Applying GC only for my mother

dragon12345

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I would like to apply GC for my mother but not my father at this moment because my father is still working and cannot stay in US in the coming years.

Is it ok only apply for my mother first? Would this affect my father's application in the future?

In this case do I still need to submit their marriage certificate? Thank you very much!

Hi, I would like to apply GC for my mother but not my father at this moment because my father is still working and cannot stay in US in the coming years.

Is it ok only apply for my mother first? Would this affect my father's application in the future?

In this case do I still need to submit their marriage certificate? Thank you very much!

If she is like most women, her marriage certificate probably ties her birth name to her current last name which is probably the same as yours? Of course, she could be from a culture where a woman does not change names upon marriage??? It could be useful to get their marriage certificate in the immigration records now rather than later just to get it out of the way in case it gets lost between now and whenever??? Maybe she'll naturalize by the time he wants to join her and she could petition for him??? It's just some random thoughts..........

Dear all, thanks for your replies!

TheRealCanadian: The plan is to have my mother here first (for 2-3 years) to stay with us. And then apply for my father when he retires. During this period, they will be apart (one in US and one in Hong Kong). By applying GC for them separately, will it affect the chance for my father to get GC in the future?

BigJoe5: You are right, we usually don't change the last name after marriage. Your thoughts make sense! I am trying to save this step because the certificate is in Chinese. Btw, do you know if it will be sufficient to have any notary translation service in the US to translate the the marriage certificate?

Thanks!

TheRealCanadian: The plan is to have my mother here first (for 2-3 years) to stay with us. And then apply for my father when he retires. During this period, they will be apart (one in US and one in Hong Kong). By applying GC for them separately, will it affect the chance for my father to get GC in the future?

No. But if she has a GC before your father has one, it would hurt your father's ability to visit the US (they'll suspect that he'll want to overstay his visa to be with his wife).