Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

became new citizen on 26 Feb 09

Hi All,
I got my interview/ oath done yesterday.
Appt was at 10:45 am. Reached there at 10:30. went thru the security, got directed to 2nd floor. My wife was asked to wait at 2nd floor, i was sent to 3rd floor. They were behind schedule. Got called in at 12:30 got done in about 20 mins.
She spent most of the time going thru the papers. Asked me to confirm my travel and other entires on the form
Asked me if i have my date of birth certificate with me.. I said no. She was able to find the one submitted with the GC.
Your whole GC , including H1s are in the file with the officer.

asked me to read : who elects the congress
asked me to write : the people elect the congress.

then she asked me following civic questions :
1. who wrote declaration of independence
2. who is commander of armed forces.
3. name one state that borders Mexico.
4. what is the policitical party of the current president
5. name two main political parties
6. Name 3 states of the 13 original.

Asked if i wanted to oath same day?... YES!!!
Gave me a letter that my case is approved and will be reviewed by another officer. She kept the green card.

Asked me to wait at 2nd floor. after 20 mins, i was given the letter for 2pm oath.

110 people for 46 nations took oath. we had to initially check in, to verify our certificate to ensure that name, dob were correct.

Then the oath. pictures..

At 3pm, walked out as new citizen!!!

Applied : 11/18/08
FP : 12/12/08
Interview letter : third week of Jan
Interview : 2/26/09

3 months from start to finish!!

Hello Everyone,

I'll complete my 5 yearson GC in Nov-09? I have been reading other threads and if have few questions..
1. Is a Birth Certificate required at the time of interview as i lost mine?
2. I'll be filing in Atlanta DO, around Aug-09, just 90 days before my 5 yrs completion is that ok?
3. when does the application starts processing?

Any help would be highly appreciated... thanks!

congratulations greencardaspirer!!! Do you know what is average time that takes in Atlanta DO ?

no one know for sure how long it would take, but I think ATL is one of the fastest DO's around. My IV is scheduled in 3 months.

Hello fellow Atlanta filers,
I called uscis today. I was able to get my call escallated to a higher level and the officer told me that my case has been placed in queue for interview since the 25th of February and that I did not need to do biometrics since the one I did last year was still valid.
Does anyone know how long it takes from the time one is put in queue to when he/she receives an interview letter?

Can anyone please reply to question 1? thanks..

Hello Everyone,

I'll complete my 5 yearson GC in Nov-09? I have been reading other threads and if have few questions..
1. Is a Birth Certificate required at the time of interview as i lost mine?
2. I'll be filing in Atlanta DO, around Aug-09, just 90 days before my 5 yrs completion is that ok?
3. when does the application starts processing?

Any help would be highly appreciated... thanks!

Can anyone please reply to question 1? thanks..

I received a yellow form asking for an original or certified copy of my birth certificate to be brought along to the interview. Oddly, the interviewer didn't ask for it specifically, but my advice: better be prepared and get a copy from your home...always good to have anyway.

Hey guys! I'm happy tell you all that I became a US citizen last Tuesday, March 10. Thank you all for your advice. Special mention to bobsmyth, jackolantern and to everybody else who responded to my querries. To be honest, I won't have gotten it without your advice. From the time I applied until the time I'm waiting for my notices in the mail, you guys kept me company and shared with my anxieties. I thought at first that they add up the number of days you have been out of this country to the 5 years that's why I was reluctant at first to apply 90 days before my 5 years.

The interview was uneventful except that it was delayed due to computer problems. My interview is scheduled at 0805 and I got there at exactly 0735. I was interviewed around 0900. The officer is a middle aged African American woman. She is very nice and soft spoken. She did not even went over my list of trips which totalled 310 days in my application, plus I made another trip prior to the interview for 24 days. She did not even say or ask anything about my frequent trips back home- from 8 days to 145 days because my wife and my 6 month old baby girl are still there.

For the English test, she asked me to read a sentence?
" Who was Abraham Lincoln?" ( I think it should be "is" and not "was")

Then she asked me to write a sentence:
"Lincoln was president during the Civil War".
For the civics test, she asked me the following:
1. When was the Declaration of Independence written?
2. Who is the Speaker of the House of Representatives?
3. Name one of the longest rivers in the United States.
4. How many years do you elect a President?
5. What do you call the first 10 amendments of the constitution?
6. Who were the early people living the United States ?

Then after I got all the answers correct, she congratulated me for passing the Civics and English test and handed me a paper indicating that I'm recommended for approval. then she asked me to wait at the 2nd floor and wait for a letter of invitation for the Oath Ceremony at 1430. We were asked to come back at 1400.

The ceremony is short and very organized. I highly commend the people behind this. We were handed our Naturalization certificate when we came in and asked us for any corrections on the information we provided. The ceremony lasted about 45 minutes- very heart warming. There were 134 of us from 52 countries. There were film showing along with patriotic songs- God bless the USA, America the beautiful, Star Spangled banner and we recited the Oath of Allegiance altogether. At the end, the speaker gave us instructions on how to apply for US passport, update our status at Social Security from permanent resident to US citizen and to register to vote. We left the building around 1520.

Now my journey is done, I now have to move on to another big step- getting my wife and my daughter here. I hope it would be as smooth as my N-400 application. I will be visiting this forum once in a while and answer some questions based on my experience. I want to give forward the help I obtained during those times I was so anxious, and I would just go to this website to browse on people's experiences. This forum is such a HUGE HELP. Thanks to Atty. Rajeev Khanna and all the gurus in this forum -- to many of you to mention. You are all so great. I can never express how happy and proud I am to become a US citizen. This experience comes only once in a lifetime. God bless us all. God bless this country.

12/08/08- mailed N-400
12/12/08- PD
12/26/08- FP notice received
12/30/08- FP done (walk-in)
02/02/09- IL received
03/10/09- Interview date
03/10/09- Oath date
03/11/09- Applied US passport

I had an interview yesterday and going for oath ceremony today,thank god it is over,but immigration troubles are not over yet,I have to work for my parent's paper work:D

Hey guys! I'm happy tell you all that I became a US citizen last Tuesday, March 10. Thank you all for your advice. Special mention to bobsmyth, jackolantern and to everybody else who responded to my querries. To be honest, I won't have gotten it without your advice. From the time I applied until the time I'm waiting for my notices in the mail, you guys kept me company and shared with my anxieties. I thought at first that they add up the number of days you have been out of this country to the 5 years that's why I was reluctant at first to apply 90 days before my 5 years.

The interview was uneventful except that it was delayed due to computer problems. My interview is scheduled at 0805 and I got there at exactly 0735. I was interviewed around 0900. The officer is a middle aged African American woman. She is very nice and soft spoken. She did not even went over my list of trips which totalled 310 days in my application, plus I made another trip prior to the interview for 24 days. She did not even say or ask anything about my frequent trips back home- from 8 days to 145 days because my wife and my 6 month old baby girl are still there.

" Who was Abraham Lincoln?" ( I think it should be "is" and not "was")

Then she asked me to write a sentence:
"Lincoln was president during the Civil War".
For the civics test, she asked me the following:
1. When was the Declaration of Independence written?
2. Who is the Speaker of the House of Representatives?
3. Name one of the longest rivers in the United States.
4. How many years do you elect a President?
5. What do you call the first 10 amendments of the constitution?
6. Who were the early people living the United States ?

Then after I got all the answers correct, she congratulated me for passing the Civics and English test and handed me a paper indicating that I'm recommended for approval. then she asked me to wait at the 2nd floor and wait for a letter of invitation for the Oath Ceremony at 1430. We were asked to come back at 1400.

The ceremony is short and very organized. I highly commend the people behind this. We were handed our Naturalization certificate when we came in and asked us for any corrections on the information we provided. The ceremony lasted about 45 minutes- very heart warming. There were 134 of us from 52 countries. There were film showing along with patriotic songs- God bless the USA, America the beautiful, Star Spangled banner and we recited the Oath of Allegiance altogether. At the end, the speaker gave us instructions on how to apply for US passport, update our status at Social Security from permanent resident to US citizen and to register to vote. We left the building around 1520.

Now my journey is done, I now have to move on to another big step- getting my wife and my daughter here. I hope it would be as smooth as my N-400 application. I will be visiting this forum once in a while and answer some questions based on my experience. I want to give forward the help I obtained during those times I was so anxious, and I would just go to this website to browse on people's experiences. This forum is such a HUGE HELP. Thanks to Atty. Rajeev Khanna and all the gurus in this forum -- to many of you to mention. You are all so great. I can never express how happy and proud I am to become a US citizen. This experience comes only once in a lifetime. God bless us all. God bless this country.

12/08/08- mailed N-400
12/12/08- PD
12/26/08- FP notice received
12/30/08- FP done (walk-in)
02/02/09- IL received
03/10/09- Interview date
03/10/09- Oath date
03/11/09- Applied US passport

Congratulations !! Wow, 4 months from start to finish, and that includes them scheduling your interview after your 5th year anniversary (Feb 2009) as a LPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
" Who was Abraham Lincoln?" ( I think it should be "is" and not "was"

Hey, congratulations! About the part I quoted, it is correct to say "Who was Abraham Lincoln" as he is deceased. "Who is..." is used only for people who are alive.

hi, guys, I am in process of this now. See my signature for the dates. My question is that the interview is the decision day, right? I mean if everything is right, I should be granted citizenship, is the right? Or there is more steps after it?
Thanks!!

hi, guys, I am in process of this now. See my signature for the dates. My question is that the interview is the decision day, right? I mean if everything is right, I should be granted citizenship, is the right? Or there is more steps after it?
Thanks!!

No, the interview is to determine if you are recommended for approval to become citizen or not. Only at the oath do you become a citizen.

Out of county question

Hello Gurus,

Myself and my wife's GC approval date was 11/1/04, therefore we would be ready to apply this year just 90 days before, which would be sometime around 08/05/09.
We both have been out of the country travelling to india in past 4.5 years, and here are the dates, please let me if this would be a problem for applying and i we will meet the minimum stay requirement?
Myself:
2005 (1 month)
2006 ( 2weeks)
2007 (1 month)
2009 planned (1month)
Total: 3months and 2 weeks in past 4.5 years
Wife:
2004 (2.5 months)
2006 (2.5 months)
2007 (2.5 months)
2009 planned ( 2.5 months)
Total : 10 months out (not in one single year) in past 4.5 years.

Any help highly appreciated.