B1 to L1 transfer - Is it possible?

btn

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:
I have an interesting situation; I appreciate any inputs or thoughts you might have to my questions.

I entered US on B1 visa last week. There is a possibility that I will be offered a position with my company in the US office to stay here and work. My B1 status is only for 3 months as stamped on the I94 card. What are the possibilities for me to accept the position in the US office to work here?

1. Can my company file for a L1 petition on my behalf, while I am here on B1? If yes, how soon can this be submitted after my arrival in the US.
2. How long will it take for L1 petition to be approved? I think this will have to be submitted to California Service Center.
3. If L1 approval does not arrive before my B1 status expires, can I continue to stay in the US and work for my company based on a pending L1 petition.
4. After obtaining the L1 approval, can I continue to stay in the US and work or is it mandatory to leave the country and apply for L1 Visa at a consular post and reenter the country with new L1 Visa.
5. While L1 petition is pending, can I leave the US for a week or two and come back on B1 visa and continue working on B1 for my company until such time as L1 is approved.

Thanks for your responses…

BTN

A1: An L-1 petition may be submitted anytime. It has no connection to your presence in the US.
A2: No one can speculate how long the approval may take.
A3: No you cannot continue to work. You should not even start working until the L-1 petition is approved AND you have either undergone COS or have re-entered with an L-1 visa.
A4: Either undergo COS or re-enter with an L-1 visa.
A5: You cannot even START to work under B-1, so there is no point talking about CONTINUING to work for them while the L-1 is in the works.