Applying TN from H4 with a US citizen child

preet4575

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I was on TN in US from Jan 2013 - Jan 2014 (contract was for one year). Before my visa expired I switched back to H4 (since wife is working on H1). Now I got a contract offer again and I need to apply for TN again.

1) I am planning to go to Sumas or Pearson POE for my TN. Does anyone has experience with Sumas POE? I have heard bad experiences for Blaine POE

2) I am in Seattle area and if i drive to Sumas I plan to take my wife and my child (who is a US citizen) since its approximately 2:30 hrs drive. My question is since TN is not dual intent, am I showing to the CBP officer that since my wife is on H1 and my child is US citizen, I am planning to live in US for ever? will it have effect on my TN visa?

Thanks,

2. Your child cannot confer any immigration benefit on your until they are 21, so there is no assumption of immig intenton that basis.
Your wife, on H1, simply cannot live in US forever, and nor can you, regardless of your child's citizenship.
If that is your goal, then one of you needs to get an employer to sponsor GC for you. That is when you will have immig intent. For now, despite your "desire" to live in US, and depsite your US child, you are nowhere near immigrating to US permanently, until your child is 21, or you find a sponsor.