Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

thankful,

Correction.

Ur post time is 9:54 AM and not 11:54 AM as mentioned in my earlier post.

For asylum cases approved by the EOIR, USCIS cannot terminate the asylum grant using one of its Asylum Officers. They have to go back to Immigration Court or the BIA to reopen the case.

Hi mh66ii,

Yes, it is a mistake not to write down all your trips in the form N-400. My advice is to fill in all your trips and at the interview handle the sheet to the Immigration Officer. Tell him/her you forgot to write all your trips.

cop-passport renewal

First of all - I'd like to congrat InQ4GC for your citizenship. Second of all - thank you for sharing the event of your journey from asylum to citizenship. It's really helpful for me to decide whether I should or not visit my cop for my sister's wedding. I'm 1 year away from citizenship. Now I decide not to go for being on the safe side.

I do have a question:
I renewed my passport in 2004 and just expired last year. I never used that passport to travel, since I never got the time and savings ;).
now, my question is: will renewing my passport be a problem during citizenship interview?

Since you never used it why you want even mention that you have it?
They ask for passport to check the time you stayed outside US.I guess thats all.
Thanks, Pete.
I was just wondering if the officer will ask why I renewed my passport if I didn't plan to go back to cop?

There is only one legitimate reason for renewing COP passport. If it violates certain laws and you are subject to ciminal prosecution because of that. All other reasons could cause a lot of questions.

Yes as she said "before they make you a U.S Citizen, they make you pee in your pants."

I am nervous as hell about mine now since they have asked all the same questions as asylum time. Not that i have done anything wrong but the fact that they bring up the whole thing again kinda makes you nervous.

Wow, Want, you only have 1 year and 3 months to the time when you are eligible to apply for citizenship! Time flies. I remember when you got approved.

Hello - I have a question: Did anyone ever experience your application for citizenship being returned to you because it's several months too early to be submitted? Did you get your check back? What is the best timeframe to start the process? 6 months before 5 years of permanent residency?
Thanks for your answers

vineiris,

your are supposed to file the naturalization application 4 years and 9 months after the date your I-485 was approved or you were considered permanent resident. this is the date that is on ur GC/PRC stating "residence since 00/00/000". for asylees, this date is one year before their I-485 was approved since asylee GC is backdated one year (still the date on ur GC tho). so for example:

asylum granted on January 1st 2003
I-485 filed on January 1st 2004 (ND)
I-485 approved on March 1st 2005
GC received and is backdated 1 year --> resident since March 1st 2004 (Date on ur GC)
eligible for naturalization on (March 1st 2004 + 4yrs & 9mos) -->
December 1st 2008

this is the date that you are eligible for naturalization. you can file for your citizenship only on or after this date.

so yes USCIS will return your documents to you if you have not completed your residency requirements yet. regarding your payment, im not sure what happens to it. your best choice will be to call USCIS and ask them about it or make an appointment at your nearest immigration office.

good luck

hey
I am a\new here and I wana take advantage of your experiance.
I am a derivitive asylee,I came in the United States in 4\7\2007.and now I applied for my green in 9\19\2008. How long it takes to get it?
What is the processing time.

From the other hand, I applied for a refugee travel document in 2\19\2008 ,and i didn't get them yet that means i am waiting for almost 8 months. The send me by mail the reciept papre.
Is there something wrong???

Can I use the documents to go backhome???
I have my older sister over there. I need to see her.
Is this enough reason???

thank you

Originally posted by LolaLi
Not necessarily. I think our status will always come up and then the question about traveling internationally and to the COP will follow. Especially after reading InQ4GC's experience, I am convinced now that those who don't get asked about the COP are the ones that aren't the norm.

I don't think that is really the case. I had my interview and all she asked is whether I traveled since I filled in my N400. I told her yes and she updated the application. She looked at my passport from COP to validate that the date I told her as accurate. She then proceeded to the 10 questions and it was done. The whole thing lasted only a few mins. No questions whatsoever about national passport or COP even though I clearly saw AS6 written in big red letters on my form. Also, my brother had his interview about a month before me and had a very similar experience...no questions regarding asylum status. He was naturalized 2 weeks ago, and I have my ceremony next week. FYI, in case you're wondering we live in different areas of the country.

Thanks energizer for sharing us a good news after just hear bad thinks for those who want just create panic in this forum.

Travelco

Originally posted by LolaLi
Not necessarily. I think our status will always come up and then the question about traveling internationally and to the COP will follow. Especially after reading InQ4GC's experience, I am convinced now that those who don't get asked about the COP are the ones that aren't the norm.

I don't think that is really the case. I had my interview and all she asked is whether I traveled since I filled in my N400. I told her yes and she updated the application. She looked at my passport from COP to validate that the date I told her as accurate. She then proceeded to the 10 questions and it was done. The whole thing lasted only a few mins. No questions whatsoever about national passport or COP even though I clearly saw AS6 written in big red letters on my form. Also, my brother had his interview about a month before me and had a very similar experience...no questions regarding asylum status. He was naturalized 2 weeks ago, and I have my ceremony next week. FYI, in case you're wondering we live in different areas of the country.

Hi Energizer
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Energizer
Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have few question for you if you don't mind to respond.
1-Had you ever visit COP after your asylum approval and if yes had you listed in your N-400.
2-Were you or your brother primary applicant or derivative asylum ?If I am not mistaken AS^ must be primary applicant.
3-Which country you were asylum from and has condtion of your country changed after your asylum?
4-Where DO your application was processed and interviewed?
5-How long after your GC did you apply for citizenship?
Thank you

Another question, how long did it take in the naturalization process.

need opinion regarding my case

I got my greencard thru political asylum on april 2006. I went to my country on december 2006; it was my cousin's wedding and I was her maid of honor. I married a US Citizen on June 2008 -- and went back again to my country on the same month, june 2008 for my 2nd wedding reception in my country.

Now, My bro is getting married -- february 2009 -- and I plan to go back to my country again along with my husband.

I am a bit concern about my future N-400 application. I am pretty sure that they will ask whether I've ever visit my country after the asylum granted / after GC received.

my case is really unique. my house get attacked on '99 (religious issues, and I get a newspaper as a proof, the date they attacked my house, they interviewed my dad on the newspaper) - I moved to US on January '00 -- and apply asylum 2002, got the GC on 2006 and married to US Citizen on 2008 ..

Do u think they will give me a hardtime during my citizenship interview?

Yes! you should be prepared to explain your trips back home. hopefully they don't give you much of a hard time since you are married to a US citizen but the fact remains that you obtained GC thru asylum and went back to your COP numerous times.

Former asylees applying for citizenship in 2009 tracker

Hello Everyone,

Many of us will be applying for citizenship this year, i know some of you visit the citizenship section of this forum but i still think we should have our own to share our experience as well, i think this will be useful for those who have concerns about questions asked during the interview regarding going back to to COP, family, travel documents, traffic tickets and other offenses, etc.
I will apply on March.

the info below from the USCIS website.

Please read the guide to naturalization here: (very important)

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Instruction for N-400 (the most current one):
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400ins.pdf

The most current N-400 form:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-400.pdf

Where to File :

If you currently reside in Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

USCIS
P.O. Box 21251
Phoenix, AZ 85036

For express/courier deliveries, use:

USCIS
Attn: N-400
1820 E Skyharbor Cicle S, Floor 1
Phoenix, AZ 85034

If you reside in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Flordia, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands, send your application to the USCIS Lockbox Facility at:

USCIS
P.O. Box 299026
Lewisville, TX 75029

USCIS
Attn: N-400
2501 S State Hwy 121, Bldg. #4
Lewisville, TX 75067

All naturalization applicants filing under the military provisions, section 328 or 329, should file their application at the Nebraska Service Center regardless of geographic location or jurisdiction. Please send your application to:

Nebraska Service Center
P.O. Box 87426
Lincoln, NE 68501-7426

Nebraska Service Center
850 S Street
Lincoln, NE 68508

Filing Fee :
$595 plus a biometrics fee of $80; the fee total is $675. Applicants 75 years of age or older are not charged a biometric fee; their fee total is $595. No fee is required for military applicants filing under Section 328 and 329 of the INA.
Special Instructions :

Please note: You will need Adobe Reader version 8 or higher to use this form. You can download the latest version of Adobe Reader without cost at the Related Link "Adobe Reader"

Please note: The Instructions to Form N-400 frequently refer to information in the USCIS document A Guide to Naturalization, M-476. We encourage you to review those referenced sections of the Guide as you complete this form.

This version of the N-400, Application for Naturalization, is available below in two files - the instructions and the form itself.

We recommend that you download the form directly to your local computer, rather than fill it out through your web browser. Using a Windows PC, "right-click" on the link to the fillable form and select "Save Link As" (in Netscape) or "Save Target As" (in Internet Explorer) and work from the copy you save to your hard drive.

Note on Filing Fee:

Fees are accepted in the form of money order, personal check or cashiers check only. Checks should be made payable to Department of Homeland Security or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Please don't forget to update your signature to the following format:

D/O : (your district office)
xx/xx/09 : N-400 Mailed to (Name of Service Center)
xx/xx/09 : Forwarded to (location of Lockbox.)
xx/xx/09 : USPS mail delivered
xx/xx/09 : Check cashed
xx/xx/09 : NOA Received.
xx/xx/09 : FP Notice Received.
xx/xx/09 : FP Appointment.
xx/xx/09 : Interview Letter.
xx/xx/09 : Interview Date.
xx/xx/09 : Oath Letter.
xx/xx/09 : Oath Date.

Good luck to all of us :)

Do we need to consider days out of country at the time of application submission? say 3 trips of 2 week each totaling 42 days.

Or is it just 5year anniversary - 90 days.