimore on Monday's there are no Oaths. (To the best of my knowledge).
4. There must be space to accommodate you for same day oath.

As far as passing time, the USCIS office is in downtown Baltimore.

You can sigthsee downtown.

Some things to do:

1. Take the Water Taxi from Inner Harbor. Inner Harbor is very close to the USCIS office. The taxi will cost around $15.00 - $20.00 and will take about 1-3 hours of your time depending on where all you get off.

2. You can visit the famous Baltimore Acquarium. It is really worth it. It costs around $25.00 ane will take 2 - 3 hours to see. There are Dolphin shows as well.

3. Visit Other sight seeing places Like the World Trade Center, ESPN Zone etc.

4. Take the Duck Taxi. This goes on road as well as water. I don't know the cost but it is nice.

Remember: All of these cost money. If you don't want to spend then just roam the Inner Harbor and read a book. Except the Acquarium everything else is outdoors. So if the weather is bad your choice is Acquarium, ESPN zone etc.

Friday oaths are in the morning at 9am, so you can rule that day out as well. It also depends how backed up they are - if there is space they will try to fit you in, otherwise you have to wait 3-4 weeks.

just received my FP appointment letter.

Looks like things are moving fast.. (knock on wood)

03/20/2007 - Mailed N400
03/23/2007 - Application Received
03/26/2007 - Checks Cashed
03/26/2007 - Priority Date
04/09/2007 - Received NOA (Application received)
04/11/2007 - FP NOA
04/19/2007 - FP appointment

New N-400 Candidate

Hello Folks,

I am new to the forum as well as to the process of immigration. I am still trying to figure out the meaning on different headings like FP, IL, ID ? etc...

Here are my details:
-Filed N-400 application in January, 2007 from Maryland.

-Got a letter from USCIS first week Feb, 2007 for Finger Printing

-Fingerprinting done 20th Feb, 2007 at Silver Spring, MD. They asked me if I wanted to take the "Test" that day itself or want to wait till the oath date. I opted for till the oath date.

-USCIS status still reflects the last letter send by them to me, it doesn't mentions anything regarding status of fingerprinting or anything about that matter.

Experts, can you guide me to what the rest of the process would be and how much time it can take before actual Oath happens and I get my Naturalization Certificate.

I thank you in advance.

Cj

First of all there is no guarantee that your oath WILL be the same day as the Interview. In order for same day oath the following conditions must me met:

Some things to do:

1. Take the Water Taxi from Inner Harbor. Inner Harbor is very close to the USCIS office. The taxi will cost around $15.00 - $20.00 and will take about 1-3 hours of your time depending on where all you get off.

Thank you very much for all the tips of things to do in Baltimore. They are really helpfull. I hope weather will be good on that day and I can do some of the interesting things you have mentioned.

Does any one know if there is any Indian Restaurant in walking distance from the USCIS office.?

Fortunately my interview is on Monday and in the morning. I hope things go well and I can take the oath on the same day.
Once you take the oath you are kind of stuck here in US until you get the passport and Indian OCI. I guess I shouldn't plan to Visit India this Summer.