Asylum status granted, what next?

junbo99

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for your time:)

Fortunately, I have been granted Asylum status last week. I have a few questions regarding what I need to do next.

I have already applied and received both SSN (Valid for work only with DHS authorization) and EAD (Valid for 1 year) before granting Asylum status.

Now, what do I need to apply to work in US?
1) Am I eligible for unlimited SSN replacement from SSN Admin now, or do I need to wait until GC approval?
2) If not eligible for unlimited SSN, would I able to apply for permanent working permit?
3) I read GC for an Asylee application requires I-94 which I do not have. How do I apply for the asylum I-94 card?
4) I have obtained the immigration judge’s orders showing that I was granted asylum (Hand written without any stamp). Would I be receiving any formal notification regarding my approval?

I know it's a lot of questions, I would really appreciate if anyone could shed me some light.:)

Hello everyone,

Fortunately, I have been granted Asylum status last week. I have a few questions regarding what I need to do next.

I have already applied and received both SSN (Valid for work only with DHS authorization) and EAD (Valid for 1 year) before granting Asylum status.

1) Am I eligible for unlimited SSN replacement from SSN Admin now, or do I need to wait until GC approval?
2) If not eligible for unlimited SSN, would I able to apply for permanent working permit?
3) I read GC for an Asylee application requires I-94 which I do not have. How do I apply for the asylum I-94 card?
4) I have obtained the immigration judge’s orders showing that I was granted asylum (Hand written without any stamp). Would I be receiving any formal notification regarding my approval?

I know it's a lot of questions, I would really appreciate if anyone could shed me some light.:)

asylum I-94 card is a standard arrive/departure card, but without tracking number on the top of the card.
You should received it with your approval letter, I don't know how it goes if you have approved by the immigration Judge, I think you should received it in few days.

It should say Asylum Granted Indefinitely, As far as I know you have to take that card to Social Security Administration and update your status as Asylee. Employment authorization Card valid for one year, you have to renew it.

Hello everyone,

Congratulations on receiving your asylum status. Enjoy your freedom in this beautiful country.

To answer your questions, you are entitled to an unrestricted SSN. Just go to the SSA and show your asylum status and they will take care of it. For employment, you can get employed with an unrestricted SSN and a Govt issued ID like a driver's license. You can get your I-94 by making an infopass with the USCIS. Since you were granted asylum through Immigration Court, you might have to wait a couple of months before the USCIS gets your file from the Immigration Court. I had to wait three months before USCIS got my file from Immigration Court.

Congratulations on receiving your asylum status. Enjoy your freedom in this beautiful country.

To answer your questions, you are entitled to an unrestricted SSN. Just go to the SSA and show your asylum status and they will take care of it. For employment, you can get employed with an unrestricted SSN and a Govt issued ID like a driver's license. You can get your I-94 by making an infopass with the USCIS. Since you were granted asylum through Immigration Court, you might have to wait a couple of months before the USCIS gets your file from the Immigration Court. I had to wait three months before USCIS got my file from Immigration Court.

Thank you mesbahul for your kindness and information. Same congrad to you.
Sounds like you also went through immigration court. What type of paper work did you receive after being granted. I got a piece of simply typed A4 paper, judge signed "ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION JUDGE" from the court with no official letter head. Would SSA take that as prove of asylum status? Did you receive any other notifications from the court or USCIS afterwards?
Do you mind be a little more specific on the I-94 application process?
Thanks again.

Thank you mesbahul for your kindness and information. Same congrad to you.
Sounds like you also went through immigration court. What type of paper work did you receive after being granted. I got a piece of simply typed A4 paper, judge signed "ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION JUDGE" from the court with no official letter head. Would SSA take that as prove of asylum status? Did you receive any other notifications from the court or USCIS afterwards?
Do you mind be a little more specific on the I-94 application process?
Thanks again.

I got the same thing as you. The decision was typed in A4 paper. I had to wait for one month for the decision to be final as the Judge gave the DHS an opportunity to appeal and they had to appeal within 30 days.

As far as the I-94 is concerned, take your asylum paperwork you got from the court and go to the USCIS and tell them that you want the I-94 and they will take care of the rest.

I got the same thing as you. The decision was typed in A4 paper. I had to wait for one month for the decision to be final as the Judge gave the DHS an opportunity to appeal and they had to appeal within 30 days.

As far as the I-94 is concerned, take your asylum paperwork you got from the court and go to the USCIS and tell them that you want the I-94 and they will take care of the rest.

Great mesbahul, just what I am looking for. For once I was a little worried, a page of A4 paper without the letter head of "United States Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, Immigration Court", even SSA site is asking for the letter head.

Once again, thank you very much for your information.

again, how long does it take for the A-file to be transferred from Immigration court system to the USCIS if someone is approved asylum by IJ? Is it a month after the decision becomes final if the gov't has reserved an appeal. Mesbahul...what district office was your case concerned with?

Could anybody care to tell me the purpose of I94? I'm a derivative asylee and I'm yet to leave the country ever since I arrived here. ( I was a F1 visa holder ). The new I94 that I received with the approval letter doesn't have a number or anything. What I94 should I use when I leave the country? I wonder if the USCIS/DHS made an error....

Could anybody care to tell me the purpose of I94? I'm a derivative asylee and I'm yet to leave the country ever since I arrived here. ( I was a F1 visa holder ). The new I94 that I received with the approval letter doesn't have a number or anything. What I94 should I use when I leave the country? I wonder if the USCIS/DHS made an error....

Walker,
You don't have to worry about this issue because you almost have GC. You will get approved before the end of this month.

again, how long does it take for the A-file to be transferred from Immigration court system to the USCIS if someone is approved asylum by IJ? Is it a month after the decision becomes final if the gov't has reserved an appeal. Mesbahul...what district office was your case concerned with?

I had to wait a little over 3 months before USCIS got my files from the Immigration court. My case was in New York City.

You really don't need and I-94.

I had to wait a little over 3 months before USCIS got my files from the Immigration court. My case was in New York City.

did they contact you to tell you that your file was transferred and you can apply for an i-94 now? I have heard the USCIS is telling asylum grantees from the Immigration court to wait for a transfer letter of A-file from USCIS and then bring that to get an i-94. So, i guess they issue letters to inform clients about the transfer of files.

hi sir,,i need your help,
my father is living in newyork selden,the immigration judge terry a bain granted relief on his asylum case as on 21st sept 2015 at 26 federal plaza newyork,,
i just wanna know when he will get his i-94 card?? i mean how much time it will take??
becoz attorny of my father says its very necessory for filing pittision form I-730..
i will be thankfull to you sir :)

hi sir,,i need your help,
my father is living in newyork selden,the immigration judge terry a bain granted relief on his asylum case as on 21st sept 2015 at 26 federal plaza newyork,,
i just wanna know when he will get his i-94 card?? i mean how much time it will take??
becoz attorny of my father says its very necessory for filing pittision form I-730..
i will be thankfull to you sir :)