Are the I-130 and I-864 filed at the same time

mem2

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I'm just about ready to file the i-130 for my parents (who are outside the United States) and I just found out about the i-184.

The question I have is: do I file the i-130 now and then wait to be instructed by the USCIS to file the i-864 at a later date -- I'd prefer that as I have not prepared for the i-864.

Thanks!

They are outside the US, so the I-864 is to be filed later in the process, after I-130 approval.

If they were inside the US, you would file the I-864 together with their I-485 (and the I-485 in turn may be filed together with the I-130, if doing concurrent filing).

Is there any advantage over have them process it while they are in the US or outside

Many thanks for your response.

Two follow on questions:

1. Is there any advantage over having them process it while they are in the US or outside? (They are currently in Pakistan)

2. Once I file the i-130 can they visit the US while their application is pending approval - (they both currently have valid visit visas to the US)

Thanks again.

Many thanks for your response.

Two follow on questions:

1. Is there any advantage over having them process it while they are in the US or outside? (They are currently in Pakistan)

2. Once I file the i-130 can they visit the US while their application is pending approval - (they both currently have valid visit visas to the US)

Thanks again.

1. Yes, its cheaper.

2. If they have pending immigrant visa with USCIS, they may be denied entry at Port of Entry, as the visa they currently possess is for non-immigrant intent.