Asylum on the grounds of religious persecution

alhayek

Registered Users (C)
I was born in the Gaza Strip, raised to a Muslim family. I've been in the states since 2003 on as a student, and currently in the process of getting an H-1B. However, I no longer believe in Islam or any other religion for that matter.
Obviously returning to the Gaza Strip will cause me a lot of problems with the Radical religious government in place. First for becoming an Atheist, and second because me and my family are affiliated with the secular opposition party. a friend of mine suggested that I consider applying for Asylum in the US as opposed to just taking an H-1B since the window for applying for Asylum is shorter. Any thoughts on how that might go ? what should I do ? and do I have better odds going with the H-1B or the Asylum process ?
Thanks everybody

usually, it takes more than being an atheist to get asylum. i am from a country that is very extreme about practicing islam too. but i have never heard about a case based on atheism. maybe converting to other religions, but not atheism. but then again, i am not a lawyer! my suggestion is for you to get an excellent lawyer and see if they can put together a strong case for you. uscis is being very strict about asylum cases, make sure ur case is a strong one!

Asylum is difficult process. USCIS is very strict. They only give to people who have a real fear of persecution or people who suffered sever persecution in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is only suggestion that u talk with lawyer but asylum is on past threatned and it should be done within the year. and if you will do it then you will have problems in ur future cases like H1 b. my freind is on the same situtaion.

Riyarose, I have to disagree with some of your comment. Asylum can be filed OVER 1 year period after your arrival in US. There are exceptions to the 1 year filing period like serious medical condition, maintaining lawful status, changed condition in COP and etc. And according to my lawyer, if you're out of status before you apply for asylum, you are not eligible to apply for H-1B. But, if not, u can apply for H-1B.

Caveat: This is not a legal advice. You are responsible for your own doing. You are advised to consult an experienced immigration attorney for your asylum case.

i applied after a year of my first entry. i was granted asylee status 6 months later. it all depends

i applied after a year of my first entry. i was granted asylee status 6 months later. it all depends on how you explain it.

Hi my friends,

I changed my religion from Islam to Christianity.
so what should I type in Religion box of the application form?

I was born in the Gaza Strip, raised to a Muslim family. I've been in the states since 2003 on as a student, and currently in the process of getting an H-1B. However, I no longer believe in Islam or any other religion for that matter.
Obviously returning to the Gaza Strip will cause me a lot of problems with the Radical religious government in place. First for becoming an Atheist, and second because me and my family are affiliated with the secular opposition party. a friend of mine suggested that I consider applying for Asylum in the US as opposed to just taking an H-1B since the window for applying for Asylum is shorter. Any thoughts on how that might go ? what should I do ? and do I have better odds going with the H-1B or the Asylum process ?
Thanks everybody[/QUOTE
sorry thought it is a new post.

Last edited by a moderator:
you "changed " religion here in the US?

you are not gonna just get asylum by just changing your religion , you have to prove first that you genuinely converted to Christianity and expect to be asked extensively about your new religion and you need evidence that you belong to that religion , witnesses .......

also you have to prove that you are in danger if you go back to your country because you converted and explain how did they found out that you converted or how they will know , because you can live in your country and practice your religion without anybody knowing .

and to answer your question , type whatever religion you converted to , and i highly suggest that you find a good lawyer . you are not getting asylum by simply saying i converted to Christianity...

All asylum offices are literally deluged with asylum applications, many Asylum cases some of them so badly prepared and so incomprehensible that the limited number of asylum officers in each office are having a hard time processing and scheduling them for interviews
You are very right ,USCIS will just deny the case because of those grounds to prove asylum

Hi,
I entered USA as a tourist about 11 months and 15 days ago. My visa expired in 6 months.
My story changed, I had to apply for I-589 ( Affirmative Asylum), now I am waiting for the receipt of my filing and also my withholding of removal.
In the meanwhile the homeland security tried to contact me in my former address ( in San Jose), they asked the neighbor, that I give them a call. ( they gave their phone number).now I live in LA.
What should I do?
calling them and explaining to them?
or just wait for my withholding of removal letter and then call them?
or never call them?

Thank you for your kind attention

Best

Nima