Automatic Revalidation of visa

TinaG

Registered Users (C)
Folks

Can any body tell me the details regarding the automatic revalidation rule?
My visa status in USA is H1 and my current I-797 expires in May 2007.My H1 visa on passport has expired long back in 2005.I'm going to Canada this weekend and coming back to USA in 2 days. Is there any link in USCIS site for this?

Per my understanding, I need these following documents

-Current Original I-797

-Reference letter from the company saying I'm working there

-Current I-94 (Which comes attached along with the I-797)

Please let me know If I need anything else.

Thanks

TinaG said:
Folks

My visa status in USA is H1 and my current I-797 expires in May 2007.My H1 visa on passport has expired long back in 2005.I'm going to Canada this weekend and coming back to USA in 2 days. Is there any link in USCIS site for this?

-Current Original I-797

Thanks
Have you taken appointment with American consulate in Canada?

TinaG said:
Folks

-Current Original I-797

Thanks

Right you need to have an appointment first.

The most important which is missing in your list is I-129 copy of the petition which was filed by employer and copy of LCA.

Recent paystabs, w2 and previous old visa stamp in pasport

No appointment is necessary. S/he is going to Canada and comming back with AUTOMATIC REVALIDATION.
I'd bring passport as well as old I-94 too, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is Automatic Revalidation??....is this a new rule.....from what i know.....anytime you go out of USA.....you need a valid visa in your passport or a Advance Parol

techy2468 said:
what is Automatic Revalidation??....is this a new rule.....from what i know.....anytime you go out of USA.....you need a valid visa in your passport or a Advance Parol
Good question...

If you are going out of the country for less than certain period of time(2 weeks), in contiguous countries i.e Mexico and Canada, you don't have to surrender the I94 and don't have to get a visa to come back. They'll let you travel on the basis of your approved petition(which has I94 in it). On the other hand, if you surrender the I94, you'll not be able to come back with approval only, you'll need to go to the consulate at Toronto, Ottawa, Vancouver et. to get a visa stamp. The consulates have a long visa appt time and you have to make reservation online at http://www.nvars.com/

Hope that helps
Sincerely

techy2468 said:
here explains some about automatic revalidation. Just read SUMMARY part.
This rule can be used by most of the people, however, citizen from the certain nation(I thought there were 5, or 6 nations not qualified for this) can not use it. So, check which nationality you have before you try automatic revalidation.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegrams/telegrams_1441.html

Last edited by a moderator: