Bad Experience entering Canada

AAZZ

Registered Users (C)
I visited Canada for a weekend trip and had a little heated exchange with the Canadian immigration officers at Airport. Some how they were "worried" that I will not go back to US, although I am a US citizen.

I am wondering what can I do (if any thing), so that this expereince will not repeat, and not ruin my future vacations. Your suggestions are welcome.

Basic Info:

1. I am a US citizen. How ever, back in the day when I used to be a student on F1 visa, I applied for Canadian residency.
2. I abandoned my Canadian residency application since my US residency application was later filed. I was under this wrong assumption that I cannot pursue two residencies together.
3. I was called for interview for Canadian residency. Obviously I did not go to it. I guess I should have at least withdrawn my application.Oh well.
4. I became a US permanent resident.
5. I received a rejection notice from Canadians that they are not convinced that I am a "geologist". This was an Error/Typo since I am an engineer. However I did not care as I had abandoned that application.
6. Fast forward a few years, I became US citizen
7. Visited Canada for a weekend trip and they did additional scrutiny asking me if I really will go back to US. Eventually they allowed me in. Enjoyed rest of the trip.

8. I have heard from a Japanese Doc friend of mine that she has to go thru the same expereince, every time she visits Canada. She also applied for Canadian residency in the past and was denied, since she was a undergoing school here in US and did not intend to move right away.

So, here are my questions:

A. Is there any thing I can do, so that if I ever go back to Canada for a vacation, this should NOT happen again.

B. Do I need to get that stupid "geologist" rejection error fixed. It seems to be a typo on their part. But it makes me look like as if I had lied. For heavens sake I worked as an Engineer all my life, I do not even know how to correctly spell geologist. Should I hire a Lawyer to fix this error, or a simple contact with Canadian immigration people can fix it?

C. Actually, besides that rude welcome, I liked rest of my trip. I want to keep my options for residency in Canada open in the long run. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
A: You can never guarantee that. No one can.
B: Since this was your first visit after abandoning your Canadian PR application, the CIC officers were just completing their due deligence. It is likely that their suspicion is now dormant and you will not need to be sent to secondary on your next visit.
C: You can always re-apply for Canadian resdiency in the future. You do not need to do anything right now. When (and if) you are ready, re-apply for PR.

A. Is there any thing I can do, so that if I ever go back to Canada for a vacation, this should NOT happen again.

B. Do I need to get that stupid "geologist" rejection error fixed. It seems to be a typo on their part. But it makes me look like as if I had lied. For heavens sake I worked as an Engineer all my life, I do not even know how to correctly spell geologist. Should I hire a Lawyer to fix this error, or a simple contact with Canadian immigration people can fix it?

C. Actually, besides that rude welcome, I liked rest of my trip. I want to keep my options for residency in Canada open in the long run. Any suggestions?