• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

B-1 visa overstay

matt222

Hi friends we been selected for dv2014, CN EU00010XXX... few years ago I overstayed my US B-1visa for 2 DAYS only by mistake( long story:)).. I didnt know that... next time i went for holidays to US again, my visa was cancelled cos of overstay but I was permited to withdrawn my application for admission.
can we be succesfull in interwiew? any similiar stories? Thanks

3 year ban is if you overstay 180 days or more but less than a year. Less than that is visa void only. Anyway it was 4 years ago

3 year ban is if you overstay 180 days or more but less than a year. Less than that is visa void only. Anyway it was 4 years ago

well, nothing to worry. by the way, visa void, what does that mean? On visa weaver, you won't be able to use the weaver anymore but no ban, so the dv is ok.
But you are unlucky, many times they do not even know you left... I left to Canada and no one checked our status in the us... neither the us agent at the airport nor the canadian custom... the us agent only checked if the passport was valid or not

Last edited by a moderator:
Any overstay would basically get your visa cancelled, but there's no other penalty until you overstay longer than 180 days. You should be fine as long as you don't lie on your application.

Hi friends we been selected for dv2014, CN EU00010XXX... few years ago I overstayed my US B-1visa for 2 DAYS only by mistake( long story:)).. I didnt know that... next time i went for holidays to US again, my visa was cancelled cos of overstay but I was permited to withdrawn my application for admission.
can we be succesfull in interwiew? any similiar stories? Thanks

I overstayed 10 days after the I-94 expired a few years ago. I just didn't pay attention and wasn't even aware of the existence of a date on the I-94. I was in Montréal airport. I told them exactly what happened, they checked a moment I don't know what on their computer and that's it. My visa wasn't canceled. I traveled after without problem or question.
I received the green card this year.

I-94 Overstayed for more than 180 days - Can I go back now (ten years later)?

Hi there, I overstayed my I-94 tourism visa (I don't remember the validity of it at the time), that was from may/1999 to nov/2002 (when I left back home), never got "caught" on anything wrong, even though I did some working, owned a car and a bank account. Now, over 10 years later, well employed, paying mortgage, married, I even was approved for a new B1/B2 visa at the local US embassy (Rio de Janeiro – Brazil) recently; I´d like to go back for vacation with the wife. Is there any way to make sure I won’t have problems on my way in? I am very concerned about this, she doesn't know I was an illegal in the past (her family is somewhat snob).
I am trying to remember if I had my fingerprints scanned on the entrance, but that was too long ago. Thanks in advance, sorry if this was posted in the wrong place in the forum.

The fact that you now have a valid B1/B2 again means you should be ok, assuming you were being truthful in your visa application.

The fact that you now have a valid B1/B2 again means you should be ok, assuming you were being truthful in your visa application.

I did not lie, but then again, for the Interview I had many documents showing means and they didn't ask anything major. Also, the forms I had to fill had questions regarding drugs, terrorism, threats and serious stuff like that, but didn't ask "if I overstayed a I-94 visa before"...

I am afraid they would ask that on the occasion of a interview. I know I should tell the truth, but the so called 10 year ban, is it only valid after it's triggered? In that case, 10 years now that I'll try to re-enter?

Thanks.

Hi Celoc,

Were you able to enter the US without any problem?

Did you mention about your overstay in ur visa application or at the interview/port of entry?

I am in a similar situation and looking for advice.

Thanks in advance ,
java

The visa application form (DS-160) asks if one has ever overstayed or had an unlawful presence in the country.