1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Obama's LEGAL immigration reform.

What does it mean? Listen to November 21 conference call recording. Subscribe to Our YouTube channel to be notified as soon as the recording is posted.

B-1 Visa for attending conference ?

Discussion in 'Physicians' started by medicogal, Aug 2, 2007.

1. medicogal

medicogal New Member

I am a MBBS doctor, also holding a M.Tech degree from IIT in genetics. Currently I am employed at a small organization as a general practitioner. I am pursuing my research interest as I want to study medical genetics. I am also preparing for USMLE. I have registered myself for a genetics conference at US but I will not be presenting a paper or poster.

This conference is going to last for 5 days. I am thinking to apply for US Visa under B-1 category.

I want to know what are the chances for me get a visa for conference as I am not actively participating. what are the required documents?

If my visa get rejected, is this going to affect me when I will going for visa interview for step 2 CS exam? I am too confused about going for visa interview for conference. This will be my first visit to Delhi consulate. please help.........

Thanks in advance

2. hadron

hadron Registered Users (C)

A B1 would be the correct visa to attend a conference. Check out their website. Often they have a link with an 'invitation letter' pointing out what the conference is about and how long it is going to last. You don't have to present at a conference in order to get a visa. Attending a conference is an entirely valid 'business reason' to come to the US.

Just please, please, don't do one thing: Come for the conference and then stay for 6 months to interview for residency positions. The goverment doesn't take kindly to these kind of stories.