• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Bad News: Bill was passed to end DV Lottery!!

win dv

Registered Users (C)
"Founder: RIP Diversity Lottery - The Committee passed Goodlatte's bill to eliminate the Green Card Lottery - People, there is NO SECOND CHANCE ANYMORE -

IT'S OFFICIAL, DV-LOTTERY HAS TODAY ENDED. (see supporting links below)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It has to pass thro congress.That was just a committe,but the way it sailed thro swiftly it may go all thro'.May be those with knowledge of american law can explain further.

This link indicates that the Committee Approves Bill:

http://judiciary.house.gov/news/07202011.html

Committee Approves Bill to Eliminate Visa Lottery

For Immediate Release
July 20, 2011
Kathryn Rexrode (Goodlatte), 202-225-5431

Washington, DC – The House Judiciary Committee today approved the Security and Fairness Enhancement (SAFE) for America Act (H.R. 704), a bill that eliminates the diversity visa program. This program is plagued by fraud and is an open door for terrorists. The bill, sponsored by Intellectual Property Subcommittee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), was reported favorably to the House floor by a vote of 19-11.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith (R-Texas) and Chairman Bob Goodlatte today praised the Committee vote.

Chairman Smith: “This diversity visa program is better known as the visa lottery since thousands of immigrants are selected at random to receive greencards. Basing our immigration system on the luck of the draw is not smart immigration policy. It’s an open invitation for fraud and a jackpot for terrorists.

“While a small number of people who play the lottery actually win the prize, most people lose. With the visa lottery, the American people lose since U.S. immigration policy and national security are compromised.”

Chairman Goodlatte: “The visa lottery program poses a national security threat. Under the program, each successful applicant is chosen at random and given the status of permanent resident based on pure luck.

“This flawed policy is just foolish in the age in which we live. Those in the world who wish us harm can easily engage in this statistical gamble with nothing to lose. Our immigration policy should be based primarily on our national needs, security and economics and not in part on an arbitrary system, lacking even minimal checks.”

Background: The diversity visa program was created in 1990 to increase diversity in the United States immigrant population by providing up to 55,000 greencard visas per year. Since they were first issued in 1995, over 785,000 diversity visas have been issued. Individuals who receive a diversity visa are free to petition for greencard visas for their family members.

However, the diversity visa program has been flawed from the outset. State Department officials have found the diversity visa program to be plagued by many types of fraud, including marriage and document fraud.

Also, the Government Accountability Office has found the diversity visa program to be an open door for terrorists. Each year, diversity visas are issued to individuals from countries listed as State Sponsors of Terrorism. For the 2011 program, 1,842 Iranians, 553 Sudanese, and 32 Syrians were issued diversity visas.

I hate when ppl who have no idea about the law and congressional process comment and post stuff like this...I hope more people read this thread and believe DVL is canceled so that fewer ppl apply next yea...:cool:That's what you get for being ignorant and plainly stupid.
H.R. 704 passed the House Judiciary Committee. This comes at no surprise. The House and the Committee are in the hands of the GOP, who try to reduce immigration. The House will now consider the bill and most likely it will pass in the next month or two. HOWEVER, the bill does not become a law until the Senate votes on the exact same bill. First, the bill, if approved by the House, will have to go through the Senate Judiciary Committee, which is in the hands of the Dems. They will not push for this bill so it will die just the same way the previous versions of this bill died in 2005 and 2007.
Senate has made it clear that they want to see a comprehensive immigration reform bill on the table and not just piece by piece legislature. If the DV is canceled it would be as part of a bigger and more thought through bill.
Committees and oftentimes the House pass hundreds of bills every month but very few become a law...most of those bills simply signal attitude in each chamber and become grounds for debate and eventual bi-partisan legislature.

No. Stop being uneducated prick. This is the committee. Go do some reading....

Hey, i'm just reporting what is out there (this is being discussed on other sites)....That is why the title of this thread says 'bill was passed".

Btw, you don't want me to tell you who is a prick!!!! You will never win again!!!

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. There have been past bills passed too. Understand that it is a PROCEDURAL process with many hoops to jump through. It's just passed at Committee stage, next it has to go to the Floor, another Committee, then to the President. So I would not be premature. Nevertheless, I was surprised to see many people agreeing with the bill that I did not expect like Sen Zoe Lofgren. Let's just say there is more pressure than ever that the DV needs to go and more people are in agreement now: very high rates of unemployment where even Americans are fighting for low grade jobs that traditionally DV people do, US in crisis (the word "depression" used in commentary), the law suit this year against DOS hasn't exactly helped either.

Hey, i'm just reporting what is out there (this is being discussed on other sites)....That is why the title of this thread says 'bill was passed".

Btw, you don't want me to tell you who is a prick!!!! You will never win again!!!

No, you are NOT reporting. You're just scaring people out of spite. You've posted the following: Yup, it's official: EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2011, END OF DV-LOTTERY PROGRAM

This statement is FALSE and the link you've posted as a 'support' makes no such claims. Stop acting like a prick and I will stop calling you one. End of story.

I wouldn't jump the gun just yet. There have been past bills passed too. Understand that it is a PROCEDURAL process with many hoops to jump through. It's just passed at Committee stage, next it has to go to the Floor, another Committee, then to the President. So I would not be premature. Nevertheless, I was surprised to see many people agreeing with the bill that I did not expect like Sen Zoe Lofgren. Let's just say there is more pressure than ever that the DV needs to go and more people are in agreement now: very high rates of unemployment where even Americans are fighting for low grade jobs that traditionally DV people do, US in crisis (the word "depression" used in commentary), the law suit this year against DOS hasn't exactly helped either.

Agreed. Just one correction. Rep. Zoe Lofgren opposed the bill. She did try to put in an amendment to allocated the visas to family based immigration post factum.

No, you are NOT reporting. You just scaring people out of spite. You've posted the following: Yup, it's official: EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2011, END OF DV-LOTTERY PROGRAM

This statement is FALSE and the link you've posted as a 'support' makes no such claims. Stop acting like a prick and I will stop calling you one. End of story.

Hey, that the document indicates the effective date. Please note that a misunderstanding and making a false claim is totally different. However, once you have read the details in the links, why not intelligently explain them, rather than calling people names? You've made it worse....That is what we are here for (i.e. to share ideas) We are pricks and uneducated alike, I guess.