At Immigrations..

kcpant

Registered Users (C)
I recently came back after an overseas trip. But was asked kind of the same questions (when i had a GC) at the counter..

How long were you away for?
What do you do in here?

I didn't expect these questions since these were the same line of questioning when I had the LPR as well. Just wanted to throw this out there and know the views and experiences of folks who have travelled after their citizenship.

I recently came back after an overseas trip. But was asked kind of the same questions (when i had a GC) at the counter..

What do you do in here?

I didn't expect these questions since these were the same line of questioning when I had the LPR as well. Just wanted to throw this out there and know the views and experiences of folks who have travelled after their citizenship.

I would answer with a question to a question:
Is your wife free this weekend?
What do you do in here?
Can I have a phone # to your wife?

They can ask, but you can say: FOAD (fcuk off and die).

I hear the meals are good there. I think he's saying he's already a USC and he's upset that he's still being questioned. I think the answer to the first question is straightforward. As to the second the answer is obviously "I live here".

incidentally, the secondary inspection thing may occur to you even if USC. There were some cases of folks (mentally challenged folks but nevertheless)(mentally challenged folks but nevertheless) who were deported b/c they could not (allegedly) establish that they were USCs (which they were). One thing to keep in mind is that unless you really don't care "keeping it real" with any governental officials US or otherwise is not the best thing.

Both questions are totally legit questions and can be asked by any officer at a checkpoint in any country. I know native USC that have been asked this question. And if these questions are designed to catch the bad guys I have no problem with it.

Both questions are totally legit questions and can be asked by any officer at a checkpoint in any country. I know native USC that have been asked this question. And if these questions are designed to catch the bad guys I have no problem with it.

I agree, the officers have huge responsibilities and may ask a few questions in the course of their work.

The questions are pretty standard and can be asked to anyone, native born or naturalized USC. You do not have to have a job as a citizen or LPR to live in the US. If you do not have a job, just tell him/her you are in between jobs. They are not going to check where you work.

What do you do in here?

The purpose of this questioning is not to quiz you and see if you are gainfully employed etc, but to establish a communication which allows them to sense if everything sounds okay or does the person show any signs of nervousness etc (which may happen if the person is scared about something perhaps illegal).

I would answer with a question to a question:
Is your wife free this weekend?
What do you do in here?
Can I have a phone # to your wife?

They can ask, but you can say: FOAD (fcuk off and die).

thrix,

Sounds like you went thru a bad experience with immigrations at the POE. Was the officer too personal about your wife?

Thrix,

If I was you, I will change my wife's phone number as soon as I get back home. :D

You never know why he wanted the number for. Did you have a photo of here in your wallet?;)

Were you coming through Boston by any chance? I passed through Atlanta, Washington and New York and never had this problem. The only time I came through Boston, it was almost an harrassement. I am LPR though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason

The real reason you where asked those questions is because, it hs been known that people in other countries, steal US passport of look a likes or relatives to enter the US. So to protect you, they ask the holder of the passport questions that are already in the GOVT comp data. If you seem nervous or answer you are a doctor, when your data info says engineer, or you say you live in NY when your current address at DMV and IRS says TX , well you will go to te back room for secondary questioning.

So dot feel you were picked on. I know exeactly the feeling. I was qestioned once like that. But the Govt officails should have later explained why he asked those questions.

Thrix,

If I was you, I will change my wife's phone number as soon as I get back home. :D

You never know why he wanted the number for. Did you have a photo of here in your wallet?;)

Were you coming through Boston by any chance? I passed through Atlanta, Washington and New York and never had this problem. The only time I came through Boston, it was almost an harrassement. I am LPR though.

fbanna,

I think it would be easier for thrix to change his wife instead of changing his wife's number ;)

thrix,

Sounds like you went thru a bad experience with immigrations at the POE. Was the officer too personal about your wife?

I think thrix was saying that if he were to be asked about his stay overseas he will answer by asking the officer about is wife... and not the other way around.

IMO the Immigration Officers, atleast the ones I have interacted with, are always very professional. If they were to ask about the traveler's wife in a fashion implying disrespect they can easily get into trouble.

Guys,
Thrix was just kidding. Like Muku said, he (Thrix) says those are the questions he will ask and not the other way around.
If those questions are ever ask of you by anybody at the airport, government official or not, just politely refuse to answer and ask for a supervisor. It is will surely get him fired

Guys,
Thrix was just kidding. Like Muku said, he (Thrix) says those are the questions he will ask and not the other way around.
If those questions are ever ask of you by anybody at the airport, government official or not, just politely refuse to answer and ask for a supervisor. It is will surely get him fired

Oh I see, so Thrix was just kidding.......but who laughed?

Guys,

Are you kidding? Fired? If you ever want job security, you should get a job in a government bureaucracy.