B1 to F1

Bishal

Hello

I have a question regarding changing of Status to F1 from B1. I did go to University to submit the application for admission. I did ask the admission people about change of status to F1. but they asked me to go tho Internations Student Office.
I did visit ISO and wanted to talk to international advisor, but the lady at the reception didnot let me talk to advisor.

Now here is my concern:

If i get the I20 from school do i have to leave the country and apply for visa in my native country or is there any possibility of me to file change of status being here.

I am really worried about this. Can anyone suggest what can be done. Your suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Change of Status - B2 Visitor to F1 Student

Change of Status - B2 Visitor to F1 Student
A nonimmigrant B-2 visitor for pleasure may wish to change to F-1 student status in various sets of circumstances:
1. The student has a B-2 Visa bearing the notation "prospective student". Consular officers are authorized to write "prospective student" on a B-2 Visa issued to a person who has been admitted to a particular school and has a Form I-20 from that school, but intends to enter the United States more than 90 days before classes begin; intends to become a student but has not yet chosen a school in the United States and wishes to visit more than one school before making a selection; needs to be in the U.S. to take an examination or have an interview that is required for admission to a school; or has credible evidence of admission to a U.S. school but does not have a Form I-20. A person with a B-2 Visa marked "prospective student" should routinely be able to obtain a change to F-1 status.
2. Conditions in the preceding paragraph may apply, but the consular officer has neglected to write "prospective student" on the B-2 visa.
3. The student entered the U.S. in B-2 status and, after arriving in the country, decided to attend school, applied to a school, and was admitted and obtained a Form I-20.
4. While outside the U.S. the student believed that he or she would encounter difficulty in securing an F-1 visa from a consular officer, obtained a B-2 visa, and entered the country intending to apply to change to F-1 status once in the U.S.
Individuals in categories 1, 2, and 3 should be able to change to F-1 status, although those in categories 2 and 3 may have difficulty. Such individuals must provide whatever information or evidence available to support their contention that they are entitled to change to F-1 status. Individuals in the fourth category will be denied a change of status because they have misrepresented their purpose in seeking admission to the United States by failing to reveal their intention to study when applying for a visa when entering the country. Such individuals should consider leaving the United States temporarily, obtaining an F-1 visa at a consular office, and reentering the country in F-1 status.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Your request for change of status to the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS, formerly INS) should consist of the following:
1. Completed Form I-539 with $195.00 fee (check or money order made payable to BCIS).
2. Photocopy of both sides of Form I-94 (I-94 forms of dependents also) and original Form I-20.
3. Photocopy of the data pages in your passport (dependents' also).
4. Financial verification.
5. If "prospective student" is not stamped on your B-2 Visa, include a letter explaining why you are entitled to change to F-1 status.
Make an appointment with an adviser in OISS to review the above documents and then send by certified mail with return receipt to your service center:
for example:
U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Service
Northern Service Center
P.O. Box 87539
Lincoln, Nebraska 68501-7539

Note: It may take up to six months to get a response from BCIS. If you have not received an answer after 6 months from the date the application was received, make an appointment with an adviser in OISS. The adviser will follow-up on your application.

As far as I know, it's a bad idea to change from B-visa to F-visa within US. If at all allowed [I recall some rules changed about this after 9/11], you may have problems later.

See various postings here of people who converted from B-to-F running into trouble later.

If you have a solid F-case (ie, funding from school) and you can show nonimmigrant intent (ie, ties to home country), maybe you're better off going back to your home country and applying for a F visa.

I'm assuming you didn't enter with a B-visa with the "prospective student" annotation. If you did have it, then I think you're fine changing from B to F.

~T

This is what BCIS says (from April 1st 2002)

New Requirements for Change of Status
Individuals planning to attend school in the United States are expected to obtain the proper student visa prior to their admission to the United States. However, INS does recognize that some intending students will want to visit the United States first for bona fide visitor purposes, such as touring campuses or interviewing for admission. The proposed rule will establish new requirements for B non-immigrant visitor visa holders who wish to become students. Persons admitted under B non-immigrant visitor status will still be able to change their status to that of a student, but only if they stated their intent to study in the United States when they initially applied for admission and presented any I-20 forms they may have been issued. Inspectors will be required to note that the alien is a prospective student and make the proper notation on the alien's I-94 form (Arrival/Departure Record). This rule will impact only those students admitted in B status after the rule’s effective date.

when you applied for b1 to f1 untill it will be decided , you arent illegal even you overstay the time of i-94 isnt it ?

I am currently in the US now for almost 5 months already. I want to study here in the US and was wondering when is the latest I could apply for a change in status. I was told that I should receive a receipt from the USCIS after I send my application for a change in status. This receipt would allow me to stay here while my case is pending.

How long does it usually take before I receive this receipt? I am afraid that if I only apply now, I might end up overstaying while waiting for the receipt.

Thanks!