• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Baby after interview..

nand_lk

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We are expecting a baby and due dates are in End of June. Interview is scheduled in the beginning of May. What should I do?

Will that be a problem to get GC for the baby? Or during interview, can't we mention about the pregnancy and make it easier?

regards,

nand

It would really be a great help if someone can reply please..

will baby born after interview make it difficult to get visa?

regards,

Nand

You do not even need to mention about pregnancy, but you can. Baby can enter without a visa, provided he is traveling with you and that you are traveling on the very immigrant visa you got before the baby was born.
Baby needs to have a passport (or be included into yours) and birth certificate with notarized English translation upon entry to US.
Baby also might need a baby transportation letter (depends on your airline rules, it is not needed for US authorities, for airline only), that you could take at the consulate for $150 (some consulates do not charge anything for it)

according to [1] and [2] it seems okay. The baby doesn't need a visa to enter USA. POE we need to provide valid documents (i.e. long form birth certificate) to get GC for the baby.

Are there anyone to confirm this?

regards,

Nand

[1] bit.ly/9Rblz9
[2] bit.ly/9TfaDb
PS. please copy and paste above URLs into a browser to go to the location. I am not allowed to place URLs since, I have less than 15 posts upto now.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge..
1. The pregnancy results are already indicated in your medical report.
2. for immigration reasons, baby must have his/her own passport and cannot be included in any other passport.
3. some airlines will not accept babies under 3 months to travel for health reasons.

I think, the new born will need visa from your consulate as long as you are still not permanent residents and did not receive your green cards.
I would advise checking with KCC, as a general question, without including your case number. I have posted questions to them anonymously.

hope this helps

You do not even need to mention about pregnancy, but you can. Baby can enter without a visa, provided he is traveling with you and that you are traveling on the very immigrant visa you got before the baby was born.
Baby needs to have a passport (or be included into yours) and birth certificate with notarized English translation upon entry to US.
Baby also might need a baby transportation letter (depends on your airline rules, it is not needed for US authorities, for airline only), that you could take at the consulate for $150 (some consulates do not charge anything for it)

Just saw your comment, thanks raevsky, I really appreciate this.

To the best of my knowledge..
1. The pregnancy results are already indicated in your medical report.
2. for immigration reasons, baby must have his/her own passport and cannot be included in any other passport.
3. some airlines will not accept babies under 3 months to travel for health reasons.

I think, the new born will need visa from your consulate as long as you are still not permanent residents and did not receive your green cards.
I would advise checking with KCC, as a general question, without including your case number. I have posted questions to them anonymously.

hope this helps

Thanks a lot besho.

hmm.. #3 will complicate everything a little bit. I am also selected by a University to do PhD with a scholarship. So I have to be there in August :(
BTW, I know this is against the forum rules, but will mentioning my scholarship lower the chances? (assuming scholarship is under a burden to the US general public)

regards,

Nand.

Only cash welfare and some long-term medicare/mediaid are categorized under public charge.
I see no harm in mentioning your scholarship as long as you are qualified to work and intend to look for a job in parallel to your studies. I personally think this as a plus to you.. just like winning the mega-million lottery.

good luck and pls keep us posted with the results.

Thanks a lot besho.

hmm.. #3 will complicate everything a little bit. I am also selected by a University to do PhD with a scholarship. So I have to be there in August :(
BTW, I know this is against the forum rules, but will mentioning my scholarship lower the chances? (assuming scholarship is under a burden to the US general public)

regards,

Nand.

A scholarship means you don't have to pay for tuition or less, so it means you need less money which is a good thing.
be sponsored when you become citizens in 5 years and up to that date the baby needs a visa. When you are approved the process ends and not even one day later will they add any person to your GC application....either you psotpone the interview date with all the risk involved, and apply for the baby as well or you get visa for the baby. if the baby is staying year round in the USA with no visa it means the baby will be an illegal alien...or you can go to the USA and have the baby born over there so the baby will be a US citizen but the chances are big that no air line will allow your wife on a plane after 6 month of being pregnant...

The government can't provide a GC for an unborn since they don't know the out come of the delivery and up to the day the baby is born.....any one involved knows the out come....no GC ever is given to a fetus or unborn...

I'm sorry but I understand this is not what you want to hear.....

I've seen this advice (except for the bolded part) given to others here before and I believe it's the right one. Do some searching to see what the outcome was. Good Luck.

Only cash welfare and some long-term medicare/mediaid are categorized under public charge.
I see no harm in mentioning your scholarship as long as you are qualified to work and intend to look for a job in parallel to your studies. I personally think this as a plus to you.. just like winning the mega-million lottery.

good luck and pls keep us posted with the results.

Yeah I am an engineer with 7 years experience. However, not sure I'll be able to work while doing my PhD, since it is fulltime. Are they expecting me to work soon as I receive GC?

If I succeed, I do feel like winning a mega-million lottery. Thanks a lot, I will keep everyone posted with results.

regards,

Nand

I think that you might be required to show that you are able to finance yourself and family in the States by means of finding a job. Hence, the education/work experience requirements. I read somewhere that language difficulty might also be a reason to disqualify candidates if it was determined as an obstacle towards finding employment.

However, officers usually consider many factors before suspecting public charge including: Age, education, work experience, health, assets and family/relatives settled near by.

I wish you best of luck to you nand_lk and to your family.

I am an engineer too, my wife is pregnant as well, my interview is scheduled in early May and I love to win the mega-million jackpot too.

Out of interest, what field of engineering are you doing your PHD? where are you from?

I want everyone to know, everything went smoothly. I have received green cards for me, wife and baby.

Important points, if some one face the similar issue.

* DO NOT POSTPONE THE INTERVIEW TILL THE BABY IS BORN!!! THAT'LL REDUCE YOUR CHANCES. When I was given the option from the embassy, I told them I won't postpone.
* Baby does not need a visa. He can get it at POE. (Remember this is true only if baby is born after the interview - See the topic of this thread)
* Take a baby transportation letter or something similar from the embassy. That is for the Airline. They won't let you take the baby if you don't have that.
* Get a separate passport for the baby. Do not include your baby in the mother's passport. That'll help POE people :). In my case, baby was in mom's passport, and they were not happy.

All the best!

regards,

Nand

Hi,

We are expecting a baby and due dates are in End of June. Interview is scheduled in the beginning of May. What should I do?

Will that be a problem to get GC for the baby? Or during interview, can't we mention about the pregnancy and make it easier?

regards,

nand

Hi! Do not worry about this! All you need to do is to bring your baby in the US 2 years after it is born. Because you will be a GC holder, your baby will get a GC automatically when you enter within 2 years.
There are threads about this if you go to the forum entitled: "Life After GC"
Hope this helps!