Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Journey is over today! I'd like to thank you all for contributing to this forum, and I personally found it is a very informative link.

My interview of naturalization was scheduled at 8:05am on June 4, 2007. My husband and I arrived 25 minutes earlier and went thru the security point. The office is located on the 2nd floor. I had to check in first at the counter and was told to sit and wait. At about 8:20am, an officer came out and read out loud my name, then I followed him to his office.

The interview was quite smooth; surprisingly he did not ask me to raise my right hand; instead he started asking basic questions which are from the application form that I sent in. 10 civic questions came later, all of them are quite simple. Studying from the booklet is enough!

Then he asked me to read a sentence loud (I forgot the content, but it was so simple), and asked me write a setence in English after hearing him say it. Finally he congratulated me for passing the test and interview, and I was asked if able to stay for the 11am ceremony. After waiting for 40 minutes in the hall, a lady came out with a bunch of papers in her hand, mine was included. The ceremony started right at 11am as scheduled, a cheif officer congratulated us and a lady assistant answered some questions. We went thru the welcome movie from the President and did the oath.

There were 38 people from 22 different countries at 11am ceremony.

The process was fast and officers very friendly and professional. I wish everyone good luck!
Congratulaions Ceci88.
In fact, it may have been you that was sitting next to my wife during the oath ceremony.

Congratulaions Ceci88.
In fact, it may have been you that was sitting next to my wife during the oath ceremony.

Same thing to you and your wife too. Have you applied for passport yet? Please remember to update your status at the local social security bureau.

Same thing to you and your wife too. Have you applied for passport yet? Please remember to update your status at the local social security bureau.
We both applied for our passports on Last Tuesday (6/5) and got those today (6/12), using a rush passport service. Still need to update the SSN records though.

Passport

We both applied for our passports on Last Tuesday (6/5) and got those today (6/12), using a rush passport service. Still need to update the SSN records though.

Hello atlanta001,
Could you please tell me how to make US passport in few days. Who did you contact to expedite your passport process. What's the number to call and what's the fees ?
Thank you.

Anyone got an interview letter lately?

Hello,

My PD is April 6, 07. FP was completed on 5/15.

I haven't heard anything yet. Has anyone else in the same timing recd. an interview letter?

dhebi

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the same boat

I like to get some helps from this forum:

I have filed my N-400 application in April/2006, get my fingerprints done in June/2006.
Now if I check USCIS website, I still see my case is pending.
I like to know if anyone has similar experience and if there is a way to know the reason it is still pending. I saw many posts on this thread indicating the total processing time is less than 6-9 months.

Thank you!

Hello marietta,
JUst FYI, I had filed my N-400 back in April 2006. My FP were done in the second week of May. Thru Info Pass I went to the local office early this week and found out that my FP and NC are cleared. Just waiting for some last check. They told me that once the file gets transferred to the local office, they will schedule my interview. How far are you on your case ? Name check has cleared ? Personally, I will wait for another month and a half for my IL, otherwise I am planning to file a law suit. What about you ?

Interview lette

Hi dhebi111
My husband's FP was done on 5/17 no IL yet. My FP was done on 5/22

Hope we recieve the letter soon.

Thanks
cpgc

Be patient please

Hi dhebi111
My husband's FP was done on 5/17 no IL yet. My FP was done on 5/22

Hope we recieve the letter soon.

Thanks
cpgc

My FP were done in May 2006. It's been over 13 months now and still waiting for my IL. You FP were done last month or last year on May 22nd ? If your hubby's FP were done last month, isn't it a bit early to expect a IL at this stage?

My FP were done in May 2006. It's been over 13 months now and still waiting for my IL. You FP were done last month or last year on May 22nd ? If your hubby's FP were done last month, isn't it a bit early to expect a IL at this stage?

Actually no, its not early to expect an interview letter. If you look at other posts in this forum, you can see complete processing times from application to oath for less than 3 and half months. Atlanta DO is considered by many to be one of the fastest in the country.

In a normal situation

Actually no, its not early to expect an interview letter. If you look at other posts in this forum, you can see complete processing times from application to oath for less than 3 and half months. Atlanta DO is considered by many to be one of the fastest in the country.

dhebi111,

If you got your FP in May, I would give atleast 2-4 months from then. Expecting a IL immeditely next month would be a miracle. I am not saying it can't happen but in a normal situation, one should give atleast couple of months or more. I hope you got my point.

Only wishing

Just looking at some timeline by few our friends I was looking forward for our IL for FP done on 05/17. For FP done on 5/22 I know I need to wait.
I do understand that with INS, it can take any amount of time, we had to wait 5 long years for GC. But one can atleast hope right :)
All the Best.

Thanks
cpgc

Atlanta Brother,

You said you have been waiting for 13 months now. Have you made any inquiries about your status? Are you going through a lawyer or have you applied by yourself?

I guess I too am over the stated timeline. I too am waiting for the IL. Last I checked with them, the local office said they haven't even received my file from the service center yet.

Now here's a question for everyone... I applied for my GC (Permanent Residence) in Detroit, MI. I had received my GC from there but since I've moved to Atlanta and have updated my address with the USCIS and have been receiving confirmation of change of address and all relevant other correspondance at this address. However, my brother was saying that since I received my GC from Michigan, chances are that I should have sent the documents or filed to the appropriate region which handles Detroit, MI. Is that correct? Could the name check be a confusion or issue between different locations? Or, as I think, it is unfortunately because I have a common muslim name (and yes I am muslim) and on top of that hold a Pakistani nationality as such the delay due to extra precautions.

To all those who have been getting their process compeleted within the time frame proposed by USCIS, congratulations! For all others, I feel your pain :(.

Thanks all!

Karachite.

Answer to your questions

Atlanta Brother,

You said you have been waiting for 13 months now. Have you made any inquiries about your status? Are you going through a lawyer or have you applied by yourself?

I guess I too am over the stated timeline. I too am waiting for the IL. Last I checked with them, the local office said they haven't even received my file from the service center yet.

Now here's a question for everyone... I applied for my GC (Permanent Residence) in Detroit, MI. I had received my GC from there but since I've moved to Atlanta and have updated my address with the USCIS and have been receiving confirmation of change of address and all relevant other correspondance at this address. However, my brother was saying that since I received my GC from Michigan, chances are that I should have sent the documents or filed to the appropriate region which handles Detroit, MI. Is that correct? Could the name check be a confusion or issue between different locations? Or, as I think, it is unfortunately because I have a common muslim name (and yes I am muslim) and on top of that hold a Pakistani nationality as such the delay due to extra precautions.

To all those who have been getting their process compeleted within the time frame proposed by USCIS, congratulations! For all others, I feel your pain :(.

Thanks all!

Karachite.

Assalam o alaikum and Hello Karachite,

Good to read your note. First let me answer some of your questions. Yes, I have made inquiries on my file. I have called 800 cust service number on several occasions and then I hired this local attorney Layli Eskandari (Irani lawyer) who did nothing but made inquiries on my behalf and told me that my file is still pending and I need to wait. Nothing that she could do to further help. It was just waste of money to hire her. I would not recommend anybody to her. I am leaving for Pakistan in the first week of July and after I get back in the last week of July and even then if I don't see my interview call or letter in the mail, I plan on retaining this awesome attorney to file mandamus 1447B on my behalf and get me the decision in 60 days. I am not going to wait, wait & wwait forever on this. I like to close this citizenship chapter in the next few weeks to be honest with you.
Karachite if you went to the local office (via InfoPass) and they verified your current address in Atlanta and that looks right to you, I wouldn't worry. I know a friend who moved from NJ to GA and his case was delayed coz of all this change of address and nonsense. But since you got your GC in MI and now you've lived in GA for quite sometime now and you have applied N-400 right from scratch, you should be fine. Check out this link, you will find it interesting.
http://dawn.com/2007/06/16/int6.htm
If you think you have waited enough, I would hire a good attorney and if you need assistance, please don't hesitate to drop me a line.
Good luck to you too and looking fwd to hear more from you :)

I understand

Just looking at some timeline by few our friends I was looking forward for our IL for FP done on 05/17. For FP done on 5/22 I know I need to wait.
I do understand that with INS, it can take any amount of time, we had to wait 5 long years for GC. But one can atleast hope right :)
All the Best.

Thanks
cpgc

Hi cpgc,

First of all my appologies to you if I at any point sounded as if I was discouraging you. You will find this interesting. I wanted to share this with you. It took me maximum of 7 or 8 months start to finish to get my GC. Isn't this unbelievable. I find myself very fortunate that my GC was processed so fast and I was hoping that my naturalization process will go thru pretty quick and my experience will be a piece of cake. Now look at me, I have been waiting, waiting and waiting for my IO. In short we should hope for the best but at the sametime we should all have high patience and low expectations especially with these day to day N-400 issues.

Atlanta Brother,

WAS!

Thank you for the information. Funny thing is that like you, my GC was completed in less than 10 months (applied end of 2000 and got it in Oct 2001 and that too after delaying my interview twice as I was on a project and I couldn't take time off to go back to Michigan). I applied N-400 in Oct'06 and the FP was done in less than a month time frame. Ever since then it has become stagnant. Fortunately I haven't been waiting as long as you have but I don't want to wait that long either. Let me know which lawyer you plan on using if you don't mind. I will definitely give him/her a call. Have a safe trip to Pakistan and I hope you get your interview call soon.

JK
Karachite.

Got my Interview Letter

I recieved my interview letter yesterday :D

I have some questions - if anyone and all could help me answer I'd be most grateful

1.The letter states "Request for Applicant to Appear for Initial Interview".....I'm worried about the word 'Initial"...is this normal, or does it mean that I might need to have more than one interview ???

2. My appointment is @ 10 am - will I be able to take Oath the same day (it's at the Atlanta Office on Parklake Drive)

3. If all is well - when you file for a passport - do you have to fold the certificate to mail passport application, or do you have to enclose it in a special envelope?

4. How long is it taking to get a passport (I'll expedite and pay the rush delivery fee)

Any help is much appreciated

thanks
Mark

Journey is over today! I'd like to thank you all for contributing to this forum, and I personally found it is a very informative link.

My interview of naturalization was scheduled at 8:05am on June 4, 2007. My husband and I arrived 25 minutes earlier and went thru the security point. The office is located on the 2nd floor. I had to check in first at the counter and was told to sit and wait. At about 8:20am, an officer came out and read out loud my name, then I followed him to his office.

The interview was quite smooth; surprisingly he did not ask me to raise my right hand; instead he started asking basic questions which are from the application form that I sent in. 10 civic questions came later, all of them are quite simple. Studying from the booklet is enough!

Then he asked me to read a sentence loud (I forgot the content, but it was so simple), and asked me write a setence in English after hearing him say it. Finally he congratulated me for passing the test and interview, and I was asked if able to stay for the 11am ceremony. After waiting for 40 minutes in the hall, a lady came out with a bunch of papers in her hand, mine was included. The ceremony started right at 11am as scheduled, a cheif officer congratulated us and a lady assistant answered some questions. We went thru the welcome movie from the President and did the oath.

There were 38 people from 22 different countries at 11am ceremony.

The process was fast and officers very friendly and professional. I wish everyone good luck!

You're in good shape

I recieved my interview letter yesterday :D

I have some questions - if anyone and all could help me answer I'd be most grateful

1.The letter states "Request for Applicant to Appear for Initial Interview".....I'm worried about the word 'Initial"...is this normal, or does it mean that I might need to have more than one interview ???

2. My appointment is @ 10 am - will I be able to take Oath the same day (it's at the Atlanta Office on Parklake Drive)

3. If all is well - when you file for a passport - do you have to fold the certificate to mail passport application, or do you have to enclose it in a special envelope?

4. How long is it taking to get a passport (I'll expedite and pay the rush delivery fee)

Any help is much appreciated

thanks
Mark

Hi Mark,

Congrats on your interview letter :)

Here are answers to your very simple questions:

1) Request for Applicant to Appear for Initial Interview" should not panic or worry you because everybody gets to read the same statement in their interview letter. When I got my IL back in Jan, I was freaked out for a second but when I called 5 of my different friends in different states, they all convinced me that Initial Interview is the term that USCIS uses.
2)Your appt at 10am gives me a good idea that you should be able to take the oath the very same day.
3)Yes you are required to mail the original citizenship certificate when you apply for your passport. Make sure you make some extra copies for yourself just incase. I heard that you can apply for the passport the same day after taking the oath. There will be ppl there who will be present ther to assist you.
4) For expedite passports, I would give anywhere from 3-4 weeks based on talking to few folks. These days, there is lot of rush coz of summer seasons. All gorays are traveling to Bahamas and here & there so that's why there is lot of que.
Please keep us posted after your interview and oath. See which officer you get and what kind of questions you are asked. This will give the rest of us some idea too. Thanks.
Good luck.

Hooray.... Got my interview letter today ... Interview scheduled for July 24th at 10.00 AM. Atlanta is really fast ...

My case status online still says the usual "We recd. your N400 application on April 6 and we will mail you.......etc."

My friend whose FP was 2 days after me got July 31 Interview date today too.... Even his cases status remains the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview letter

Hi,
We got our interview letters yestertday.
My husband's FP was done on 5/17 and his interview is on 07/26 at 10.45 am.
My FP was done on 05/22 and interview is on 7/31 at 8.45 am

Thank you
cpgc

Just Started - 07/02/2007

N400 Timeline so far:

N400 mailed via Priority mail: 07/02/2007
N400 received by TSC: 07/06/2007
Check cleared: .
Priority date:
Receipt notice recd.:
FP Notice recd.:
FP: