Automatic Revalidation & Special Registration (NSEERS)

alex2d2

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to go to Canada for 3 days by car. I changed my status to H-1B last year and before that I was on a F-1. I was subject to the special registration because of my country of citizenship in 2003 during the registration drive. So I understand that when I leave I have to go through special registration departure procedures (which basically means I have stop on the US side of the bridge and let CBP know that I am exiting the US).

Now my problem is my need to use automatic revalidation. My country is not a state sponsor of terror, so technically I can use it. But I have read at some college (international student services) websites that people who where subject to NSEERS are not recommended to use automatic revalidation and they might be denied entry (but I have yet to read a single case of someone denied entry at a POE!). But this is not official (it's their "recommendation") and I've found other websites (i.e. http://www.oiss.msu.edu/students_travel_autorevalid.php) that clearly say that I am eligible for automatic revalidation even though I have to through special registration procedures during departure. Any comments?

Also, since I have multiple I-20s and two I-94s (original and the one that came with my H-1B approval) which one do I show to special registration or when I re-enter the U.S.? Does special registration require that I surrender my old F-1 I-94? I am confused... I just don't want to take a risk!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - I am in some what similar situation.
I need to travel to Canada for a few days.
and i need to use AVR .. I also need to do special NSEERS registration.
Where you able to make it back fine?