Background Check

AOS

Registered Users (C)
We had our interview yesterday(family based GC sponsored by US citizen spouse). We got through the interview but officer said that she can not stamp the passport because of not yet receieving clearance on background check..I know many people are stuck in this same issue..does background check differ from name check etc or are these all different names meaning the same thing..I dont want to wait a year before taking action. Any suggestions on what we can do from our side to help expedite this process? Thanks

Background check and the fbi name check are two different things. All in all they do three types of checks: one is the fingerprint check (I think they run your fingerprints through a system to see if it shows a previous arrest or something), two is a background check (kind of like they do at some places when you start a new job - this is done through any of the identity verification companies), and finally an fbi name check (whereby they run your name and date of birth through the fbi list of people who should not be let in). Are you sure the officer said the background check was pending and not the fbi name check?

Thanks for your reply..Yes she said Background check..I am not sure if she meant FBI name check though..she never said anything about FBI..how long does background check alone take? thanks

Fingerprints, IBIS checks, and name checks are all part of the background check CIS performs before approving certain applications.

Your interviewer opted not to be specific when he/she said background check....99.99% of the time it's the name check that's still pending, because the other checks take days maximum.

thanks so much for ur response..

is there anything we can do to expedite the process?

Arrest

if someone was arrested 5 years ago on riding a subway train without paying fare. HE was presented to court and released next on 3 month probation.
He does not have any court documents or details of the events. What should he do and who should contact to get records. This happened in New York
Please give suggestions and information on this issue
thanks

remeron said:
if someone was arrested 5 years ago on riding a subway train without paying fare. HE was presented to court and released next on 3 month probation.
He does not have any court documents or details of the events. What should he do and who should contact to get records. This happened in New York
Please give suggestions and information on this issue
thanks

You must contact the court and get the documents for it. They should have a disposition record or master record and if they do not have anything you need a letter from them saying they do not have a record. Make sure whatever documents you get from them have the seal of the court on it or are certified by the court.

Waiting for BG Check and EAD issue, Pls help

I have the similar situation. After 4 months of our interview and the immigration officer stated our case was approved on Sept 16, I am still waiting for the approval letter to come in the mail for my passport stamp. It seems that I have to wait again to obtain my conditional green card. The LA District Office is currently holding my file and waiting for my background check results. They sent me a letter about this and advise me to contact them if I don't hear anything from them in 6 months. Can somebody tell me if there's a solution to this, meaning to speed up the process? Would asking for attorney's assistance help in this case?

Also, my EAD issued on Aug 15 2005 is going to reach the 6-month mark, when should I start applying for its extension if my case is still pending by then.

Thanks a lot for reading...Jimmy

Road to Green Card:

LADO = Los Angeles District Office
SADO = Santa Ana District Office

Jan 27, 2006 – Still has not received or heard anything from USCIS regarding my approval letter for passport stamp. Went to SADO, informed file transferred to LADO. Went to LADO, was told that my background check remains open.

Sep 26, 2005 - Attended interview at SALO and our case was APPROVED!
Sep 20, 2005 - Received interview letter scheduled on Sep 26, one week from today
Aug 15, 2005 - Went to LADO, picture and FP taken, got my EAD card right away
Aug 09, 2005 - FingerPrint for I-485 Done
Aug 08, 2005 - Went to Support Application Office but it was closed on Monday
July 21, 2005 - Received I-485 FP appointment letter from LADO scheduled on Aug 8
July 20, 2005 - Received EAD appointment letter from LADO scheduled on Aug 15
July 15, 2005 - Called 1800 number and found out my Receipt number with my A#. The officer told me that my application is with California Service Center now. But she didn't see any I-765 application there
July 14, 2005 - Scheduled InfoPass appointment with LADO and I have the A# but the immigration officer told us to go back in 2 weeks because she couldn't locate my file and she has reported this to her supervisor
June 29, 2005 - Scheduled InfoPass appointment with LADO and the immigration officer told us that our package has not been processed yet
April 13, 2005 - Check was cleared
March 28, 2005 - LADO received the package
March 24, 2005 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765 applications to LADO

HTML:
have the similar situation. After 4 months of our interview and the immigration officer stated our case was approved on Sept 16, I am still waiting for the approval letter to come in the mail for my passport stamp. It seems that I have to wait again to obtain my conditional green card. The LA District Office is currently holding my file and waiting for my background check results. They sent me a letter about this and advise me to contact them if I don't hear anything from them in 6 months. Can somebody tell me if there's a solution to this, meaning to speed up the process? Would asking for attorney's assistance help in this case?
It just a matter of good jugment, I got my interview in JUL/2004 the officer said the fbi name check was pending and it will be clear in 12 weeks, so I did not bother to updated my EAD. In October I was kick out from my job because my card was outdated, when to INS and they told me the officer was wrong about the 12 weeks advice.....I still have no received my GC because is still pendin

colonel said:
It just a matter of good jugment, I got my interview in JUL/2004 the officer said the fbi name check was pending and it will be clear in 12 weeks, so I did not bother to updated my EAD. In October I was kick out from my job because my card was outdated, when to INS and they told me the officer was wrong about the 12 weeks advice.....I still have no received my GC because is still pendin

Colonel, why haven't you sued them already? People waiting for less time than you have done it and they got cleared in months. Just start contacting senators and congressmen, and write certified letters to everyone at CIS and FBI etc.....
Then attach proof of your efforts (return receipts and the like...) and file a writ of mandamus...

Beats the waiting :)

we sent letter to Senator , and congressman in the congres, the same answer in both letter, nobody wants to deal with FBI. Now we are writing letters to the FBI and start calling after I sent 2 emails last year without responds.

I got the Mandamus from a couple of members here in the forums, and I talk with my lawyers, she said she is not going to federal courts and promise call me with phone numbers for another lawyers...still waiting... I feel like I am in the end of the rope,

Maybe you should try different Senator and congressman, because there're Senators who have web pages with section of immigration and visa. I think probably some are specially willing to deal with this issue?

colonel said:
we sent letter to Senator , and congressman in the congres, the same answer in both letter, nobody wants to deal with FBI. Now we are writing letters to the FBI and start calling after I sent 2 emails last year without responds.

I got the Mandamus from a couple of members here in the forums, and I talk with my lawyers, she said she is not going to federal courts and promise call me with phone numbers for another lawyers...still waiting... I feel like I am in the end of the rope,