Asylee with GC Studying Abroad

EirwenPR

Registered Users (C)
I'm a derivative of an asylee, and I've been considering studying abroad with one of the programs with my college (none of them are in COP). One of the program I'm considering is an academic year program which means I would have to be abroad for around 8 months. I will still be registered as a full-time student at my school and paying regular tuition, and of course my permanent home's with my parents in the States. I will be keeping my bank accounts and everything as well. I'll be eligible for citizenship in October of 2011 and I would rather not have my clock reset because of studying abroad, but if I'm considered a full-time student at my school for all intents and purposes while I'm abroad, will it be enough grounds to say that I'm safe from breaking my residency even though I'll be away for more than 6 months? Or is it safer to fly back and spend Christmas break home so that I won't be abroad for more than 6 months at a time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well,

I was a student abroad for 4 semesters. I got a Re-Entry permit, but I never stayed out for more than 5 months at a time. If you intend to apply for citizenship in a couple of years, I would say you should also come back in-between, though often 8 months away can be excused if you have a good explanation. The fact that you're going abroad to study will work slightly in your favour, though you should try not to work while abroad, and maintain as many ties to the US as you can. Some others will chime in about this too, probably, but I won't know the outcome of all my shenanigans until I apply for citizenship next year. I'll post my experience on the forum fo sho!

Good luck to you.

Pardon my ignorance but why would you study overseas? People r going crazy to come here for an education and you left to get one somewhere else? Unless Its oxford...I don't think it's worth to risk your USC application over this.

Pardon my ignorance but why would you study overseas? People r going crazy to come here for an education and you left to get one somewhere else? Unless Its oxford...I don't think it's worth to risk your USC application over this.
Sorry if my first post wasn't clear, but first of all, they are study abroad programs affiliated with my school so I'm not "leaving" to get an education somewhere else per se, and for one of my majors (I'm a double major) studying abroad is actually part of the major requirement so unless I decide to drop that major, studying abroad is completely unavoidable.