B2 to K3 or CR1 which is the best,i need an urgent advice!!!

honesttt

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,
I am new to this forum,and i have read lots of comments on here and i really think it does help,please i need a very important advise has to know the right step to take. I just finished my graduate studies in Amsterdam,Nehterlands,and while i was doing my graduate program,i went to The US for some few months where i met my wife,while i was there we started dating and soon we got engaged,and i had to come back to Amsterdam, in Nov'08 i applied for a B1/B2 visa to see my wife ,and when i was at the US embassy in Amsterdam,the consular asked what i was going to US to do,and i told him that am going to visit my fiancee,and he gave me the B1/B2 visa and made an anotation on it that the fiancee of a US citizen, and soon after i got to US we decided to get married,but now am back in Amsterdam,but it was so hard to leave my wife,and am thinkng of going back to the US.
Someone told me that i should get back to US and apply for change of status,but i was thinking this is really not the best thing to do,so please what do you guys think is the best step to take?

Please your urgent advise is needed.

Thanks.

Just like I advised in the B and E visas thread..... Please DO NOT enter the US on a tourist visa with the intention to adjust status and stay. This is not what a tourist visa is intended for. To do what your friend suggested (go over on a tourist visa with an intent to adjust status) is classed as immigration FRAUD!! Doing this can land you in a lot of trouble and you could end up with a lifetime bar from the US.
Instead, get your wife to file for an immigrant visa for you. This is the legal way to do!! I know, its tough being away from your significant other through out the visa process, but thats just the way it is. I had to be separated from my significant other for 11 months, but knowing that I was doing things the legal way without jeopardizing our future and getting a ban from the states made it all worth the while. Of course you can visit your wife throughout the visa process, so its not like you are going to be completely separated during the whole application.
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/in...age=i130guide1

Thanks a lot and to be honest,i know that going there to adjust my status is not the right option for me and i am going to do the right thing,i would like to ask which option did you take was it the KIor IR1/CR1?

Thanks.

As I was unmarried, I came over on a K1 (a fiance visa).
As you are married then the only options you have are the spousal visas which are either the CR1/IR1 or the K3. The K3 is pretty much a waste of time and involves a lot more paperwork, time and money, therefore the CR1/IR1 immigrant visa is definitely the way forward :)

I really appreciate your kind reply and i would like to ask as we are preparing to file in for CR1,what documents do you think we really need and what is the likely minimum time line that we should be expecting?

Thanks.

more help

hi elcu,
a) the link does not work.
b) what visa is the best for me to aply for? i have read your detailed but i have read your detailed comments but cannot make up my mind.
so should i ask her to come to Anakra, Turkey to get married and then I apply for CR1 ....or she comes to Turkey anyway but i do not get married and instead apply for K-1? I do not care much about a few months shorter or longer because im serious about getting married everything done legally.

if i get married in Turkey, what documents would i need to file? you and others may post your replies here or to my private message box. i do not care. again the link you swentme does not work. Thanks everyone for all your help. amir

Hopefully this link will work
http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=i130guide1

This I believe is the better visa, though it requires that you do get married first before it is filed. The link details all the documents that you spouse will need to file for you.

The reason why I say this is the better visa is because even though it will take a few months longer than a K1, as soon as you enter the US on this visa you will automatically become a permanent resident and will be work authorized from day 1. If you go the K1 route, then after you enter the US, you get married and file for Adjustment of Status (permanent residence) which takes approx 8 months to receive (and costs $1010) and you will have to wait round about 60-90 days for work authorisation after you have filed.

Thats just my 2 cents, though the ultimate decision will be down to you and your partner as both options are open to you at the moment.

Oh- and if for some reason the link doesnt work again, just go to visajourney.com, then along the top in a blue tab click 'guides'....on that page on the left hand side select 'CR-1/IR-1 Visa and I-130 Petition Guide' and that will take you directly to the page that the link is meant to take you.