Baby of Canadian Landed Immigrant born outside Canada

maneto

Hello,

I have Canadian landed immigrant status. I passed my citizenship test at the beginning of March 2005(in Windsor) and now waiting to be called for citizneship Oat (4 months no notice to go for a oat yet).

Few months ago I moved to live in USA as a green card holder (my husband is US citizen).

I am pregnant with my first child whic is due at the beginning of Sept.2005 and would like to know if I give birth in USA can the baby be Canadian citizen (and what is the application process) if I am not Canadian (nor US) citizen, but only permanent resident.

I can also deliver in Canada (so the baby is Canadian citizen by birth), but I heard that in order to come back to USA with the baby I need birth certificate - and it takes a long time to get Birth Certificate in Canada.

Please advice and let me know about your experience with timing for:
- wait time from citizenship test to oat
- wait time for Canadian birth certificate of a newborn to be issued
- the pricess for making your child Canadian citizen (if you are only landend immigran when the kid was born).

Thank you in advance.

Maneto,

I don't know what the process is for you to apply for your baby to be a Canadian citizen if she is born in the US, especially since you are not a citizen yet.

However, if you do have your baby in Canada, you can get a document from the hospital along with your other discharge documents, called a "Travel Document". Fancy name, but all it is is a letter on the hospital letterhead, stating that a child (gender of the child will be specified) was born to you (will name you) on such and such date. Along with your own ID, you just show that document at the US border, and they will let you and your baby in without any hassles at all.

I work in the US and live in Canada also, and when we had our baby, we got the same document, and used it many times after the baby was 2 weeks old to go back and forth across the border. Since u'r baby will be a Canadian citizen by birth, they will not have any problem letting her in.

By the way, I would appreciate it, if you would post here when you get your citizenship oath letter - I am also waiting for the letter (my test was in June 2005).

Danwindsor,

My test was on 3 March, 2005 and still I heard nothing from them. As soon as I do I will let you know.

Thank you for the information about having the baby in Canada and crossing the border with no problem. Did you wife deliver in Windsor? Was it long time ago?

Mariana

Mariana, my wife delivered in Windsor in February this year (2005). In fact, we only recently got her birth certificate from the city, and had been using the Travel Document all this while to visit the US - we have lots of family in US (Detroit area), and like to visit them often.

By the way, I also saw other posts from people in Windsor waiting for the oath ceremony. I guess it should be sooner rather than later now...

Dan

Travel document

Dan,

Thank you for your reply. Please let me know how to obtain this Travel document from the hospital. Is this any special document or they are giving it to everyone? Do you need any other document to cross the border and proof baby's citizenship other than this travel letter?

I was told that according to CIC the process for citizenship application (from the date you submitted to the day you are invited to Oat ceremony) is 15-18 months. My 18 months already passed and I am really worried ... so I might have to consider to deliver in Canada ...

Do you know how long after the citizenship test they invite you to Oat in Windsor? We were told to check with Windsor immigration office if we don't hear from them in 3 months, but since March till now are 6 months already and I am still waiting :(

Mariana,

No, you dont need any special documentation or process. All you have do is when you get to the hospital, you let the hospital staff (or the nurse registering you into the hospital) know that you will need a Travel Document when you get discharged. When they prepare all your discharge records, they will give you the Travel Document also at the same time. Believe me, with everything else that goes along with delivering a baby, obtaining the travel document will perhaps be the easiest of tasks - don't worry at all about it... :)

As far as the baby is concerned, all he/she will need to be able to cross the border is the travel document. You will, of course, still have to present your own credentials, but the baby needs nothing else.

About the time its taking for the oath ceremony I guess we are all simply clueless. We will just have to wait for the CIC guys to be rady. However, if your application processing time has already exceeded the max. time indicated by CIC (18 months) then maybe you can call CIC and ask them for the status - maybe they will indicate when they expect the next ceremony to take place..

Dan

Last edited by a moderator: