Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Your timeline seems so fast.
When you filed your N-400, did you already reach your 5 years or 3 years(if married to a US citizen) or did you apply 90 days before you reached your 5year /3 year mark?
Did you have any trips abroad prior to your application?

is it 90 calender days or business days?

I think the time frame is about right. It used to be that FBI name check used to take months and years, but now it does not take long anymore with no criminal background, no travel outside the US while resident, and I did apply exactly 90 days before I reach the 3 years mark.

Is the USCIS open everyday? What time do they usually open? My FP appt is on the 6th but I want to walk in so I can get this over with as soon as possible.

Check the link posted in earlier posting by Bobsmyth. They are open Tues to Sat. As I had mentioned earlier their business is slow and they may let you walk in earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the link posted in earlier posting by Bobsmyth. They are open Tues to Sat. As I had mentioned earlier their business is slow and they may let you walk in earlier.

Fingerprinting done today finally. I came in around 2pm, as walk in, and I'm the only person they had for fingerprinting- they were all accommodating as there's nobody else on the line. NO wait at all.. Never thought that my trip would be longer than the actual fingerprinting itself which only took 5 minutes.
Now my wait for interview letter begins. Hopefully there will be no more problems except for my 6 trips abroad in the last 5 years, totalling 310 days (longest trip was 145 days and shortest was 8 days). I'll keep everybody posted.:)

Did walk in FP today. Not a lot of people in front of me. Officer looked at the notice and didnt even ask why I was doing it a day earlier.

Finally, I have the interview on Monday (Jan 12) morning. :)

For the benefit of everybody here in this forum who are waiting for interview:

Can you tell us about your profile?
How come it take you so long to have an interview?
Did you apply based on 3 years (marriage to a US citizen) or 5 years?
Any travel outside US during the last 3 or 5 years?

For the benefit of everybody here in this forum who are waiting for interview:

Can you tell us about your profile?
How come it take you so long to have an interview?
Did you apply based on 3 years (marriage to a US citizen) or 5 years?
Any travel outside US during the last 3 or 5 years?

I applied after 5 years along with my wife at Texas service center (Atlanta DO). My wife got approved in 4 months and became a citizen in Sept 07.

I was stuck in name check for a while. Finally, my Senator's office told me that my name check cleared in July 08. When nothing happened after that, I went to an InfoPass appointment in early September where the IO noticed that my fingerprints were about to expire. So she put in a request for re-fingerprinting.

I did the fingerprints again on October 1. And got the interview letter in mid-December.

Today, I went to the interview which was quick (15 minutes). The interviewer just went over my application asking if anything had changed, asked me the history questions and a very simple sentence to read and write. Then she asked if I wanted to do the oath the same day.

I had to wait for about 45 minutes in the waiting area to get the oath letter. But I was done by 10:45.

I went back for oath at 2pm. There were 110 people taking the oath and they came from 44 countries.

By 2:45pm, I was out as a newly minted citizen. So I called the post office and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to apply for a passport.

As for travel, I have a vacation trip abroad about once a year of 1-2 weeks. Nothing extraordinary and exactly the same as my wife who got approved real fast.

Finally, I have a question: The naturalization certificate says that I have to sign it with my "complete and true signature". What does that mean? Do I have to write my full name in cursive, even though it's different from my usual signature (which is what I signed on the photograph)?

I applied after 5 years along with my wife at Texas service center (Atlanta DO). My wife got approved in 4 months and became a citizen in Sept 07.

I was stuck in name check for a while. Finally, my Senator's office told me that my name check cleared in July 08. When nothing happened after that, I went to an InfoPass appointment in early September where the IO noticed that my fingerprints were about to expire. So she put in a request for re-fingerprinting.

I did the fingerprints again on October 1. And got the interview letter in mid-December.

Today, I went to the interview which was quick (15 minutes). The interviewer just went over my application asking if anything had changed, asked me the history questions and a very simple sentence to read and write. Then she asked if I wanted to do the oath the same day.

I had to wait for about 45 minutes in the waiting area to get the oath letter. But I was done by 10:45.

I went back for oath at 2pm. There were 110 people taking the oath and they came from 44 countries.

By 2:45pm, I was out as a newly minted citizen. So I called the post office and scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to apply for a passport.

As for travel, I have a vacation trip abroad about once a year of 1-2 weeks. Nothing extraordinary and exactly the same as my wife who got approved real fast.

Finally, I have a question: The naturalization certificate says that I have to sign it with my "complete and true signature". What does that mean? Do I have to write my full name in cursive, even though it's different from my usual signature (which is what I signed on the photograph)?
Congratulations!

Interview Letter Received.

I recieved my Interview letter today. The interview is scheduled to be on 13 FEB 09 at 1:45 PM.

Does any one know If I can take the oath on the same day?.
If NOT then when would be the earliest date?.
Will they hand-out the Oath letter on the same day or should I have to wait to get it in the mail ?.

My wife's interview is on the 9th of Feb in the morning and most likely she will be able to take oath on the same day.

What if I try to make an infopass and try to reschedule it. Will I be able to get an earlier time or scheduled on the day my wife scheduled for the interview.

The problem is that, Atlanta is about 4 hours drive from where I live -one way. And I am trying to avoid multiple trips, as I am a bit tight with the work schedule in FEB.

interview on Feb 26th

sent n400 application : 11/18/08
Fingerprint appt : 12/12/08
Recv interview letter : 1/20/09
interview scheduled : 2/26/08

My wife & self got same day appt around 10am.
Will see when the oath happens. I have seen ATL people having oath in same day.

my time line is same as many others on this post.

Cheers!

Does someone has this experience, any help would appreciated.

After 1.5 years I had my name and background done, also got my 2nd FP done. Scheduled for Interview At Atlanta DO on Jan-12,09. The interview completed fine and I passed the test and all application was done fine. I signed the application and pictures and then officer tells me that he has to verify/check some things which should have done before the scheduling of the interview. He gives the N-652 with "passed check" but checks the "A decision cannot yet be made" . He also tells that if everything is fine I should get a letter for Oath.
I am not sure what kind of checks he wants to do now.

I recieved my Interview letter today. The interview is scheduled to be on 13 FEB 09 at 1:45 PM.

Does any one know If I can take the oath on the same day?.
If NOT then when would be the earliest date?.
Will they hand-out the Oath letter on the same day or should I have to wait to get it in the mail ?.

My wife's interview is on the 9th of Feb in the morning and most likely she will be able to take oath on the same day.

What if I try to make an infopass and try to reschedule it. Will I be able to get an earlier time or scheduled on the day my wife scheduled for the interview.

The problem is that, Atlanta is about 4 hours drive from where I live -one way. And I am trying to avoid multiple trips, as I am a bit tight with the work schedule in FEB.

I had my interview at 1:25pm, and there's no chance you'll get your oath the same day. As for the earliest date, I'm probably not the best person to ask - I had an overseas trip planned for the following week, so there would be no way to get a passport. As a result, I had to wait for an oath appointment in the mail, which took about three weeks. Finally did the oath six weeks after the interview.

If I remember correctly, the interviewer did mention the possibility of next day or Saturday oath, so it's possible you'll get lucky. (EDIT: That would mean you'd get the oath appointment same day, although mine came in the mail; again, not the best person to ask)

BTW: I doubt you could get it moved earlier - you might have better luck getting the interviews scheduled later for you and your wife...just a thought.

Hope that helps.

Thank you fnm.

I had my interview at 1:25pm, and there's no chance you'll get your oath the same day. As for the earliest date, I'm probably not the best person to ask - I had an overseas trip planned for the following week, so there would be no way to get a passport. As a result, I had to wait for an oath appointment in the mail, which took about three weeks. Finally did the oath six weeks after the interview.

If I remember correctly, the interviewer did mention the possibility of next day or Saturday oath, so it's possible you'll get lucky. (EDIT: That would mean you'd get the oath appointment same day, although mine came in the mail; again, not the best person to ask)

BTW: I doubt you could get it moved earlier - you might have better luck getting the interviews scheduled later for you and your wife...just a thought.

Hope that helps.