Appointment at US passport agency

platypeanArccow

Registered Users (C)
How fast is it usually possible to get an appointment at the US passport agency? (In particular, the ones in San Francisco and Los Angeles?) Also, is it OK to make an appointment more than 14 days before the flight, as long as the appointment itself is less than 14 days before the flight? The automated call thing makes this seem wrong as far as I could tell, but I don't see why.

Also, is it possible to get a photograph taken on the spot or am I required to bring in a photo?

Last edited by a moderator:
We took an appointement at PP office in Washington DC 10 days
before , and we were able to get the date and time we requested.
Our number was 1st in the list , so I have a feeling that you can
take an appointement even 2-3 days in advance and get it for
the day you require.

You can take appointement more that 14 days before as long as
your travel date is within 14 days . They did'nt even check our
tickets . We go the passport in 3.5 hrs.

PP office does'nt take photos . Normally there are shops outside
who will do it for you . Why do you want to wait till last
minute for the photos ? You can get your paper work and
photos ready before going to PP office .

Also, you can get an appointment at any time in advance if you can proof travel to a country that requires you to obtain a visa. That is what I did (traveled to the Republic of Moldova).

Cheers!
Legal

Are they still issuing E-Passports in Washington, DC? I read somewhere on this forum that now they are issuing regular passports at the DC agency.

I got mine at the DC passport agency and it is a non-ePassport. As I had posted before: I know three folks who got an ePassport at the D.C. facility. One in late 2005 and two in the spring of '06. Neither person is diplomat or some other type of government employee. I personally saw their passports and they looked EXACTLY like the ePassport depicted on the website of the U.S. Dept. of State.

Yet, it does not really matter, does it? ;-)

Cheers!
Legal

I guess it does not really matter but the new one looks pretty cool and high tech as compared to the old one :)

Should I take appt @Passport agency or handover after Oath for expedite processing?

Hi,

I need to travel out of US about 10-12 days after my oath next month?.

Which of the following is my best option?.

1. Hand over the Passport application and certificate of Naturalizationafter my Oath ceremony for rush processing.

2. Take an appointment at State Dept - Passport Agency for expedite processing.

3. Travel with Indian passport and enter with certificate of Naturalization?.

Your experience and opinion would be a big help.

Thanks
EastBay_003

EastBay_003 said:
Hi,

I need to travel out of US about 10-12 days after my oath next month?.

Which of the following is my best option?.

1. Hand over the Passport application and certificate of Naturalizationafter my Oath ceremony for rush processing.

2. Take an appointment at State Dept - Passport Agency for expedite processing.

3. Travel with Indian passport and enter with certificate of Naturalization?.

Your experience and opinion would be a big help.

Thanks
EastBay_003

You should go to the Passport Agency and get it done, that way you can get it the same day or the next day. If you go for the expedited one through the mail, it can take up to two weeks. Since you are traveling in under two weeks, option 2 is better for you.

platypeanArccow said:
How fast is it usually possible to get an appointment at the US passport agency? (In particular, the ones in San Francisco and Los Angeles?)
It really varies from post office to post office. In come busy post offices, you have to take an appointment more than a week in advance while in some others you can get an appointment just a day in advance. Some even serve walk-ins.

Regarding actual time for processing, if you can show your travel itenerary, you can get your new passport within a couple of days.

No, You just have to prove you are traveling in the next 14 days. The expedited fee is the same whether you get it in a day or two weeks.

How long it will take from submitting to get your passport in your hands ? I mean under expedited process .

anyone shares his/her experience ? Thanks/Jimmy

jimmy777777 said:
How long it will take from submitting to get your passport in your hands ? I mean under expedited process .

anyone shares his/her experience ? Thanks/Jimmy

I you do it through the Post Office about two weeks. If you go to one of the regional passport agencies and can prove you are traveling within the next 14 days, you can get your passport the same day or no more that 3 days.

kind of urgent

Does anyone know how fast you can receive the passport in SAN FRANCISCO passport agency? My appointment is early morning. Is it possible to receive the passport in the afternoon? or next day? or day after next day? :)

Reason asking is that I got an urgent travel plan. Thanks a bunch.