Asylee needing help......I-485 issue

egragjevi

Registered Users (C)
My I-485 was transfered to Chicago asylum office for processing since sept 06. Applied for GC Aug 2003. Had 2 set of fingerprints done and 2 medical examinations done. After that my I485 was transferred. I have called and written to this office mutiple times to check why is taking so long, but I have not gotten my questions answered. Consulted a lawyer and was told I needed to wait. But how long do I need to wait? Chicago is processing I-485 within 6 months. Seems to me this case is "frozen". Contacted local senator office. Started working on it....whatever that means.
Has anyone gone through this and what suggestions do you have for me?
What is the procedure for processing I485?
Can the chicago sylum office reject my application for asylum?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

My I-485 was transfered to Chicago asylum office for processing since sept 06. Applied for GC Aug 2003. Had 2 set of fingerprints done and 2 medical examinations done. After that my I485 was transferred. I have called and written to this office mutiple times to check why is taking so long, but I have not gotten my questions answered. Consulted a lawyer and was told I needed to wait. But how long do I need to wait? Chicago is processing I-485 within 6 months. Seems to me this case is "frozen". Contacted local senator office. Started working on it....whatever that means.
Has anyone gone through this and what suggestions do you have for me?
What is the procedure for processing I485?
Can the chicago sylum office reject my application for asylum?
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Did you file your AOS as a derivative asylee? If so, it may be that they needed to do some processing that could be related to Child Status Protection Act.

thank you for the reply but...........

I am the primary applicant on my asylum application. Any other thoughts????

Chicago office is backlog

I apply for asylum in 2004 in DC had case transfered to Chicago which took 2 years

but once they get started they are quick

I am the primary applicant on my asylum application. Any other thoughts????

It is very unusual.

Not to alarm you, but this comes from a 1998 INS publication:

Section 209.2(e) is being amended to allow the Service to review an
application for asylum-based permanent residence and determine if a
final decision on the application can be made without an interview. In
this process, the officer will determine if there are facts or issues
that need to be resolved in an interview, or whether the application
meets other referral criteria developed by the Service. The application
will be transferred to a local office for processing if it is
determined that an interview with the applicant is necessary. If the
local office discovers evidence of fraud in the original application
for asylum, or determines that the applicant no longer qualifies as a
refugee under section 101(a)(42) of the Act, the evidence will be
referred to the Asylum Office having jurisdiction over the applicant's
place of residence, for a determination whether asylee status is to be
revoked. Once the Asylum Office has resolved the issues regarding
revocation, the local office will complete its adjudication of the Form
I-485 application.

I have the same issue --

I have the same issue, my case transferred to wrong state ( I am Maryland residence and they sent my case to Virginia) after 5 months I went to Virgina office and asked why they don't do anything about it. They said I need to put a request in my Immigration office in Maryland to transfer my case to Maryland that I did but they have not transferred my case yet even I contact my Senator and he got involved to it and they sent second request but still waiting......

Hope it helps

I have the same issue, my case transferred to wrong state ( I am Maryland residence and they sent my case to Virginia) after 5 months I went to Virgina office and asked why they don't do anything about it. They said I need to put a request in my Immigration office in Maryland to transfer my case to Maryland that I did but they have not transferred my case yet even I contact my Senator and he got involved to it and they sent second request but still waiting......

Hope it helps

Transferred to an asylum office or a normal immigration office?